On That Note 2016-08-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ChattaStarhawk

On That Note 2016-08-24

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

And Bud is left speechless...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/on-that-note/
Dave

Re: On That Note 2016-08-24

Post by Dave »

We haven't seen her brain-lock like that, since the day she learned that Phix is Shelly's grandmother.

"Of all the things I had anticipated... that wasn't one of them."
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

Time till reboot 40 seconds...
Vive la weird!
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Well, we should have known that THAT was one of her kinks.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

She might be flashblinded
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

The program Bud.exe is not responding...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

I think she took it rather well.

Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

I guess that answers the question 'teleportation or disintegration'.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Uhhhhhh... yeah... what Bud said...

Weaponized Blackthorne indeed...

EDIT: Holy hell... Look at the Skull in the smoke in the panel after the ZOT. :shock:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Her mom can now write the book: "How to raise a teenage nuclear warhead."
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Now I'm wondering. Suppose Castela continues getting stronger as she gets older. Are we looking at a superweapon that could eventually surpass the Chimera in destructive power?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I love Castela's "You're not listening to me" frustrated look on the middle three panels... :lol:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:We haven't seen her brain-lock like that, since the day she learned that Phix is Shelly's grandmother.

"Of all the things I had anticipated... that wasn't one of them."
I don't think this one is that strong . . . her eye area isn't displaying TILT this time.

--FreeFlier
eee

Post by eee »

And she broke the Bud!
Aleister Crow wrote:Now I'm wondering. Suppose Castela continues getting stronger as she gets older. Are we looking at a superweapon that could eventually surpass the Chimera in destructive power?
She may surpass them now. They don't have that 'disintegration touch' ability, and we don't know how far she can extend it.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Code: Select all

The application Bud has stopped responding. Do you want to close it?

REPORT - WAIT - OK
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Aleister Crow wrote:Now I'm wondering. Suppose Castela continues getting stronger as she gets older. Are we looking at a superweapon that could eventually surpass the Chimera in destructive power?
I'm reminded of Moore's Law, which suggests computer power doubles every 18 months. That boils down to about a factor of 10 every 5 years. So, if this would apply to her:
  • Born - She can move 1 kilogram.

Age 5 - 10 kg. Helps mom with potato and flour sacks.

10 - 100 kg. Helps move furniture by lifting it.

15 - 1000 kg (1 long ton). Assists Aunt Shelly in the auto shop. Picks up cars and moves them like a wheelbarrow.

20 - 10,000 kg/10 tons. Shipyard apprentice. Assists moving major assemblies, ship engines, and entire propellers.

25 - 100 tons. She's a crane.

30 - 1000 tons. She's a tugboat.

35 - 10,000 tons. She's a ship crane.

40 - 100,000 tons. Where did you want me to put the aircraft carrier? Next to the submarine? OK - got it!
And then it really gets interesting!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Sideromelane

Post by Sideromelane »

Did she dump enough energy in to make sandstone laze? Because there might be some questions about a beam of radiation knocking out satellites from the ground if she did.

How much energy would that even take?!
We might die and be destroyed. But we do not surrender, and we never -- Ever -- Quit.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

JSStryker wrote:Time till reboot 40 seconds...
So both Bud and Castela need to be rebooted, just in different meanings of the word.
eee wrote:
She may surpass them now. They don't have that 'disintegration touch' ability, and we don't know how far she can extend it.
Castela might also be one of the few (if not the only) individuals who can physically damage Bud.

So it might be a good idea to check on her emotional composure before shaking hands with her or giving her a high-five.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sideromelane wrote:Did she dump enough energy in to make sandstone laze? Because there might be some questions about a beam of radiation knocking out satellites from the ground if she did.

Not sure that's even possible, under the circumstances. Creating a laser, in a relatively small space, requires some form of reflective cavity within which the energetically-excited gas (liquid, crystal, or plasma) is confined. Without a parallel pair of mirrors, there will be no opportunity for the photon packet to bounce back and forth, building up strength each time and then "leaking" out through one mirror in the form of a (near-)parallel beam. Even tiny semiconductor lasers (e.g. CD and DVD-player laser diodes) have two polished parallel surfaces to create the necessary back-and-forth.

You can generate some amount of coherent energy in an open "cloud" of plasma (e.g. a natural maser) but it won't beam - it will tend to radiate outwards in all directions and will be subject to the inverse-square law.

So, a sensitive satellite might have detected a flash from Castela's vaporization of the rock (assuming that the "mini World Grid" containment field didn't block the light pulse), but I doubt very much as if there would have been enough energy hitting the satellite to even "blind" a highly-sensitive sensor for a moment, let alone knocking out the whole satellite.

Now, if she were to pick up a laser tube (with mirrors, intended to be pulsed via a flashtube) and then ZOT its innards like she did the rock... it might be able to emit quite an impressive laser pulse. Dunno if the laser would survive for more than one use, though. If she blew apart a chunk of sandstone so easily, a fused-quartz tube and/or ruby crystal might not hold together for more than a millisecond.
Tarrow

Post by Tarrow »

Sideromelane wrote:Did she dump enough energy in to make sandstone laze? Because there might be some questions about a beam of radiation knocking out satellites from the ground if she did.

Not sure about the energy requirement to make quartz lase, but....
Quartz / silicon dioxide boils at 2230c, and it takes about 730 joules of energy to raise the temperature of a 1kg mass of silicon oxides by one degree celcius. So raising the temperature of a kilo of sandstone from ambient-ish up to boiling point (i.e. vapourising it) would take in the region of 1.6 megajoules of energy.

"Weaponised" almost fails to cover the abilities of someone that can conceivably throw 1" steel ball bearings with significantly more kinetic energy than the 30mm rounds out of an A-10 main gun. Though still not quite enough power to throw golfballs into orbit ;)