Have Your Back 2016-06-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Have Your Back 2016-06-29

Post by AmriloJim »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/have-your-back/

New character: Scarlet.

Paul did confirm a bit of a time skip on FB... Castela is now a fifth-grader and Atsali is in her senior year.
Opus the Poet

Re: Have Your Back 2016-06-29

Post by Opus the Poet »

That would be an interesting time skip, At the mall Atali was in her freshman year and Pickle was in K making a 6 year time skip for Pickle and a 4 year one for Atsali. Or a 5 year for Castela and 3 for Birdbrain. Still more grades/years for The Wise Shrub than the siren/cubi. And dang if Pickle still ain't wise beyond her years.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Vitrbjorn

Post by Vitrbjorn »

How many years have actually passed? Castella looks to be about 12-13 now.
That which does not kill you but makes you stronger only shows you to a different level of predator.
Be careful lest the gods devour you in your new strength.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Opus, I was thinking the same, but I suspect para education may be a bit less rigid than mundane systems. Perhaps Pickle 'challenged' 1st grade at the Christmas break, advancing into 2nd for the second semester. Doing the same the next year would put her in 5th term 'this fall'.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

So are we moving on from Atsali and them as the main main cast members and going to Castela and this group. Because I would be very much in favor of that.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

I wonder if those magazines and ad agencies are ran by parasites that feed on negative emotions.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Opus the Poet wrote:That would be an interesting time skip, At the mall Atali was in her freshman year and Pickle was in K making a 6 year time skip for Pickle and a 4 year one for Atsali. Or a 5 year for Castela and 3 for Birdbrain. Still more grades/years for The Wise Shrub than the siren/cubi. And dang if Pickle still ain't wise beyond her years.
Good point.

Perhaps it's Atsali's senior year of college and and Pickle had to go to that intermediate class some schools have between kindergarten and first grade? Though Castella being in T1 would be a bit weird since it's meant for kids that aren't quite mature enough for 1st grade -- whether due to developmental issues or simply being born in the latter half of the year.

Though Atsali would have had to take a bunch of summer courses... Hmmmm......

*shrugs*

That's all I got.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Nobody's gonna comment on Tim pointing directly at the Scarlet's breasts and blushing?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:Nobody's gonna comment on Tim pointing directly at the Scarlet's breasts and blushing?
He's an adolescent boy talking to three pretty girls . . . he's going to be blushing no matter where he's pointing.

--FreeFlier
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

FRIENDS!!! :D
eee

Post by eee »

I don't like time skips. I understand it gives authors the ability to go on to new situations without having to go through the tedium of setting things up, but it's not very fair to readers. It's like

"Frodo and company leave the Shire"

time skip

"Frodo and company are back in the Shire, but things have changed and you'll find out what happened in dibs and bits via flashback as the months go by"

We don't know who's still alive, who died (if anyone did), which couples have broken up and why (are Atsali and Nad' still together? What about Bud and Kevin? Monica and Jet? Simon and Garfunkel?), and if any new disasters have happened that change everything. Time skips can kill readers' interest because you either throw too much change at people at once, or you don't throw enough, in which case the question becomes, why did the author do that at all?

It's also a bit irritating on background because, in essence, you're moving into the future while still being rooted in the present on social and cultural matters. It's like moving ahead to 2500 AD and showing characters still reacting to the Brexit as if it were a new thing.
Gyrrakavian wrote:I wonder if those magazines and ad agencies are ran by parasites that feed on negative emotions.
Dementors. :shock:
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Don't forget Funk & Wagnall... and is the mayonnaise jar still on the porch?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AmriloJim wrote:Don't forget Funk & Wagnall... and is the mayonnaise jar still on the porch?
No . . . the fox is wearing the jar.

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

AmriloJim wrote:Don't forget Funk & Wagnall... and is the mayonnaise jar still on the porch?
Okay that just gives me flashbacks... when I was in the army there was a girl in another squad that everyone called the mayonnaise jar... the connotation should suffice here I think... We were on deployment... one she'd done everything to get out of. Once on deployment she knew the only way out was to get pregnant... the number of guys she went through was insane.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

They used a new one for each episode, so probably not.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Any guesses as to what race of Paras the new character Scarlet belongs?

Western Irish ginger elf? Kitsune?
eee wrote:I don't like time skips. ... We don't know who's still alive, who died (if anyone did), which couples have broken up and why (are Atsali and Nad' still together? What about Bud and Kevin? Monica and Jet? Simon and Garfunkel?), ...
Or whether Dietzel has been forced to live out the last few years as a keychain fob.

The time skip does explain Kath's increasing amount of grey hair. Even Atsali and Castela couldn't have induced that much greying in Momma Bear overnight. I think.
Opus the Poet wrote:
They used a new one for each episode, so probably not.
Rumor is that it was actually the same jar each time. They just had it thoroughly cleaned, and any damage healed up by skilled physicians.

I'm sure you know where this was done.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

DilyV wrote:
Okay that just gives me flashbacks... when I was in the army there was a girl in another squad that everyone called the mayonnaise jar... the connotation should suffice here I think... We were on deployment... one she'd done everything to get out of. Once on deployment she knew the only way out was to get pregnant... the number of guys she went through was insane.
Humm the ones i knew in the AF looked at unaccompanied remotes very differently. When they came back stateside they often bought new corvettes, paid cash to.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

At one point, pregnancy was the Number One reason for medevac back to the Land of the Big PX from Iraq,...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:At one point, pregnancy was the Number One reason for medevac back to the Land of the Big PX from Iraq,...
well its not like there is a lot to do over in the desert that doesnt involve dodging presents for the bad guys.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:Any guesses as to what race of Paras the new character Scarlet belongs?
I also wonder if she is of any relation to Timothy. Big sis, perhaps? Or cousin?