Better Things 2017-05-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Better Things 2017-05-08

Post by lake_wrangler »

Late news is... not so good news?

Apparently, Devyn didn't know every corner of the school as well as she thought...

Kinda like... "I know this place like the back of my h... hey, what's that?" as one stares at a recent scar on the back of one's hand...
Last edited by lake_wrangler on Sun May 07, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Better Things 2017-05-08

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

...and once again, Atsali's big mouth is a plot driver.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:...and once again, Atsali's big mouth is a plot driver.
You think she has a big mouth? It thought it fit her quite nicely, myself... proportionate and everything... :mrgreen:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Devyn?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do I get the impression that maybe they didn't know about it because it wasn't there . . . maybe finished over spring break?

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:Why do I get the impression that maybe they didn't know about it because it wasn't there . . . maybe finished over spring break?
Did you ever know any significant school construction project, anywhere, which could be finished in so short a time? Paranormal school or no, union construction workers or independents, I have trouble considering that to be plausible.

Occam's Razor suggests a simple dimensional warp, probably to R'lyeh.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:Why do I get the impression that maybe they didn't know about it because it wasn't there . . . maybe finished over spring break?
Did you ever know any significant school construction project, anywhere, which could be finished in so short a time? Paranormal school or no, union construction workers or independents, I have trouble considering that to be plausible.

Construction sites are also usually quite visible, tending to not pass unnoticed...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave wrote:

Construction sites are also usually quite visible, tending to not pass unnoticed...
Note that I specified finished . . .

Might have done a re-roof last summer, and were not able to complete the paving and amenities at that time, and thus had to wait until spring break, when the temperatures were higher and the students weren't present.

Could also have been a spell laid to prevent the students from noticing until the project was complete . . . it would be kind of hard to keep paranormals out of an area if they decided they wanted in.

Hmmm . . . wonder if this is a side effect of Ms. Alger's spell? If her spell caused a don't-notice spell to unravel . . . were the students ever supposed to notice?

--FreeFlier
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

And one must also ask if Digit really counts as a student thus could be considered part of the adult conspiracy.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Interesting . . . I hadn't considered the implications of Digit apparently being the only one that noticed . . . that could say something about how the spell works.

Hmmm . . .

Of course in that case you would expect Castela to notice too, and apparently she didn't.

That does free up the episode I was working on for Winter Vignettes . . . I wanted two people that can slip the effect, and while Castela was a logical one, one of the elves would have been my next choice . . . but that didn't work out.

Hmmm, back to work . . .

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

So, just how much mischief can a covey of paras generate, encounter, or get into on a roof in the last weeks of school?

The Pablo Knows! (tm)
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

oldmanmickey wrote:And one must also ask if Digit really counts as a student thus could be considered part of the adult conspiracy.
Well, remember, Paul has said that, overall, she's equivalent to a twenty-year-old; she's just attending high school to learn how to fit into aociety.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Hmmm... I wonder, could the existence of an area of the school nobody could remember seeing before be somehow linked to the use of magic to repair a wall-crater? After all, there was probably lots of magic flowing around the structure to begin with, and using magic to repair said wall-crater could have unforeseen consequences.

Wasn't it implied that using magic to repair the wall was something that wasn't supposed to be done?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Alkarii wrote:Hmmm... I wonder, could the existence of an area of the school nobody could remember seeing before be somehow linked to the use of magic to repair a wall-crater? After all, there was probably lots of magic flowing around the structure to begin with, and using magic to repair said wall-crater could have unforeseen consequences. . . .
Point.
Alkarii wrote: . . . Wasn't it implied that using magic to repair the wall was something that wasn't supposed to be done?
Ms Alger's thought was "Nobody's looking", which implies she was about to do something she at least shouldn't be seen doing.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Hmmm... I wonder, could the existence of an area of the school nobody could remember seeing before be somehow linked to the use of magic to repair a wall-crater? After all, there was probably lots of magic flowing around the structure to begin with, and using magic to repair said wall-crater could have unforeseen consequences.
Well, that has certainly been the case in the past. The last time someone made a crater disappear mysteriously, it caused all sorts of ruckus, trials and tribulations. I'm not sure even MIB could have kept it quiet.

It had all the elements of a mystery novel: dancing partners, a diamond, a journey to Belgrade that never happened, a formerly-great Hall fallen into darkness and corruption, a murdered witness, and a dead man whose ghost haunted the public for decades.

Just the sort of thing the new club would want to investigate!
illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave wrote:Well, that has certainly been the case in the past. The last time someone made a crater disappear mysteriously, it caused all sorts of ruckus, trials and tribulations. I'm not sure even MIB could have kept it quiet.

It had all the elements of a mystery novel: dancing partners, a diamond, a journey to Belgrade that never happened, a formerly-great Hall fallen into darkness and corruption, a murdered witness, and a dead man whose ghost haunted the public for decades.

well, that 'crater' was only around 6 feet by 2... :P :D
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:
Dave wrote:Well, that has certainly been the case in the past. The last time someone made a crater disappear mysteriously, it caused all sorts of ruckus, trials and tribulations. I'm not sure even MIB could have kept it quiet.

well, that 'crater' was only around 6 feet by 2... :P :D
In other words, that 'crater' was a little narrower but a little taller than the wall crater, so it probably works out to about the same... ;)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

The rooftop's not likely to have been totally forgotten by everybody, since it would need to have maintenance people up there every now and then. Perhaps it's someplace that the janitors and repairmen set up secretly for their own personal amusement.
lake_wrangler wrote:Apparently, Devyn didn't know every corner of the school as well as she thought...
Well, she knows the corners. The roof's not a corner, though.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote:The rooftop's not likely to have been totally forgotten by everybody, since it would need to have maintenance people up there every now and then. Perhaps it's someplace that the janitors and repairmen set up secretly for their own personal amusement.
lake_wrangler wrote:Apparently, Devyn didn't know every corner of the school as well as she thought...
Well, she knows the corners. The roof's not a corner, though.
It does have corners, though...