Got arthritis? Eat worms!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Got arthritis? Eat worms!

Post by Fairportfan »

Worms - a medical miracle for arthritis sufferers?
David Worthington/SmartPlanet wrote:Sufferers of painful autoimmune diseases could soon be prescribed a ‘new’ treatment that would effectively remodulate immune systems without involving potent biological drugs and the side effects that come with them. The patient just has to take a shot of pig worm eggs.

Biopharmaceutical company Coronado Biosciences is conducting clinical trials using the eggs of the pig whipworm to regulate immune activity. The treatment is centered on the “hygiene hypothesis,” which asserts that today’s sterile, germ-free homes can actually make us sick. Lack of exposure to pathogens could prevent immune systems from properly regulating, explained Dr. Bobby Sandage, CEO of Coronado.

Worms co-evolved with all animals, dating as far back as dinosaurs. Foreign bodies usually trigger an acute immune response when they infect animals, but the worms figured out a way to the dampen it, creating a potentially symbiotic relationship with the host organism. Anti-inflammatory cytokines - the messenger cells of the immune system - are created and produce a therapeutic response that could treat chronic diseases.

Pig parasites were chosen because they cannot thrive in the human body. The eggs remain solely in the GI tract and will eventually die out or be digested, Sandage said. There is no permanent infection, and there is little risk of transmitting the worms to another person. There’s also little risk of the worms evolving, he noted.

“They can’t be human parasites pathogen because those actually cause problems,” Sandage said. As for drug delivery - you wouldn’t need to swallow a handful of worms. Patients just drink a colorless, odorless, and tasteless solution. Today’s most common biological drugs must be injected subcutaneously.

My autoimmune disease, which is similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis, began while I was a senior in high school. The treatments can be toxic and over the long term. Chugging down a whipworm shooter might sound odd, but is preferable to taking my medicines indefinitely because the drugs can carry risks of health problems.

I’m certain that many other autoimmune suffers would agree to at least try it, and hundreds already are.

Coronado is initially focusing on Crohn’s disease, MS, type 1 diabetes, and ulcerative colitis. Clinical trials for autism and rheumatological diseases could follow. Phase II trials are underway for Crohn’s, MS, and ulcerative colitis patients to determine the effectiveness of those treatments. Phase III trials could begin as soon as 2014, and the product could come to market as early as 2016-2017, Sandage said.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Re: Got arthritis? Eat worms!

Post by Jabberwonky »

So all these years of people telling me to go eat worms...it's a good thing?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

The right worms...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:The right worms...
True. Trying to deal with tummy problems by eating a Dune sandworm would be... challenging.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Yeah, How to Eat Fried Worms is not a health manual.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

You people are so silly...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Oh, you wouldn't have us any other way... ;)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

MY ears pricked up when I read 'type I diabetes'....Here's hopin' :)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

NOTDilbert wrote:MY ears pricked up when I read 'type I diabetes'....Here's hopin' :)
You must be a talented lover...
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:MY ears pricked up when I read 'type I diabetes'....Here's hopin' :)
.....I...have no idea what that means..... :?:

The article mentioned researching a cure for several autoimmune conditions; type I diabetes was mentioned among them - a condition I live with.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
.....I...have no idea what that means..... :?:

The article mentioned researching a cure for several autoimmune conditions; type I diabetes was mentioned among them - a condition I live with.
I was trying to tactfully comment on your talented ears...
Julie

Post by Julie »

Interesting...I've read before that scientists believe that our over-sterilized lifestyles are the reason why more people are developing more allergies. I wonder if this worm treatment would help there too. I've been dealing with awful allergies my whole life, and the immunotherapy shots suck...and the medications don't work very well anymore (they just make life liveable). I'd drink worm eggs if it made me able to go outside or dust my home without having a terrible allergy-attack...and I'm sure my grandmother would too if it meant she could eat restaurant food without worrying if there's Yellow Dye #5 in anything on her plate (she has to carry an epi-pen in her purse just in case).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
True. Trying to deal with tummy problems by eating a Dune sandworm would be... challenging.
Doesn't this fall under the category of Never eating anything bigger than your head?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

bmonk wrote:
Dave wrote:
Doesn't this fall under the category of Never eating anything bigger than your head?
Or your house.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Julie wrote:Interesting...I've read before that scientists believe that our over-sterilized lifestyles are the reason why more people are developing more allergies. I wonder if this worm treatment would help there too. I've been dealing with awful allergies my whole life, and the immunotherapy shots suck...and the medications don't work very well anymore (they just make life liveable). I'd drink worm eggs if it made me able to go outside or dust my home without having a terrible allergy-attack...and I'm sure my grandmother would too if it meant she could eat restaurant food without worrying if there's Yellow Dye #5 in anything on her plate (she has to carry an epi-pen in her purse just in case).
Try finding a local beekeeper - honey made from local plants you're allergic to can help de-sensitize you to pollen allergies. :geek:
Julie

Post by Julie »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Julie wrote:Interesting...I've read before that scientists believe that our over-sterilized lifestyles are the reason why more people are developing more allergies. I wonder if this worm treatment would help there too. I've been dealing with awful allergies my whole life, and the immunotherapy shots suck...and the medications don't work very well anymore (they just make life liveable). I'd drink worm eggs if it made me able to go outside or dust my home without having a terrible allergy-attack...and I'm sure my grandmother would too if it meant she could eat restaurant food without worrying if there's Yellow Dye #5 in anything on her plate (she has to carry an epi-pen in her purse just in case).
Try finding a local beekeeper - honey made from local plants you're allergic to can help de-sensitize you to pollen allergies. :geek:
Oh I'm very familiar with that "cure". :P There's a North Dallas Honey Company that most of the groceries in the area keep stocked. :) It's worked at least well enough to keep me from suffering extensively during the spring and fall in the past. However, I'm on a very carb restricted diet right now, so it's hard to get enough honey in my system for it to do me any good. Until my doctor lifts my restrictions, I'll just make mental notes to let any future children I may have play in the dirt without making a big fuss over it. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Julie wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:
Oh I'm very familiar with that "cure". :P There's a North Dallas Honey Company that most of the groceries in the area keep stocked. :) It's worked at least well enough to keep me from suffering extensively during the spring and fall in the past. However, I'm on a very carb restricted diet right now, so it's hard to get enough honey in my system for it to do me any good. Until my doctor lifts my restrictions, I'll just make mental notes to let any future children I may have play in the dirt without making a big fuss over it. :P
A local beekeeper friend may also be able to collect the pollen itself for you--it is supposed to help with allergies. But it sounds dangerous.