Xmas Eve 2012-12-24 (NSFW PIC)

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Xmas Eve 2012-12-24

Post by Yamara »

Happy Xmas, ever'body!
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:
kingklash wrote:Even a Euryale hug would probably do less damage than one Shelly would give.
You think our bomb-Shel can't be tender? I wouldn't mind being the test subject (as long as Justin/Epimetheus doesn't mind) for this theory ;-)

(Dropping some legal tender into the pun jar.)
I'd be more for standing at Ground Zero for a Eury/Nudge pressing myself. But I dig tall chicks.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote:And now -- an actual link to 9 Chickweed Lane, including a clearer picture!
Whaddaya mean "actual link"?

Just look up there.

And the reason i didn't either copy the actual comic or hot-link it is because Brooke has asked us not to grab and repost them, and GoComics has been known to come down pretty hard on people who hot-link their content.

And hot-linking is Bad Manners.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Oopsie.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

You know, it's bad enough Christmas has become all about Santa and presents, and maybe I missed it, but when did Christmas become all about T&A?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:You know, it's bad enough Christmas has become all about Santa and presents, and maybe I missed it, but when did Christmas become all about T&A?
I'm ashamed at you, dear... If the main character of wapsi cannot post a pic of herself in a real nice xmas outfit, you will be moaning about real life ones next... :(
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beyonce+xmas+pictures
Now dont be so prudish!!!!
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan wrote:
Atomic wrote:And now -- an actual link to 9 Chickweed Lane, including a clearer picture!
Whaddaya mean "actual link"?

Just look up there.

And the reason i didn't either copy the actual comic or hot-link it is because Brooke has asked us not to grab and repost them, and GoComics has been known to come down pretty hard on people who hot-link their content.

And hot-linking is Bad Manners.
yes, but when someone reads that link on jan 4, it show the comic for that date, not the christmas message??? :roll:

If they are that *nal about it, what if you go back a day, and pick up the link for xmas from the '>' link??? I understand the author of that comic and more, has stopped comments due to juvenile posters and prudishly stupid site organizers.... :( :(
Leak

Post by Leak »

illiad wrote:If they are that *nal about it, what if you go back a day, and pick up the link for xmas from the '>' link???
That - and the link would actually work as a link if he added the missing "url=" back into the BBCode... ;)

EDIT: I just stumbled across Subnormality's christ-, errr, treemas page and had a good laugh... (direct link to the image as there's no dedicated page for it - yet.)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

illiad wrote:yes, but when someone reads that link on jan 4, it show the comic for that date, not the christmas message??? :roll:

If they are that *nal about it, what if you go back a day, and pick up the link for xmas from the '>' link??? I understand the author of that comic and more, has stopped comments due to juvenile posters and prudishly stupid site organizers.... :( :(
Actually, no - i picked up the link for that specific date.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:You know, it's bad enough Christmas has become all about Santa and presents, and maybe I missed it, but when did Christmas become all about T&A?
Who said that is all about T&A? Did I miss something?
Dave

Post by Dave »

That aspect has been part of the picture since before any of us here were born, I dare say. Clara Bow was doing the "Skimpily dressed Santa's helper" bit back in the 1920s, and I would not be at all surprised if there weren't similar images from the Victorian years as well. Victorian ones might have been even more risque... they had a penchant for byassing the rules against the portrayal of nudity by using "fantastic" settings and characters... fairies, nymphs, dryads, and so forth... to create "respectable art".

Christmas as it is practiced today in America is a composite. Even leaving aside the commerciality (which Charlie Brown was lamenting almost 50 years ago) it's an overlay of a (probably-rescheduled) Christian celebration, onto an older and very diverse collection of pagan solstice ceremonies and traditions. Some of those pagan traditions could well have been rather racy... you know, fire up the blood and passions and summon some personal heat into the darkest days of the year, in order to summon the Sun back from its retreat and restore life to the world.

There are many aspects to Christmas... reverence (Christian and otherwise), celebration of renewal (likewise), generosity, the closeness of family and friends, and just plain fun (and these days, a bit of skin-flashing is part of the latter at times).
slywlf

Post by slywlf »

Are you new to Wapsi Square or just trolling? Cleavage is neither disrespectful nor offensive, and totally normal, both in Wapsi world and the "real" world. Making snarky comments about such a charming, innocent and lovely picture simply makes you look like a prude or worse. For the record, I am a 58 year old hetero female, long time Wapsi fan, and would accept a hug from Euryale in a heartbeat, Christmas or any other time of the year. In case you hadn't noticed, this strip is not limited to the Christian mythos, nor has it ever showed disrespect for any religious leaning - it simply is what it is. If you want to be offended by something just read the papers; shootings, rape, fracking, war, homophobia - there is plenty out there to be offended about. But cleavage? In a comic that specializes in it? Get a life, and take it elsewhere! This is a venue for folks who love and care, not narrow minded critics with a chip on their shoulders! Have a Merry Christmas - elsewhere!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

slywlf wrote:
Are you new to Wapsi Square or just trolling? Cleavage is neither disrespectful nor offensive, and totally normal, both in Wapsi world and the "real" world. Making snarky comments about such a charming, innocent and lovely picture simply makes you look like a prude or worse. For the record, I am a 58 year old hetero female, long time Wapsi fan, and would accept a hug from Euryale in a heartbeat, Christmas or any other time of the year. In case you hadn't noticed, this strip is not limited to the Christian mythos, nor has it ever showed disrespect for any religious leaning - it simply is what it is. If you want to be offended by something just read the papers; shootings, rape, fracking, war, homophobia - there is plenty out there to be offended about. But cleavage? In a comic that specializes in it? Get a life, and take it elsewhere! This is a venue for folks who love and care, not narrow minded critics with a chip on their shoulders! Have a Merry Christmas - elsewhere!
Having read many of Bathorys Daughter's posts in thepast, I can definitely say she is neither a troll, nor someone with a chip on her shoulder... Can't she have an opinion, without being berated for it? Points discussed logically and/or passionately, sure. But there's a fine line between saying "I think you're wrong because..." and "How can you even say that!"

I mean, sure, Wapsi Square has characters that are, shall we say, well-endowded... so it kind of makes sense that they would appear on pinups, no less on Christmas than at other times. I get that. But at the same time, are people not allowed to reflect on the societal trends that make such pinups acceptable at a time of the year when there are so many more "worthy" things to think of? (Notice the quotes - different people will have different definitions/descriptions of what is worthy, to them...)

I, for one, don't care much about that trend, either. But in my case, I merely chose to not dwell on it, and not comment (until now) in the forum on the threads related to the pinups (and to not bookmark them as the latest-read page to come back to later). But I agree with Bathorys Daughter's sentiment. I find it sad that Christmas would get highjacked like that (which, admittedly, merely reflects on today's society - and I'm saying this as a generality, not about anyone in particular). But there probably isn't much I can do about it, except to continue celebrating the birth of Jesus in the same way I have for years. If people can be influenced by what I do, all the better. But I won't get in a shouting match over it, or put down anyone for it, either...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Thing is, it does come close to being like shouting "fire" in a crowded theater.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
illiad

Post by illiad »

lake_wrangler, et al... the main point is this is nothing more than you will see walking down the street on a hot summer day!...
and do tell me, what can these 'poor' well endowed girls do about it??? Where a guy can at least take off his top to cool down, what can a woman do?? - and I bet I would not see a woman complaining, if he were an attractive one!!!

( cue for pablo to do a good pic of Justin for the girls???? :mrgreen: )

Check your watch people, it's the 21st century!! :) if you want to live in the 19th century, with their ancient morals, WTH are you doing reading this stuff???

There are girls I know that won't go into a public house alone, but when I accompany them, it does not give them license to groan about what happens in there!! (rough talk, bad jokes, too much drink, etc....)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:lake_wrangler, et al... the main point is this is nothing more than you will see walking down the street on a hot summer day!...
I'm aware of that. really, I am. But you are missing the point of our argument (such as it was), which was to question whether Christmas is really the best time to focus on that aspect of things, when Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Christ.
illiad wrote:and do tell me, what can these 'poor' well endowed girls do about it??? Where a guy can at least take off his top to cool down, what can a woman do??
Breathing yet opaque material? Plenty of liquids (and by that, I mean ingested... 8-) )
illiad wrote:Check your watch people, it's the 21st century!! :) if you want to live in the 19th century, with their ancient morals, WTH are you doing reading this stuff???
I got you beat on that one... I try to live by 1st century morals... ;)
And yes, I have questioned myself at times, as to why I continue to read Wapsi Square... I even stopped reading it, for a while. Truth is, I find the story interesting. So I try to overlook the "obvious" attributes of our protagonists. I may still reconsider and stop reading, should it become too overt. But in the meantime, I won't come down on others who "enjoy the sights", so to speak. But I may still decide to not leave unanswered someone's derogatory comments putting someone else down for their more prudish attitude, though I will remain polite in my response.
illiad wrote:There are girls I know that won't go into a public house alone, but when I accompany them, it does not give them license to groan about what happens in there!! (rough talk, bad jokes, too much drink, etc....)
Why not? If they went there for the sole purpose of groaning and looking down on people that may mean they are acting like trolls. On the other hand, if they are there for the your company and some fun, why can't they complain if some people take their "fun" a little too far? Just saying...
illiad

Post by illiad »

well I'll take that point by point... :P :)
- yeah, well, blame Dickens, Americans and Coke for massive promotion and commercialization... why aint you in church, boy??? LOL

- huh? so how do you cool down on a hot day, **in only 5 seconds** ??? especially if you dressed for a cool day, and it heats up...

- "1st century morals" oooh, you may have trumped yourself there.. I guess you mean 'back to basics', but it wasn't that simple back then, as a quick search will show... :/

- why do you question yourself?? sounds like you have had a too strict religious upbringing..
You have to realize that Mexican and European people (that I know personally - I married a Portuguese girl.. :) ) have a totally different view, they ARE very religious, but are not affected by the extremes pushed by a large part of the English speaking world.. I have very close friends in Poland, Spain, Austria, Greece, Turkey, that still keep up standards of feminine beauty - anything more than that is *just not* considered... and any interference is considered extremely bad, a breach of honor...

- you totally missed the last point, it shows you do not understand that some can be frightened to go into a certain place...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

You have never been to South America during Christmas. You are looking at this with an old European point of view, mostly caused by the fact that Europe is cold during December. You are also missing the fact that the Holiday Season is not just Christmas but many beliefs shoehorned together by centuries of melding. So lighten up and try to open your mind to this instead of hitting it with a hammer (I know you are a more open thinker that that)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:well I'll take that point by point... :P :)
- yeah, well, blame Dickens, Americans and Coke for massive promotion and commercialization...
Yeah, probably...
illiad wrote:why aint you in church, boy??? LOL
Should I be? Right now? :o
Besides, Christianity is more than attendance... it's also a matter of the contents of one's heart...
illiad wrote:- huh? so how do you cool down on a hot day, **in only 5 seconds** ??? especially if you dressed for a cool day, and it heats up...
Obviously, my quick answer was not meant to be a catch-all... (although drinking cold water will help...)
Cynics would add: "Next time, just watch the weather forecast, will you?" (Of course, that does not take into account people who have no access to such reports, or the level of "accuracy" of such reports - or lack thereof... ;) )
illiad wrote:- "1st century morals" oooh, you may have trumped yourself there.. I guess you mean 'back to basics', but it wasn't that simple back then, as a quick search will show... :/
I was using similar terminology to yours, to refer to Biblical standards, such as to dress modestly, or that "if you look at a woman lustfully, you've already committed adultery with her in your heart"... that kind of stuff. I was not referring to all that was actually going on in that first century, here and there, but what was taught by Jesus and the apostles, in that first century. (Besides, there never was any "good old days"...) I guess the wink at the similar language fell flat. It happens.
illiad wrote:- why do you question yourself?? sounds like you have had a too strict religious upbringing..
Actually, I think one should always regularly question themselves over their actions and their motives, to make sure they are not doing or saying things they should not be doing or saying. Like Tina once said, one can be evil and still do good... inversely, one can be/do good (or something that is not in and of itself considered bad) for wrong reasons... The only way to be sure is to question oneself, comparing oneself to whatever standard to which they hold themselves.
illiad wrote:You have to realize that Mexican and European people (that I know personally - I married a Portuguese girl.. :) ) have a totally different view, they ARE very religious, but are not affected by the extremes pushed by a large part of the English speaking world..
True. Refer to previous answer.
illiad wrote:I have very close friends in Poland, Spain, Austria, Greece, Turkey, that still keep up standards of feminine beauty - anything more than that is *just not* considered... and any interference is considered extremely bad, a breach of honor...
Interference, or inference? I am guessing the latter. Otherwise, I do not understand what you are trying to say, here.
illiad wrote:- you totally missed the last point, it shows you do not understand that some can be frightened to go into a certain place...
True. I had missed that. So in your example, they are willingly entering a place where they know there will be coarse language, racy jokes, general drunkenness, so much so that they won't go there unless they are accompanied by someone (like you), presumably to protect them, yet decry the very thing the keeps them from going there alone. Is that correct?

I admit it is a fine line to walk, and it would be easy to cross into Trollish and/or hypocritical behavior. But then, is their intent to go there so they can decry those things, or are they going there because they know that they will have fun there, such as can be more difficult to do/find elsewhere, but still find it sad that the only place they can have that fun is also inhabited by people who have "too much" fun?

---------------

By the way, Merry Christmas and a happy new year! May your life be filled with joy and peace, and may you prosper in all you do.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Hey, I agree with on the most, except the last two... you seem very like those guys in 'big bang theory'... and as much experience with women as sheldon..
eg, you seem to not know the difference between 'willingly entering' and 'not able to enter' ?????

(link probs.. do it yourself.... :roll: )
youtu.be/Mj4oK7it-t8

youtu.be/w1KxYV09w0M