A Stable Relationship

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Re: A Stable Relationship

Post by GlytchMeister »

I believe Al called this sort of thing "Rubber Duck Diagnostics" when I was trying to fix a problem in my writing.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Sgt. Howard wrote: . . . "Young fellow," Neil chuckled, "it would seem you have solved your own dilemma without thinking about it,"
Indeed . . .

But that's frequently how these consultations work: let the consulting person talk their way through it until they see their own answer.

Some of those artifacts . . . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

FreeFlier wrote:Some of those artifacts . . . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

--FreeFlier
I think there is some strong potential for a side story in Judas' coins and the attractive power they seem to have.

Isn't Neil's role in the crucifixion of Christ para-public knowledge? One wonders why Rowdy didn't connect the dots...
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:Some of those artifacts . . . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I think there is some strong potential for a side story in Judas' coins and the attractive power they seem to have.

Isn't Neil's role in the crucifixion of Christ para-public knowledge? One wonders why Rowdy didn't connect the dots...
I didn't think it was . . . just among a select group.

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think it's along a very select group. And Rowdy isn't anywhere near that group.

Let's just say this: that one time I came in to Neil's "office" while he was describing Gettysburg to the girls? I recognized both right away.

Of course, I already knew who Cornelius was at that point.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

The nails were easy to obtain- they usually get recycled, but pulling one set from the pile seldom gets noticed. Neil simply slipped them into his satchel after they took the body down. The cup he purchased from John, author of Revelations. The robe he won in a dice roll, just as did the soldier who originally won it.

Those coins were a tricky issue- the man who sold Judas the land went mad in three days. His wife took the money and bought a male harem- only to come down with a horrible disease that slowly took her mind and body. She died destitute, forsaken and homeless. The slave trader she purchased her harem from was killed in an uprising- four slaves split the chest and each one sowed a trail of misery with those coins. Neil was twenty three years chasing down every last coin. They cannot be touched- they tend to... manipulate... those who get too close. The double glass helps, but some are susceptible- Rowdy was lured, but Rowdy is a Centaur- he recognized an unnatural desire and rejected it flat out.

Horse Sense.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

FreeFlier wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:

I didn't think it was . . . just among a select group.

--FreeFlier
Kids in school talk about it, and it was in the papers. Rowdy doesn't follow the news much, and he is a while out of school- he never caught up to it
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

The three candidates most historians believe to be the coins in question- which of the three (or what combination- they were all available and about the same value) is unknown;
Attachments
SNGCop_039.jpg
SNGCop_039.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 11906 times
C+B-Stater-StaterOfAntioch.png
C+B-Stater-StaterOfAntioch.png (40.12 KiB) Viewed 11906 times
C+B-Shekel-FigC-TyrianHalfShekel.png
C+B-Shekel-FigC-TyrianHalfShekel.png (32.34 KiB) Viewed 11908 times
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"...Okay, I can get the issues over the 30 pieces of silver, but the robe?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I thought it was a robe that your... Um, my Latin terms are rusty: platoon?... Just threw on Him, like it was a spare prisoner's garb?"

Neil chuckled at me.

"Re-read the instructions about the Passover meal, kid. He was wearing His 'Sunday Best' - as they say - when they arrested Him..."

"Ohhhhh...."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Hey Sarge, have you read Lloyd Douglas' book "The Robe"? If not, I recommend it. There aren't many books I remember from reading maybe 40-45 years ago... that's one of them.
Last edited by Warrl on Sat May 21, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:
"Well, I thought it was a robe that your... Um, my Latin terms are rusty: platoon?...
Contubernium- squad- eight soldiers with a commander. That a Centurion commanded the squad is documented.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Warrl wrote:Hey Sarge, have you read Lloyd Douglas' book "The Robe"? If not, I recommend it. There aren't many books I remember from reading maybe 40-45 years ago... that's one of them.
Yes- fascinating reading
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

"I solved it? How?"

"What were you doing there? Talking about the two young ladies."

"I was... pointing out differences. Emphasizing them. And if I start seeing Patricia, I can point out those differences to remind myself that Pauline is not Patricia. Yes, I believe that's the solution."

"That, and time. What happened to you isn't something that can just be turned off in a moment."

"Also likely true. This will help a lot. Thank you."

A squeal from the next room informed the two that Aeternia was awake. Neil rose from his chair. "Well, time to resume my fatherly duties. Unless you'd like to take a shift?"

Rowdy chuckled. "No thank you. I am definitely not ready for that yet."

"You won't be, Rowdy, until your first child is at least two years old. Then maybe you'll be ready for a newborn."

"So when will I be ready for a two-year-old?" as he moved toward the door.

"Good question. You WILL survive the experience, and so will the child. Now off with you. Come back when you need some more leading questions."

A quick handclasp, and Rowdy was off. Not, of course, without running into Phix again, this time in the form of a stereotypical librarian.

"Did you find the wisdom you sought?"

"Yes, Neil was very helpful, and I found it. Which answers your riddle, I think."

"It does. Good luck. See you again soon, perhaps."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

I spent years studying psychology to learn how to do that...the rubber duck method works every time.

So does the "You're being an idiot - just do X..." where X is something idiotic and completely out of bounds. The individual will invariably say "No, that's dumb. Ya gotta do..." and answer their own question.

Humans....can't live with 'em - can't keep 'em as pets.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Just Old Al wrote:Humans....can't live with 'em - can't keep 'em as pets.

Actually, you can- but it gets rather weird after a while...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Sgt. Howard wrote:

Well, as long as you have an established safe word and established lines of communication, it's perfectly safe and responsible.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:

Well, as long as you have an established safe word and established lines of communication, it's perfectly safe and responsible.
Now Puddin', we discussed this. No breakin' the 'nillas, or I get ta break in my new hammer, remember?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Who said we're vanilla? :twisted:
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote: Now Puddin', we discussed this. No breakin' the 'nillas, or I get ta break in my new hammer, remember?
I do believe we've been insulted.... Frozen herring at 20 paces...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Just Old Al wrote:
DinkyInky wrote: Now Puddin', we discussed this. No breakin' the 'nillas, or I get ta break in my new hammer, remember?
I do believe we've been insulted.... Frozen herring at 20 paces...
One of the few times I'll admit it- I AM A NATIVE BORN CALIFORNIAN!!! If you have had ANY form of sex in that state, you are NOT vanilla!!!
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.