The Reason I Called You 2016-08-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

The Reason I Called You 2016-08-25

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk

Re: The Reason I Called You 2016-08-25

Post by jwhouk »

No. No she is not amused.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Note: the rock in her right hand is still there, but the boulder in contact with the left hand is not.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I think maybe they need to call in Aunt Phix and Aunt Monica . . .

I also suspect Pickle may be regretting showing Aunt Bud . . .

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Hmm... she can do salvage cutting with her fingertips? Castela, have you ever heard of "Iron Bottom Sound?"....
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Did Castela make the Jonny Hart "Zot!"
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Yea shes getting tired of the dog and pony show fast. Though i do note she has yet to be even straining. We were impressed with destroying every thing in a 10 block radius, i do believe this trumps that by a large margin.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Keep in mind, (since you guys already mentioned the stuff I was going to mention...) Castela has had time to deal with the initial "Oh My God!'" aspect of this, and given the time jump, has been dealing with this for many years, ALONE.

Now, only now, is anybody else even aware of theses levels of force, power, and to mis-quote Uncle Ben; 'Great Responsibility...'

I'd hope her advisers get up to speed quickly, but they just found out about this 'stuff' and will need a min...
FirehawkShadowchild

Post by FirehawkShadowchild »

One should also note, that Bud doesn't seem too happy with the whole thing.

Shelly is all "That's cool and shit" but Bud seems to be a lot more reserved and I also think she hat another reaction in mind when she called Shelly.
Last edited by FirehawkShadowchild on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tombone

Post by tombone »

I'm starting to wonder where Castela now fits on the cast's power level chart - it has to be on par with Acacia and Brandi at the very least. I'm pretty certain that she shares their ability to destroy a good chunk of the solar system like they have been mentioned to be capable of doing. About the only one above them at this point would be Monica, simply because of her unique set of abilities.
illiad

Post by illiad »

oldmanmickey wrote:Yea shes getting tired of the dog and pony show fast. Though i do note she has yet to be even straining. We were impressed with destroying every thing in a 10 block radius, i do believe this trumps that by a large margin.
and she is wondering when they are going to the shoe shop!!!! :x
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Ummm, is Bud referring to herself in third person Panel Two?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

TazManiac wrote:Keep in mind, (since you guys already mentioned the stuff I was going to mention...) Castela has had time to deal with the initial "Oh My God!'" aspect of this, and given the time jump, has been dealing with this for many years, ALONE.

Now, only now, is anybody else even aware of theses levels of force, power, and to mis-quote Uncle Ben; 'Great Responsibility...'

I'd hope her advisers get up to speed quickly, but they just found out about this 'stuff' and will need a min...
As i recall she showed it to Mom when it first happened...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Tarrow

Post by Tarrow »

tombone wrote:I'm starting to wonder where Castela now fits on the cast's power level chart - it has to be on par with Acacia and Brandi at the very least. I'm pretty certain that she shares their ability to destroy a good chunk of the solar system like they have been mentioned to be capable of doing. About the only one above them at this point would be Monica, simply because of her unique set of abilities.
Bud is still to my recollection the character that's demonstrated the greatest power output, by a huge margin.

Her throwing of the calendar machine into the sun at 2/3rds C would've taken in the region of 20 Petajoules of energy (5 megatonne TNT equivalent) per kilo mass. Vapourising a 5 tonne block of sandstone, which'd take more energy than just blowing it to pieces, is down at 80 Gigajoules (20 tonne TNT equivalent). That puts Bud in the lead by a factor of two hundred and fifty thousand, at the low end. Given that the calendar machine likely massed more than one kilo that margin is likely far far larger.

Bud's shock is still understandable though. She's just found out that Castela is more than capable of throwing around enough power to cause some major damage if she loses her temper. She knows that Castela has some aggression issues to work out. She knows that Castela was designed as a weapon. And Bud knows exactly how that all feels. Katherine picked the perfect person to help Castela work through it all.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

I don't suppose anyone has a matter to energy conversion equation handy?
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Ummm, is Bud referring to herself in third person Panel Two?
It would seem from Bud's line in the last panel that Shelly already knew about this.

(Don't worry, I thought the same thing at first, too.)
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Gyrrakavian wrote:I don't suppose anyone has a matter to energy conversion equation handy?
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Ummm, is Bud referring to herself in third person Panel Two?
It would seem from Bud's line in the last panel that Shelly already knew about this.

(Don't worry, I thought the same thing at first, too.)
I have an anti-matter workbook in calc around, is that what you had in mind?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Tarrow wrote:Bud's shock is still understandable though. She's just found out that Castela is more than capable of throwing around enough power to cause some major damage if she loses her temper. She knows that Castela has some aggression issues to work out. She knows that Castela was designed as a weapon. And Bud knows exactly how that all feels. Katherine picked the perfect person to help Castela work through it all.
Good reasoning!

Also: Bud understands the guilt of power and rage; she still holds herself responsible for the deaths and damage done by the Chimera. At some point, Castela will probably learn that the Fae she killed when she was younger wasn't an enemy trying to hurt her, but an ally who had been sent to protect her... and so she's likely to have to deal with a power-and-rage guilt of her own. Bud may be able to help her through that.

So, Bud really is a good choice to help Pickle temper temper.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:I don't suppose anyone has a matter to energy conversion equation handy?
According to a couple of web pages that have done the calculation, one gram of mass converted entirely to energy releases the equivalent of 21.5 kilotons of TNT. Think "Hiroshima-class explosion".

None of the ZOT rock disintegrations have done anything nearly of that order (unless the energy was somehow channeled away into hyperspace). Even beaming the energy away like a laser would have resulted in a truly violent "side flash" from the air turning to plasma... much more than has been depicted, I think.

So, whatever trick Pickle is using, I don't think it's one of total conversion.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Yes, but I read this as a kind of personal request on Bud's part. On the order of "Will you pretty please do that again for us?"