Piffle!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Piffle!

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

It appears that i may need a new motherboard.

A while back the on-board sound stopped working. I bought an inexpensive USB external sound stick.

A while later, i began finding it apparently in hibernation in the mornings - but i wouldn't wake up.

Then it began intermittently blanking out as i was using it - not often, but annoying enough to be annoying. I thought it was zine form of system crash - the power was still on, but i couldn't get any response.

Except then it did it while i was watching some bit of video - and the sound kept on plating.

It has a separate video card, so first i made sure the drivers were good, and when that didn't cure, i replaced the card.

No help.

And it began doing it more and more often - by then i was simply powering down using the "Power" key on the keyboard and powering back up to get back in business.

Last night it did it four times in a bit over an hour.

This morning it seemed to be working better - but i went out for an hour and a half shopping and getting lunch ... and when i got back it's dead ... and it refuses to power up.

I'd been beginning to suspect it might be the motherboard - looks as if it is.

Of course, the weather is probably going to pin me down this weekend ... and j wouldn't have the money to buy one until Wednesday, anyway.

And once i replace it, i'll have to do a song and dance with Microsoft to get my Windows re-authenticated.

Rowrbazzle!

{Typing this on my tablet}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Re: Piffle!

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:It appears that i may need a new motherboard.
Bummer! Sorry to hear that.

As usual, it's when something breaks down that you realize just how much you depend on it...
AnotherFairportfan wrote:And once i replace it, i'll have to do a song and dance with Microsoft to get my Windows re-authenticated.

Rowrbazzle!

Hey, what better time to switch to Liunx... ;)
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:

As usual, it's when something breaks down that you realize just how much you depend on it...
AnotherFairportfan wrote:And once i replace it, i'll have to do a song and dance with Microsoft to get my Windows re-authenticated.

Rowrbazzle!

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an acceptable Linux equivalent for the DTP package - Serif PagePlus - that i use a lot, and it doesn't run under WINE.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

What LW said, plus- between now and your budget coming through, try something;

With power unplugged, all synthetic materials not worn, and the lid off- touch the case to equalize your voltage potential and then unplug and replug the power supply cable(s) to the MB and devices, and reseat the RAM in different places... (like rotating the stock on the shelves). /note in advance that RAM is often paired for performance so it might be enough to A+B and C+D each group.

(I'm typing this while leaning up against the local community hall awaiting a documentary film showing, so plz bear with my format and syntax.)

I wouldn't go so far as to reseat the CPU, but depending on your particulars...

Rport back w/ progress.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:

Rowrbazzle!

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an acceptable Linux equivalent for the DTP package - Serif PagePlus - that i use a lot, and it doesn't run under WINE.
Scribus is a good alternative for desktop publishing, and has roughly the same UI as PagePlus. Does the same sorts of things (SVG, PDF). You can use Inkscape (SVG program, analogous to Adobe Illustrator without the $10k license) to import .WMF files so you don't lose any data. Failing that, you can use OpenOffice or LibreOffice, who have perfect support for .WMF files.

And while we're discussing licensing fees and ridiculous prices you aren't having to pay, you don't need to pay for the OS (I'd suggest Mint over Ubuntu for the first-time linux user. More user friendly, much more intuitive for someone moving from Windows OS, and since it's effectively the same base operating system, you still get SteamOS compatibility natively, and all the other advantages Ubuntu offers), you don't need to shell out hundreds for Office, you don't have to shell out for an IDE either. Instead of PSP, you have GIMP. Instead of Illustrator, you have Inkscape.

There are some professional suites you don't have to pay thousands in licensing fees to get. For everyone else, there's Windows.

Motherboard replacement also means processor replacement and probably RAM replacement. At this point, you're effectively replacing 90% of your hardware. Your Windows license is NOT going to be happy with that, and will probably de-reg you even if you DO have the codes simply because it will assume you are a pirate trying to put it on a different computer since the specs don't match what they 'should' be, no matter how 'authentic' you try to be. So since you're effectively getting a whole new computer anyway, might as well go ahead and upgrade to a free OS that isn't going to pull this on you every time you want to upgrade.

Oh, and icing on the cake, you can mount your windows-based hard drive in Linux and pull all the necessary files before reformatting it.

Yanno... just sayin'. It's an option. :ugeek:
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Rowrbazzle!
We have met the enemy...
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I use an Acer Aspire One in the cab to run my OpenOffice tripsheet spreadsheet, Firefox and Thunderbird. Shortly after migrating to WinX, it took a dive, the screen became a technicolor yawn and the keyboard now has fewer letters than it should. I had another Aspire One on the shelf, moved the HD to that chassis, and went about my business.

The new machine now displays a watermark in the lower right corner of the screen: "Activate Windows", but I've suffered no loss of functionality. If I get further nag screens, I may try jumping through their hoops, but for now....
ShneekeyTheLost

AmriloJim wrote:I use an Acer Aspire One in the cab to run my OpenOffice tripsheet spreadsheet, Firefox and Thunderbird. Shortly after migrating to WinX, it took a dive, the screen became a technicolor yawn and the keyboard now has fewer letters than it should. I had another Aspire One on the shelf, moved the HD to that chassis, and went about my business.

The new machine now displays a watermark in the lower right corner of the screen: "Activate Windows", but I've suffered no loss of functionality. If I get further nag screens, I may try jumping through their hoops, but for now....
All three programs are linux native, in fact I have all three open at the moment. Not many hoops to jump if you ever want to take the plunge.
AnotherFairportfan

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Hey, what better time to switch to Liunx... ;)

Scribus is a good alternative for desktop publishing, and has roughly the same UI as PagePlus. Does the same sorts of things (SVG, PDF). You can use Inkscape (SVG program, analogous to Adobe Illustrator without the $10k license) to import .WMF files so you don't lose any data. Failing that, you can use OpenOffice or LibreOffice, who have perfect support for .WMF files.
Tried Scribus. It's not that similar, and the differences are all in directions i don't like, which make it annoying to use.

I've tried Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint and a few other distros. Meh.
Motherboard replacement also means processor replacement and probably RAM replacement. At this point, you're effectively replacing 90% of your hardware. Your Windows license is NOT going to be happy with that, and will probably de-reg you even if you DO have the codes simply because it will assume you are a pirate trying to put it on a different computer since the specs don't match what they 'should' be, no matter how 'authentic' you try to be. So since you're effectively getting a whole new computer anyway, might as well go ahead and upgrade to a free OS that isn't going to pull this on you every time you want to upgrade.
No - if i buy an AM3+ board, it means motherboard replacement. When i had a real job, i was a hardware tech.

And i've been through this before, with mobo replacements, from failures and simply upgrading; the worst that happened was that i had to spend time on the phone with MS.

If MS decides to be cranky, maybe then i'll consider Linux.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:If MS decides to be cranky, maybe then i'll consider Linux.
Here's to MS crankiness! :P :lol:
ShneekeyTheLost

AnotherFairportfan wrote:No - if i buy an AM3+ board, it means motherboard replacement. When i had a real job, i was a hardware tech.

And i've been through this before, with mobo replacements, from failures and simply upgrading; the worst that happened was that i had to spend time on the phone with MS.
Ahh, good. So long as you didn't use any thermal paste you have to scrape up, you should be good to go, then. Unlike 99% of everyone else.
If MS decides to be cranky, maybe then i'll consider Linux.
So, we'll see you next week, then? :lol:

Seriously, MS has the absolute, bottom of the barrel, WORST case of 'Smell Tech Support' that I've ever encountered. Assuming you can understand the script-jockey, the answers are designed to be non-useful to someone with more smarts than a bowl of oatmeal, and deviation from script is unacceptable.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Comcast.

MS ain't got nothing on Comcast.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:Comcast.

If you use your own router instead of theirs, Comcast sticks ads for their router into your browser.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:Comcast.

If you use your own router instead of theirs, Comcast sticks ads for their router into your browser.
And that's legal? :shock:

If some of the ads out there weren't already bad enough to do so, that would be enough to drive one towards ad blockers!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

My internet experience has improved dramatically with the use of AdBlock Plus on my desktop and WeBlock on iOS. Thank goodness for them.
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I've been warm and cozy w/ Ubuntu (Linux) since ver 9.x but was frustrated with the major front-end change. I bailed over to the Ubuntu Studio derivative because it's front end is based on XFCE, and I've been goofing around with other flavours as well- Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and most recently MATE' ver 15.10 (note; Year and Month of twice a year release).

It's been my experience that folks who "Just want to get things done..." find every nit-picky thing they can find to drag their feet towards migrating to a non-Windows based OS.

"I am used to Windows XP!" OK, so here is a front end juuuuuust like XP then.
"But it's not the Latest Microsoft Product!" yeah, that would be Win8 (now 10) with the Metro tiles front end. Hows that working out fer ya?
"But all my friends are using MS Office and..." OK, stop right there, I'm tired...

OK, I have an all-in-one Intel based iMac to revive now. Guess what OS I'm burning to DVD...

PS- I am still a supporter of MS products, in that I still support folks who are using it.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

What if I just happen to like Windows?
I'm too much!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

The three main reasons I haven't already switched to Linux, in no particular order:

1) In my attempts to switch, I have yet to succeed in getting my computer to be a wifi hotspot that my tablet can see. Note though: I'm trying to get it to be a DEDICATED hotspot, not emulate two devices one of which is a client on some other network - and Windows won't do this either; it may be something the hardware/UEFI simply won't allow.

2) I'm an experienced VB programmer and have a substantial stack of VBA macros divided among several add-ins and templates in both Word and Excel. At this point I am not convinced that OpenOffice or any of its derivatives are similarly programmable.

3) I'm lazy.
ShneekeyTheLost

GlytchMeister wrote:What if I just happen to like Windows?
Then we will all pray for you and hope that the nice pleasant men with the white coats will be able to help you help yourself. :mrgreen:

Warrl wrote:The three main reasons I haven't already switched to Linux, in no particular order:

1) In my attempts to switch, I have yet to succeed in getting my computer to be a wifi hotspot that my tablet can see. Note though: I'm trying to get it to be a DEDICATED hotspot, not emulate two devices one of which is a client on some other network - and Windows won't do this either; it may be something the hardware/UEFI simply won't allow.
Why are you trying to get your computer to be a dedicated WiFi? Why not just use your router?
2) I'm an experienced VB programmer and have a substantial stack of VBA macros divided among several add-ins and templates in both Word and Excel. At this point I am not convinced that OpenOffice or any of its derivatives are similarly programmable.
Latest version of LibreOffice Calc is similarly programmable. In fact, you can even import your VBA directly without a problem.
3) I'm lazy.
Behold, the power of the default option.

In all seriousness, run what you like. I happen to prefer Linux for a lot of different reasons, but it's not for everyone. Unlike MS, I'm not going to try and tell you how to set up your OS.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:What if I just happen to like Windows?
Then we will all pray for you and hope that the nice pleasant men with the white coats will be able to help you help yourself. :mrgreen:
They haven't been able to help me so far! Sometimes they take a look at my test results, then they look at me in abject terror, and then they leave.

In a hurry.

:P :twisted:
I'm too much!