New Starbucks in restroom of Starbucks in Kroger?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

New Starbucks in restroom of Starbucks in Kroger?

Post by Fairportfan »

Is there really a Starbucks on every corner?
Tyler Falk /SmartPlanet wrote:Like McDonald’s, Starbucks seems to be everywhere you go in the United States.

But just how deeply has Starbucks engrained itself into the U.S.? Are they really on every corner like they seem to be? Now we have a better idea thanks to James Davenport, a PhD candidate from the University of Washington.

He created a Voronoi diagram to find the farthest point from a Starbucks (including only franchise locations, not stores located in a grocery store, for example) in the United States. The farthest you can be from a Starbucks in the U.S. is 140 miles, or about the distance from Washington, D.C. to Philadelphia. To put it another way, nobody in the U.S. is more than 140 miles from a Pumpkin Spice Latte:

And he created this graph that show just how close we all are to a Starbucks.

That’s right, almost everyone in the U.S. lives within 100 miles of a Starbucks. But even more fascinating is how the proximity to Starbucks relates to urban U.S. population. From Davenport:

There are ~311 million people living in the USA, with 82% living in urbanized areas. One might define urbanization in the modern era as the distance to the nearest Starbucks. An “urban” environment would therefore be anyplace within a 20 mile radius. Yes, more than 80% of the USA (that’s 250,000,000 people) live within 20 miles of a Starbucks.

There you have it, like it or not, Starbucks is urban America.
(I note that the map does not seem to include Alaska)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Re: New Starbucks in restroom of Starbucks in Kroger?

Post by jwhouk »

It's official, then. I live in rural America.

The nearest Starbucks to me is 26 minutes away.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Mmm. Mine is about 5 minutes away... and now i have a hankering for a salty caramel frapp
ImageImage
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

Euh, what is a starbuck ? ;) (ok not really)

But sorry, paying 4x the price of a good coffee anywhere around for a binge that smells of old socks, no thanks !

Ok, I'm a bit of a coffee snob, owning a machine that takes only freshly roasted beans bought from a local torrefacteur, grind them at the right level, and pour high pressure mineral water at the right temperature tru it to get a coffee, not the aforementionned swill. (I have also french presses and Italian vapetto but uses them rarely). But still, i cannot understand why starbuck seems to be so popular in the states. Here (France), what they serve is frankly horrible. I know it is hip, but this goes only so far.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

And according to their commercials Mcdonald's McCafe drinks score higher than Starbucks in taste tests. Make of that what you will.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

alj_ws wrote:Euh, what is a starbuck ? ;) (ok not really)

But sorry, paying 4x the price of a good coffee anywhere around for a binge that smells of old socks, no thanks !

Ok, I'm a bit of a coffee snob, owning a machine that takes only freshly roasted beans bought from a local torrefacteur, grind them at the right level, and pour high pressure mineral water at the right temperature tru it to get a coffee, not the aforementionned swill. (I have also french presses and Italian vapetto but uses them rarely). But still, i cannot understand why starbuck seems to be so popular in the states. Here (France), what they serve is frankly horrible. I know it is hip, but this goes only so far.
Coffee is NOT just Coffee. Warning: NSFW, NSFK, or NSF fragile keyboards and clean monitors. You have been warned!

I'm saving up for a new French Press(mine disappeared via the BTTH gang). I used to own a Capresso with a dedicated water line, but that also left. I have a decent coffeemaker and a nice mill to grind my beans fresh. I also hate when folks can't tell the difference between an espresso, latte, and cappuccino, and dare to bitch at me because, "You're ordering it wrong". My response, "Please. I've been drinking coffee before you got out of diapers."
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Leak

Post by Leak »

shadowinthelight wrote:And according to their commercials Mcdonald's McCafe drinks score higher than Starbucks in taste tests. Make of that what you will.
Well, we've got several McCafes here and zero Starbucks, so...

But yeah, even by Austrian standards the coffee at a McCafe is good. I could have done without them also selling Bubble Tea (the latest fad here) now, though...
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

The nearest Starbucks is over 80 miles away--but still too close. :P

I really am rural, huh?
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

This kinda echos another stat I remember hearing: 80% of humaity lives within 20 miles of a coastline.

Tsunami/extiction impactor fans take note..... :)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

NOTDilbert wrote:This kinda echos another stat I remember hearing: 80% of humaity lives within 20 miles of a coastline.

Tsunami/extiction impactor fans take note..... :)
I'm looking forward to that day. I remember a while back two separate psychics drew identical maps of what the world would look like after the big one hits. We will end up with the coast moving close to us. Hello rise in property values! :D
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Leak wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:And according to their commercials Mcdonald's McCafe drinks score higher than Starbucks in taste tests. Make of that what you will.

But yeah, even by Austrian standards the coffee at a McCafe is good. I could have done without them also selling Bubble Tea (the latest fad here) now, though...
McCafe (at least here in the States) is the beverage, not the joint where you get it.

Personally, i find coffee in all forms revolting.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Here in the Frozen North, Tim Horton's coffee rules over us all. Robin's, Second Cup and - of course - Starbucks all have their places, but for the average Canuck, nothing beats a double-double from Timmy's. For the same reason that Starbucks is so big in the States, I suspect: It's all marketing.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Leak

Post by Leak »

Fairportfan wrote:
Leak wrote:

McCafe (at least here in the States) is the beverage, not the joint where you get it.
Well, it's called a McCafé (with it's own counter and seats and everything) here, and you find them insides certain McDonalds stores...
Personally, i find coffee in all forms revolting.
Caffeinate the heretic!!1!eins

That's one of the good things about Nespresso capsules - there's so many different ones to choose from... just don't forget to throw in some milk, as I can't stand pure coffee either.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Not 100% on topic...but our brilliant leader (aka Paul) shared this on his Facebook yesterday...and it made me laugh...
Attachments
Starbucks.jpg
Starbucks.jpg (32.75 KiB) Viewed 13363 times
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote:Not 100% on topic...but our brilliant leader (aka Paul) shared this on his Facebook yesterday...and it made me laugh...
Simpler view of the same thought:

"If men got pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament."
=====================
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

MerchManDan wrote:Here in the Frozen North, Tim Horton's coffee rules over us all. Robin's, Second Cup and - of course - Starbucks all have their places, but for the average Canuck, nothing beats a double-double from Timmy's. For the same reason that Starbucks is so big in the States, I suspect: It's all marketing.
I guess I must not be average, Canuck though I be... I don't drink coffee... :P

However, I absolutely concur on the near ubiquitous status of Tim Horton's. They make decent sandwiches and soup, too. And they have an excellent selection of donuts, muffins, and other assorted pastries.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I visited the Tim Horton's franchise at the Military base near Kandahar. Had to lay over there for three days when snow prevented landings at Bagram. (There was a Canadian unit there at the time.) Nice doughnuts, didn't try the coffee...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

MerchManDan wrote:Here in the Frozen North, Tim Horton's coffee rules over us all. Robin's, Second Cup and - of course - Starbucks all have their places, but for the average Canuck, nothing beats a double-double from Timmy's. For the same reason that Starbucks is so big in the States, I suspect: It's all marketing.
I used to cross the borders on a weekend trip(mostly to paint the amazing scenic places), and I found that place...interesting. It was nothing to write home about at the time. I suspect that it's gotten better with age, as so many talk about it these days.
I still like Chi-town's Huck Finn with the Texas Donut delight (GIANT deep-fried donut with a HUGE scoop of ice cream and whipped cream on top). I mean, the donut is about as big as my head! My sister used to drag me there when she was learning to drive as compensation for keeping me out late(working 6-12's and going to bed at one am was rough).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

lake_wrangler wrote:I guess I must not be average, Canuck though I be... I don't drink coffee... :P
D'oh! Sorry lake_wrangler, I keep forgetting I'm not the only Canadian here - and any sweeping generalization I make will probably be countered by facts. ;)
lake_wrangler wrote:However, I absolutely concur on the near ubiquitous status of Tim Horton's. They make decent sandwiches and soup, too. And they have an excellent selection of donuts, muffins, and other assorted pastries.
NOW we're speaking the same language! :D
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

DinkyInky wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:...Tim Horton's...
I used to cross the borders on a weekend trip(mostly to paint the amazing scenic places), and I found that place...interesting. It was nothing to write home about at the time. I suspect that it's gotten better with age, as so many talk about it these days.
I can't tell about the coffee, as mentioned earlier, but I'd have to say that Tim Horton's is simply a good restaurant, with a decent selection and decent prices. Their sandwiches are good, and I look at them as healthier than what you'll find at McD's, BK, et al.

Of course, the healthy factor is countered by the equally large selection of assorted donuts and pastries... :P

But for a decent meal, go there and get a soup and sandwich combo. And there's so many of them around, it's easy enough to find them.
MerchManDan wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I guess I must not be average, Canuck though I be... I don't drink coffee... :P
D'oh! Sorry lake_wrangler, I keep forgetting I'm not the only Canadian here - and any sweeping generalization I make will probably be countered by facts. ;)
Don't feel bad... I pride myself on being anything but average... 8-)
MerchManDan wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:However, I absolutely concur on the near ubiquitous status of Tim Horton's. They make decent sandwiches and soup, too. And they have an excellent selection of donuts, muffins, and other assorted pastries.
NOW we're speaking the same language! :D
I just have to be careful not to speak that language too often... I've lost 164lbs since 2010, and I don't want to gain it back... :mrgreen: