Automotive design horror

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Automotive design horror

Post by Fairportfan »

Once there was an Incredibly Ugly Custom Cadillac...

That was an amateur project.

As the old joke says "To err is human. To really f**ck up requires a computer."

Well, in all things, the pros beat the amateurs.

Say hello to a "modern re-interpretation" of something that should have been smothered at birth in 1935:

Ugur Sahin Design gives us the absolutely stunning Rolls-Royce Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe II

[quote name='Jacob Joseph/DigitalTrends']The custom Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe II from Ugur Sahin Design is a modern version of a custom prewar Rolls-Royce with mysterious origins.

Cars might get faster, safer, and more fuel efficient all the time, but there is some compelling evidence that not all of the changes in automotive design have necessarily been progress. Cars, and especially luxury cars, built before the Second World War would often be built by the manufacturer as just a chassis, with custom coachwork being added later by a third party. These are some of the most beautiful cars ever made, but the practice has almost completely died out since then, with just a few examples surviving. You might have heard of Ugur Sahin Design (USD) from their Soleil ANADI Corvette-based prototype, a pleasantly surprising example of how the art of coach building isn't entirely dead.

USD has now focused their efforts on the Rolls-Royce Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe II, a modern reinterpretation of a custom Rolls-Royce, known as the Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe, which was built in Belgium in 1935. The car survived the war and after undergoing extensive restoration is now in the possession of the Peterson Museum in Los Angeles, California. It is known that the car was built by Henri Jonckheere and his son Joseph Jonckheere, unfortunately the Jonckheere Works factory was destroyed in WWII, along with all of their records. Sadly, details such as who commissioned and designed the car have been lost to history.

The USD reinterpretation treads a difficult line. As Ugur Sahin explain in the press release "It is challenging to re-interpret something from that past which has a very imposing and impressive character like the original car, into a modern shape without losing its core essence. Many things like the proportions and lines, the impression some shapes give, are very essential to re-capture in the new design. While keeping the past DNA, injecting modern design elements which are in coherence with the past, is always a challenging task for every designer. It was important to avoid creating a design which is too modern by changing the original proportions too much, while still adding and changing elements in a certain way to avoid creating an outdated impression."

Elements like the unique round doors and the huge grille were musts, although USD interestingly chose to de-emphasize the large fin on the back of the original car. USD say that they are in talks with some buyers about the feasibility of the custom coachwork, so there may actually be a few of these out on the road soon. It has to be said that the design is gorgeous, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that USD will actually move forward with the project.[/quote]
If by "stunning", they mean "akin to being hit between the eyes by an ugly stick", i'd say they're spot on.

If you haven't already gouged out your own eyes with a spork, more photos are here.

=================

Meanwhile, i was wondering about that car mentioned in the first graf - the "Anadi". Well, it's not hideous, but it does look amazingly like a Lola GT:

==================

And here's the 1935 original (you can see the doors better) Somehow it doesn't look quite so ... wrong.

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Re: Automotive design horror

Post by Jabberwonky »

Okay, that Frankencaddy at the top is evidence that some people should be kept away from fiberglass resin.
The Anadi doesn't do much for me either way. It's not different enough to thrill me.
But I like the Jonckhere. Both versions. The USD interpretation looks like somthing the Shadow would drive nowadays. The original has an originality that makes it distinct without being over the top. I'd own it. Couldn't afford the insurance on it, I'm sure, but I'd drive it to the store for groceries.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I rather like the FrankenCaddy AND the new Jonckheere. But then again, I also rather like the Pontiac Aztek & remain convinced everyone else only hated it because they were told to.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I rather liked the Aztek when i was driving for Hertz.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I liked the Aztek for the odd reason that it looks like an armored car to me.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

The original Jonckheere looks kind like the 1930's Batmobile from the early action comics - it had an even MORE pronounced back (Batwing) fin. I agree, the newer one looks like a superhero's/supervillian's ride.

Ad a few green patches to the caddy and you have the Jokermobile, complete with pedestrian-devouring front assembly (can't really call it a grille, too big for a bumper....) :geek:

Geekman, AWAY!
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I guess I don't have as much of a problem with that "reimagined" J-car. It does look Batmobile-ish, that I'll agree with.

That old Caddy Futurama special, however, is U-G-L-Y. (Automotive history, yes, but UGH-ly.)

That Anadi looks like a finalist for a Corvette redesign, personally.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

I actually like the design of the car. It's not something I'd ever want for myself, but I think it looks kind of retro-cool. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:I guess I don't have as much of a problem with that "reimagined" J-car. It does look Batmobile-ish, that I'll agree with.
But doing that to a Rolls-Royce...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

MerchManDan wrote:I rather like the FrankenCaddy AND the new Jonckheere. But then again, I also rather like the Pontiac Aztek & remain convinced everyone else only hated it because they were told to.
The only reason I dislike the Aztek is the damned rear light display. Does it have to shine right in my eyes? Really? The only one worse was the Mercury Mountaineer. Early designs had the lights really bright, and lighter colours in their rear light glass, and on a level with most drivers eyes(unless you were driving a truck or SUV).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir