Wreck-It Ralph

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Re: Wreck-It Ralph

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
Julie wrote: While I wouldn't have labeled Brave as "Standard Disney Plot" anything, I have to admit that I was very surprised that Wreck It Ralph wasn't a Pixar movie. Even after watching it and not seeing the Pixar logo at the beginning, I still had to be corrected by my husband on the way out of the theater when I said it was "one of Pixar's best movies." :oops: For some reason I still don't separate Disney CG animiated films from Pixar films in my mind...and it just felt very Pixar in its story-telling.
Mmm... I'm going to have to disagree here. This is the exact same Shrek-ish plotline that has been bumming around Disney studios since Beauty and the Beast.
Um, no, unless you were looking at the wrong movie.

Edit: disregard, caffeine and sugar deprived me posting.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

As far as "Standard Plotline" I feel like I have to point out that there is nothing new to be told. There are only new ways to tell old stories. The basic plotline for every movie/story out there has been played out since people first started to tell stories. We just invented new ways to tell them.

And as far as Wreck-it Ralph... I loved it! The scenes with the bad guy group were my favorite :)
ImageImage
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

It wasn't till my second viewing - i can't recall if i've mentioned this here - that i noticed that the cops' badges said "To heat and serve".
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Aw man, now I wish I'd sat closer to the screen because I missed that entirely! Good catch, FPF.
chibichibi01 wrote:As far as "Standard Plotline" I feel like I have to point out that there is nothing new to be told. There are only new ways to tell old stories. The basic plotline for every movie/story out there has been played out since people first started to tell stories. We just invented new ways to tell them.
A theory holds that there are only seven* stories in all of human literature.

*I forget the precise number, but I'm pretty sure it's seven.

Also, this happened:
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (248.13 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Julie

Post by Julie »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
Julie wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Agreed. Brave was "Standard Disney Plot #4" and Wreck it Ralph was Toy Story for the video game generation.
While I wouldn't have labeled Brave as "Standard Disney Plot" anything, I have to admit that I was very surprised that Wreck It Ralph wasn't a Pixar movie. Even after watching it and not seeing the Pixar logo at the beginning, I still had to be corrected by my husband on the way out of the theater when I said it was "one of Pixar's best movies." :oops: For some reason I still don't separate Disney CG animiated films from Pixar films in my mind...and it just felt very Pixar in its story-telling.
Mmm... I'm going to have to disagree here. This is the exact same Shrek-ish plotline that has been bumming around Disney studios since Beauty and the Beast.

EDIT: My pardon, I thought you were talking about Wreck-It Ralph. Paint him green and give him a scottish accent, you'll never tell the difference.

As far as Brave, it's the same ol' 'tomboy heroine' plotline that has been an spit out every time some feminist group complains about all the 'helpless princesses'. See also: Pocahontas, and Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Having a tomboy heroine doesn't mean that the plotline is the same. It just means that certain characteristics of the heroine are the same. :) I actually feel that the story told in Brave is very different from the ones told in Pocahontas and Hunchback (and you left out Mulan in your tomboy list). Let's see...Pocahontas has love crossing racial boundaries and stopping a war. Hunchback has a poorly treated person befriending two lovely folks (who fall in love) and then the three fight against the evils of the man in power to save the gypsies. Mulan (since I brought it up) has a girl who pretends to be a man so that she can take her father's place in the army, stops an invading army, and then after being discovered, she still saves her country from the evil invaders. Brave, OTOH, has no love story, and has no "stop war/save a group of people/save a country" aspects to its story. It's more about coming of age, earning respect and independence while learning to value the relationships in your family.

Oh...and I also don't think that Wreck It Ralph is Shrek set in videogames. I see where it has similarities (the bad guy is actually the good guy), but Shrek is a love story. Wreck It Ralph most certainly isn't (at least not for the bad guy who's a good guy). :)

EDIT: Oh...and also...this:
chibichibi01 wrote:As far as "Standard Plotline" I feel like I have to point out that there is nothing new to be told. There are only new ways to tell old stories. The basic plotline for every movie/story out there has been played out since people first started to tell stories. We just invented new ways to tell them.

And as far as Wreck-it Ralph... I loved it! The scenes with the bad guy group were my favorite :)
Though I'm not as inclined to that that there's nothing new to be told. I just think that most of the available basic storylines have already been used. It would take a really creative person thinking outside the box to stumble across a story idea that hasn't already been used in some form or fashion. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Get Milked 2007-03-16.jpg
Get Milked 2007-03-16.jpg (65.37 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Found online:

(SLightly inaccurate - her hoodie strings and he hair tie are both supposed to be rel licorice whips, but, hey ... cyoot is cyoot.)
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

and her pants/legs are supposed to be striped like candy-canes, too.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:and her pants/legs are supposed to be striped like candy-canes, too.
And different from each other. I can't believe i missed that

Her skirt is Reese's Peanut Butter Cup wrappers, which explains why it stays in place when she's upside down...
=====================
=====================
mike weber