Follow Me 2012-12-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Re: Follow Me 2012-12-18

Post by NOTDilbert »

Somone mentioned the nicknames....
The Chessmaster
the Demon Shepherd
The Sage of the Forest

Sounds kinda like someone's building a Wapsiverse version of the Tarot's major arcana. :geek:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Atomic wrote:Monica may be facing such a situation. Jaguar Girl, GGs at her command, and full squadron of MIB's at her back -- but -- She Must Not Die In Turmoil (crawl archive quick and find it), because if she does, the Chimera loses it's owner/controller! Hilarity (?) ensues.
I always thought the "She Must Not Die In Turmoil" thing was that If she did her Demons would take over the ship like Tina's did
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

NOTDilbert wrote:Somone mentioned the nicknames....
The Chessmaster
the Demon Shepherd
The Sage of the Forest

Sounds kinda like someone's building a Wapsiverse version of the Tarot's major arcana. :geek:

Works for me :D
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Yamara wrote:My point, such as I had one, was to tease Lily's very sensible reluctance to get involved with the Powers That Be, who are suddenly coming around to find her-- as opposed to Suzy's eagerness to approach them, that was met with demonic rebuke.
Oh right, I'd forgotten about that.
NOTDilbert wrote:Somone mentioned the nicknames....
The Chessmaster
the Demon Shepherd
The Sage of the Forest

A Wapsi Tarot deck!! I love it! :D
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Mark N wrote:
Atomic wrote:Monica may be facing such a situation. Jaguar Girl, GGs at her command, and full squadron of MIB's at her back -- but -- She Must Not Die In Turmoil (crawl archive quick and find it), because if she does, the Chimera loses it's owner/controller! Hilarity (?) ensues.
I always thought the "She Must Not Die In Turmoil" thing was that If she did her Demons would take over the ship like Tina's did
But she can't die now, so that doesn't still apply, does it?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

davids4250 wrote:
scantrontb wrote: to allow the real Brandi the time or plausible denial-ability to be "elsewhere" doing something important at the same time..."
Except that Brandi can POIT. If she needs plausible deniability, she can be one place one second and anywhere else the next. That provides plenty of deniability. "I could not have been in Minneapolis because I was with the President in Washington four minutes later."
POITing is such sweet travel.

or the ability to appear in public in the same place and time as her supposed "boss" so that she, the REAL "ChessMaster" is now assumed to be a NON-important PAWN instead, ie Taking orders vice Giving them, and that way she is now out of the lime-light, and back into the shadows as a good MIB should be (Tsillah's help not withstanding, of course)... if she poits to somewhere else to explain things like that, that still doesn't get her out of the line of fire as a VIP... in fact it makes it WORSE! ("oh, AND she has contact with the President, ok move her UP on the list of targets we need to kill off" said random terrorist to another)
Yamara wrote:Probably what is terrifying Lily right now. 'I've done nothing to earn this attention, so I must be a pawn that's going to be sacrificed in some kind of horrifically spectacular way.' But she doesn't know Brandi as we do, and by extension, is probably grossly underestimating herself.

OH!? and would this be the SAME Brandi that told Monica "she could plan for someone to cut out THEIR OWN TONGUE!, but wouldn't hurt a fly MYSELF" Brandi?, yeah, Right... i'll bet that Pratt KNOWS that whole self-de-tongueing-plan thing either from experiencing it via the FBI side of things or probably just as her reputation of being "The Chessmaster" did...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

scantrontb wrote:
Yamara wrote:Probably what is terrifying Lily right now. 'I've done nothing to earn this attention, so I must be a pawn that's going to be sacrificed in some kind of horrifically spectacular way.' But she doesn't know Brandi as we do, and by extension, is probably grossly underestimating herself.

OH!? and would this be the SAME Brandi that told Monica "she could plan for someone to cut out THEIR OWN TONGUE!, but wouldn't hurt a fly MYSELF" Brandi?, yeah, Right... i'll bet that Pratt KNOWS that whole self-de-tongueing-plan thing either from experiencing it via the FBI side of things or probably just as her reputation of being "The Chessmaster" did...
Why, yes. The same Brandi coming unhinged at the news of Jin's mortality who said this in private conversation with Jin while contemplating how to avoid Monica's sacrifice:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/notthereyet/

Brandi could not avoid personal involvement in the necessary act of putting Monica in harm's way--except by foisting the plan on to a successive Earth, the Brandi of which would remain in the dark until after the fact.

Brandi does not like harming people, but her psychic break was in being tricked into killing an innocent when a clever man used one as a human shield. Her mind has been running duplicitous scenarios ever since, and with the mental horsepower of a Titan added on, that is automatically a more horrific power than merely being able to squash the solar system.

In his Letters, JRR Tolkien once fielded a question of what would have happened if other powerful characters had taken the Ring. He surmised that Elrond and Galadriel would follow a typical pattern of gathering armies, and so on. But the worst would be if Gandalf took up the Ring. Tolkien said that he would have been strong enough to resist his mind being taken over, but it would have still corrupted everything he did. He said Gandalf would have enforced behaviour that was deemed right, "until good would seem evil". This was how Saruman fell, and he didn't even get a hold of the Ring itself, merely destroyed by desire for it.

Brandi wasn't as worried Monica (or anyone else) was going to be sacrificed for the greater good, like Gollum. She may hate, but does not fear, the sacrifice at the volcano.

She fears the sacrifice in the front yard. She fears becoming Saruman.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

The Chess Master .......... Price - Becoming a Golem
the Demon Shepherd ...... Price - Forced Immortality
The Sage of the Forest .... Price - 80,000 years of exile
Being a friend of the above ... Priceless!

For everything else there's Pawn

You're a pawn ... You're a pawn ... You're a pawn ... You're a pawn ......
Last edited by Bathorys Daughter on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:The Chess Master .......... Price - Becoming a Golem
the Demon Shepherd ...... Price - Forced Immortality
The Sage of the Forest .... Price - 80,000 years of exile
Being a friend of the of the above ... Priceless!

For everything else there's Pawn

You're a pawn ... You're a pawn ... You're a pawn ... You're a pawn ......
Now that was a good on BD. :D
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

So that's Monica's code-name: "Demon Shepherd"?

Does that mean Doubt and company are the "Lost Sheep"?

And when does Panic come charging out of M, driving a 1969 Dodge Charger in bright red with an "O1" on the side?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

jwhouk wrote:And when does Panic come charging out of M, driving a 1969 Dodge Charger in bright red with an "O1" on the side?

SOMETIME OVER THE WEEKEND
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

jwhouk wrote:And when does Panic come charging out of M, driving a 1969 Dodge Charger in bright red with an "O1" on the side?
There's a ambulatory Pun Jar looking for you and whistling "Dixie".
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Watch it, Bo! Roscoe's hot on our tail!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Blessed are the Cheesemasters?
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

kingklash wrote:Blessed are the Cheesemasters?
Why is just the Greek blessed?