Too Much Pizza 2016-10-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Alkarii

Re: Too Much Pizza 2016-10-20

Post by Alkarii »

FreeFlier wrote:
Warrl wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:I dunno . . . two people eating a 36 inch pizza with the works might qualify . . .
At their age, yeah, it might qualify...

......as an after-school snack.
Don't forget that a large is usually about eighteen inches . . . a thirty-six inch pizza will have four times as much pizza!

As a teen I could just about eat a large by myself, if I was hungry . . . two would have been "no way" even if it was free!

The guy I knew that did it hadn't eaten in 24 hours, had been working hard . . . and the last couple of pieces were still a struggle.

--FreeFlier
What's funny about that is the mathematical formula you would use to determine how much more pizza you're getting...
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

FreeFlier wrote:I dunno . . . two people eating a 36 inch pizza with the works might qualify . . .
Warrl wrote:At their age, yeah, it might qualify...

......as an after-school snack.
FreeFlier wrote:Don't forget that a large is usually about eighteen inches . . . a thirty-six inch pizza will have four times as much pizza!

As a teen I could just about eat a large by myself, if I was hungry . . . two would have been "no way" even if it was free!

The guy I knew that did it hadn't eaten in 24 hours, had been working hard . . . and the last couple of pieces were still a struggle.
Alkarii wrote:What's funny about that is the mathematical formula you would use to determine how much more pizza you're getting...
Two squared? What's funny about that?

;) :lol:

(The constant drops out on both sides.)

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I can deal with an 18" large pizza usually - a twenty or twenty-four would be a bit much.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

FreeFlier's formula is also key to winning a bar bet... cut a pizza into four equal pieces with one continuous cut.
Start at the exact center of the pie and cut a round piece that touches one edge of the whole pie. When you get back to the center, execute a similar cut directly opposite your first cut.
The area of a 12" pie (π*r^2 where r=6) is 113.096 square inches.
The area of each of the circular pieces (π*r^2 where r=6/2 or 3) is 28.274 square inches.
Both circular pieces add to 56.548 square inches.
As the remaining pieces are mirror images of one another and contain a total area of 56.548 square inches, ergo, each remaining half also contains 28.274 square inches.

The formula scales, no matter what size pizza is used.

Of course, proving said bar bet to someone who boasts he didn't have to use algebra today is quite a problem.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AmriloJim wrote:FreeFlier's formula is also key to winning a bar bet... cut a pizza into four equal pieces with one continuous cut.
Start at the exact center of the pie and cut a round piece that touches one edge of the whole pie. When you get back to the center, execute a similar cut directly opposite your first cut.
The area of each of the circular pieces (π*r^2 where r=6/2 or 3) is 28.274 square inches.
As the remaining pieces are mirror images of one another and contain a total area of 56.548 square inches, ergo, each remaining half also contains 28.274 square inches.

Of course, proving said bar bet to someone who boasts he didn't have to use algebra today is quite a problem.
That's planar trigonometry, not algebra.

/pedant mode off/
;)

And a neat trick.

--FreeFlier
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Still, he who boasts of not needing algebra won't understand trigonowhatsis, either.

Algebra being well above said person's LCD.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

FreeFlier wrote:Two squared? What's funny about that?

;) :lol:

(The constant drops out on both sides.)

--FreeFlier
Really? I'd have just used pi times radius squared on both, then used subtraction to find the difference.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
illiad

Post by illiad »

AmriloJim wrote:FreeFlier's formula is also key to winning a bar bet... cut a pizza into four equal pieces with one continuous cut.

yeah, that may be fancy, but pedants will be the only ones to stay around to eat strangely shaped pizza, that has gone cold due to the time taken!!! :roll:

'one continuous cut' ... I will bet a professional pizza place will have a properly sized cutter, to cut it into triangles with one slice... :ugeek: :D
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

'always expect pizza-pie cutting Ninjas...'
Dave

Post by Dave »

You call that pedantic? :roll: Now this is pedantic:

The real challenge is to cut the pizza into two, three, or five equal portions... fractally. Start with a Koch curve and go from there.

Or, for extra credit, cut it into Penrose tiles. This doesn't necessarily guarantee equal portions, but somebody gets a lot of star-shaped pepperoni.

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

No reason to get all Fractal, we can keep it Escher-ific...

http://www.math.cornell.edu/~mec/Winter ... es/076.jpg
illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave you are missing the point... Now if you did that with Sheldon about, he would say "But! you missed a bit, and what about sharing equally????"
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I can deal with an 18" large pizza usually - a twenty or twenty-four would be a bit much.
I can eat an 18" if I'm really tired and hungry, but nearly always regret it. My brother used to claim he had never seen this spurious "leftover pizza" that people talk about, but that was before the heart attack.

Think the most pizza I ever ate at once was two 14". I was 18 or 19 at the time and might have been living in a frat lodge. :roll:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Typeminer wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:I can deal with an 18" large pizza usually - a twenty or twenty-four would be a bit much.
I can eat an 18" if I'm really tired and hungry, but nearly always regret it. My brother used to claim he had never seen this spurious "leftover pizza" that people talk about, but that was before the heart attack.

Think the most pizza I ever ate at once was two 14". I was 18 or 19 at the time and might have been living in a frat lodge. :roll:
College boys can do a lot of things because they're too stupid or drunk to know it's impossible.

The two guys that ate the 36" pizza (with the works) were college boys on summer break painting houses.

Since they did it, the pizza was free . . . and they jaywalked across the street for ice cream cones! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I can still wolf down an 18" "the Kitchen Sink" (as in "everything BUT) pizza, but every time I do my cardiologist has an angina attack...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:I can still wolf down an 18" "the Kitchen Sink" (as in "everything BUT) pizza, but every time I do my cardiologist has an angina attack...
Sympathetic magic, working in reverse?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:I can still wolf down an 18" "the Kitchen Sink" (as in "everything BUT) pizza, but every time I do my cardiologist has an angina attack...
Sympathetic magic, working in reverse?
No... just his standard reaction when I tell him about it...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Reminds me of when my doctor told me I needed to cut out eggs . . . I said I wasn't going to do that.

Then I told him how many eggs I'd eaten in the last year . . . 18. (Though I was wrong, twelve of them were deviled eggs, so it was really only 12.)

--FreeFlier