Never Left Their Sides 2012-09-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sideromelane

Re: Never Left Their Sides 2012-09-06

Post by Sideromelane »

I just got a terrible fright. Went from browsing Wapsi, checking the forums etc, popped onto BBC news and THIS!

Of course it turned out to be something boring, but still!

Seems oddly appropriate somehow.
We might die and be destroyed. But we do not surrender, and we never -- Ever -- Quit.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Jabberwonky wrote:Then...then why did it let Phix blast Bia out the wall and Nudge bust up the stained glass window?

:?
Because the Library is self-healing. Breaking walls and windows might be (uncomfortable, painful??) to the Library, but they're not permanent damage. We saw the Library healing itself up when Euryale was talking to Phix and M after Phix punched Bia through the wall.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:Okay, now let's see if Phix is mad enough to follow Nudge outside where she doesn't have to power of the Library to back her up. Or if the library will even let Phix leave to continue chasing Nudge.
Bia being knocked out of it would mean the library is more powerful than even Titans. Heck, the blast from the Chimera didn't even knock her off her feet. Not even the second wave. That, in turn, would mean it is run by beings much more powerful than Titans. It could be at the level of the original gods or even something beyond them. Hmmm ... OMG it's Oprah!
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Redheadedcyclone

Post by Redheadedcyclone »

The Old Wolf wrote:Nudge may be a lady, but she's got cojones of solid rock.
Honey... ALL women have... ahem... large attachments, they are so big they have to be strapped to our chest...
The Universe is not Vindictive.

I subscribe to the A.A. Milne School of Capitalization. If it is an Important Idea, then it should be Capitalized.
Redheadedcyclone

Post by Redheadedcyclone »

Was I the only one who immediately saw the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz?

The first panel clearly shows an 'end of the world jump into nothingness' look... That window doesn't have an 'underneath' any time soon. Nudge specifically says "We are running out of Hallway and it looks like you have a job to do." to Phix... Did I miss a job? What job? or rather, which one?

Where was Nudge nudging Phix to? This has to be a plan and I can not imagine that Nudge would EVER do something like this without an exit strategy. She's lived too long to be that stupid.

If Phix HAD to fly, would she be able to after just eating her own weight (presumably)? Where the hell is Nudge going to land if there is no 'underneath' to land on...

It is in Nudge's nature to push people, for better or worse... and, I can imagine that she is a little more than pissed at Phix so Nudge is taking great pleasure in saying what she probably has wanted to say all along but couldn't until the right context...

I still think it looked like the Cowardly Lion (who really was brave but had an unrealistic view of what bravery was)... So, is Nudge being 'Brave' or just Cowardly?
The Universe is not Vindictive.

I subscribe to the A.A. Milne School of Capitalization. If it is an Important Idea, then it should be Capitalized.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Redheadedcyclone wrote:Was I the only one who immediately saw the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz?

The first panel clearly shows an 'end of the world jump into nothingness' look... That window doesn't have an 'underneath' any time soon. Nudge specifically says "We are running out of Hallway and it looks like you have a job to do." to Phix... Did I miss a job? What job? or rather, which one?
Based on Nudge's heckling, I suspect that by "a job to do" she means "completing the job of alienating yourself from Shelly, Monica, and everybody else around here, so you can stop pretending that you actually care, and go back to being the totally uncaring elitist chess-piece-pusher that you really are. You've done well so far, manipulating Shelly and harassing Tina and scaring the fewmets out of Monica. Just keep working in the same way and pretty soon you'll have no relationships left, which is clearly what you want, you 'strong' soul-less mechanical monster."
Where was Nudge nudging Phix to? This has to be a plan and I can not imagine that Nudge would EVER do something like this without an exit strategy. She's lived too long to be that stupid.

If Phix HAD to fly, would she be able to after just eating her own weight (presumably)?
There's always regurgitation :twisted:
Where the hell is Nudge going to land if there is no 'underneath' to land on...
All I can figure is, either Nudge has more "red rubber ball" in her ancestry than we've seen up until now, or she's been texting Mary Poppins who has agreed to make a guest appearance and bring her umbrella, or the whole thing is a setup and Shelly is waiting to catch her.
It is in Nudge's nature to push people, for better or worse... and, I can imagine that she is a little more than pissed at Phix so Nudge is taking great pleasure in saying what she probably has wanted to say all along but couldn't until the right context...

I still think it looked like the Cowardly Lion (who really was brave but had an unrealistic view of what bravery was)... So, is Nudge being 'Brave' or just Cowardly?
I'll vote for "Tricky clever, with a side order of Brave". She must have something up her sleeve, and a plan other than "Fall 100 feet onto sharp rocks outside the Library and then wait for an enraged sphinx to swallow what's left of me". Shelly is the most likely candidate for the "boojum in the wood".
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:
Redheadedcyclone wrote:If Phix HAD to fly, would she be able to after just eating her own weight (presumably)?
Can you imagine the size of that hairball?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Re: Hairball:

Something in the proportion of this, i would expect...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/pretty-amazing/
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

With a bit of Trickster Luck, Nudge will land in the tree below. Of course, it'll probably hold for a couple comedy beats before tumbling into the gorge beneath.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

[quote="Bathorys Daughter
Well, in my case, any such saving grace fades quickly as my voice also approaches cartoon chipmunk range. All people think is "kawaii!" and giggle. Especially if try to make myself look all stern and menacing. Then it just becomes "Super Kawaii!!" Kind of takes the wind out of a girl's sails. And heaven help me if I sit and pout. "Mega Super Kawaii!!!" Trust me no one takes me seriously. But then most don't know about my fascination with women gladiators and amazon warrior women. That's a secret, so don't tell anyone. :oops:[/quote]

May I offer some advice my grandmother followed: knees put where they don't belong, and hatpins. Not the little modern clip-ons, I mean the four to six inch sharpened steel spikes with a decorative knob on the end to hold on to.

Means you have to wear a hat, or an updo......

Unless you do KNOW warrior woman techniques, or martial arts. Or offhand pistol shooting (still much easier to carry than a policeman).
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Dave wrote:
Redheadedcyclone wrote: If Phix HAD to fly, would she be able to after just eating her own weight (presumably)?
EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Bathorys Daughter

NOTDilbert wrote:May I offer some advice my grandmother followed: knees put where they don't belong, and hatpins. Not the little modern clip-ons, I mean the four to six inch sharpened steel spikes with a decorative knob on the end to hold on to.

Unless you do KNOW warrior woman techniques, or martial arts. Or offhand pistol shooting (still much easier to carry than a policeman).
Oh no. Not me. I'm about as defenseless as they come. Guns scare me to death. Maybe I could use a hat pin if I had to. Even the knee thing. But I'm pretty much a devout coward. I find it best just to take precautions instead. My only interest in warrior women is in stories and drawings and some TV, not in actually learning how to fight. Like the stuff Julian Apostata does or some episodes of Xena. Even some of the Seeker. I like the girl-girl combat (no, not the type that ends up in a mud pit and passionate embraces). I think I wish I could be like that. Of course, I'd end up being the useless spear carrier guard who gets picked off in the first 2 seconds. *sigh*
Last edited by Bathorys Daughter on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:May I offer some advice my grandmother followed: knees put where they don't belong, and hatpins. Not the little modern clip-ons, I mean the four to six inch sharpened steel spikes with a decorative knob on the end to hold on to.

Oh no. Not me. I'm about as defenseless as they come. Guns scare me to death. Maybe I could use a hat pin if I had to. Even the knee thing. But I'm pretty much a devout coward. I find it best just to take precautions instead. My only interest in warrior women is in stories and drawings and some TV, not in actually learning how to fight. Like the stuff Juliana Postata does or some episodes of Xena. Even some of the Seeker. I like the girl-girl combat (no, not the type that ends up in a mud pit and passionate embraces). I think I wish I could be like that. Of course, I'd end up being the useless spear carrier guard who gets picked off in the first 2 seconds. *sigh*
Be careful wearing red shirts...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Bathorys Daughter

Jabberwonky wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:Oh no. Not me. I'm about as defenseless as they come. Guns scare me to death. Maybe I could use a hat pin if I had to. Even the knee thing. But I'm pretty much a devout coward. I find it best just to take precautions instead. My only interest in warrior women is in stories and drawings and some TV, not in actually learning how to fight. Like the stuff Juliana Postata does or some episodes of Xena. Even some of the Seeker. I like the girl-girl combat (no, not the type that ends up in a mud pit and passionate embraces). I think I wish I could be like that. Of course, I'd end up being the useless spear carrier guard who gets picked off in the first 2 seconds. *sigh*
Be careful wearing red shirts...
Yeah. That would be me too. Only for mine they would pin a target on it and convince me it was some kind of an insignia of merit ... ssssssshhhhhh!! "She's dead Jim" "Oh really Bones? What was your first clue? The fact she isn't moving or that her entire upper body is now a fine gray ash? Nevermind, pick up her *chuckle* insignia of merit. We can use it for that idiot Ensign Crusher."
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Well, in my case, any such saving grace fades quickly as my voice also approaches cartoon chipmunk range. All people think is "kawaii!" and giggle. Especially if try to make myself look all stern and menacing. Then it just becomes "Super Kawaii!!" Kind of takes the wind out of a girl's sails. And heaven help me if I sit and pout. "Mega Super Kawaii!!!" Trust me no one takes me seriously. But then most don't know about my fascination with women gladiators and amazon warrior women. That's a secret, so don't tell anyone. :oops:
I feel your pain. I'm not nearly as tiny as you are, but I've always been accused of looking like a kitten trying to be a tiger when I'm angry...but then those people haven't seen me in a true rage. I'm apparently somewhat scary just because I don't look like the kind of person who would have a temper that involves throwing things, punching walls, and screaming.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Stigmartyr762 wrote:Okay, now let's see if Phix is mad enough to follow Nudge outside where she doesn't have to power of the Library to back her up. Or if the library will even let Phix leave to continue chasing Nudge.
Bia being knocked out of it would mean the library is more powerful than even Titans. Heck, the blast from the Chimera didn't even knock her off her feet. Not even the second wave. That, in turn, would mean it is run by beings much more powerful than Titans. It could be at the level of the original gods or even something beyond them. Hmmm ... OMG it's Oprah!
That is a good observation Bathorys Daughter! My guess is The Library is run by Athene/Minerva daughter of Zeus/Jupiter. She is the goddess of wisdom and an appropriate one to run a library. (and she had a sphinx on her helm) ;)
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:Well, in my case, any such saving grace fades quickly as my voice also approaches cartoon chipmunk range. All people think is "kawaii!" and giggle. Especially if try to make myself look all stern and menacing. Then it just becomes "Super Kawaii!!" Kind of takes the wind out of a girl's sails. And heaven help me if I sit and pout. "Mega Super Kawaii!!!" Trust me no one takes me seriously. But then most don't know about my fascination with women gladiators and amazon warrior women. That's a secret, so don't tell anyone. :oops:
I feel your pain. I'm not nearly as tiny as you are, but I've always been accused of looking like a kitten trying to be a tiger when I'm angry...but then those people haven't seen me in a true rage. I'm apparently somewhat scary just because I don't look like the kind of person who would have a temper that involves throwing things, punching walls, and screaming.
Just the opposite, 6'2", 220 lbs. Slow to anger and quick to dissipate it. (Too quick sometimes) One of my duties, when I managed a large Flea Market in San Antonio, was to stand next to the business owner when a customer had complaints. My just being there would often turn shouts into a nice civilized discussion...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wdot wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:Bia being knocked out of it would mean the library is more powerful than even Titans. Heck, the blast from the Chimera didn't even knock her off her feet. Not even the second wave. That, in turn, would mean it is run by beings much more powerful than Titans. It could be at the level of the original gods or even something beyond them. Hmmm ... OMG it's Oprah!
That is a good observation Bathorys Daughter! My guess is The Library is run by Athene/Minerva daughter of Zeus/Jupiter. She is the goddess of wisdom and an appropriate one to run a library. (and she had a sphinx on her helm) ;)
I think you've both got the right basic idea, but have suggested the wrong gods. There's another possibility, which explains all sorts of things we've wondered about.
  1. The Library is run by Hades and Persephone, the king and queen of the Underworld.
  2. The Library isn't really a place... it isn't physical. It isn't even an alternate dimension. It's a zone of virtual reality... a complex simulation.
  3. You don't actually visit it... you're temporarily "transcribed" or "encoded" into it, and your virtual form in the Library has to operate by its rules.
  4. The rules under which the Library system operates, were set up to amuse Hades and Persephone... the Gods are rather bored, and so they set up a chess-game-like system, and watch mortals move across the game board like chesspieces.
It explains so much! How the Library can have portals wherever it wants (they don't need to be physical). How it can possibly have copies of every book ever written (they aren't physical copies, just data bits). How the Librarian can be invulnerable and can clobber even a Titan (the system is programmed that way) and yet bloody, awful death is possible and perhaps even common in the Library (Gods of the Underworld must have sacrifices!)

This would make the Library a fascinating balance point between good and evil. On the one hand, it'd be a virtual prison for those the Underworld chose to trap, and these people would be mere playthings of the gods and goddesses of the afterlife. On the other hand, the Library's massive information-storage system has preserved much which would otherwise have been lost.

I could sum up the situation as "Chthon - The Legacy", but then someone would tell me to go to Hades and stuff me into the pun jar as an overdue chthonic sacrifice.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Another random though--in skimming to catch up after three days gone, I may well have missed someone making the point, but earlier there was some question of how Nudge could get through doors with her rack (of horns, you pervs!) being so wide. This page answers that: in the fourth panel it looks like she's turning her head, probably to the right, judging by the top curve of the horns, so they fit through a narrow space. I imagine that, after a time, such behavior is so habitual that she doesn't even have to think much about it.

At first I did think she morphed to make them narrower, but then I noticed the difference between the two horns, and realized it was more likely just a twist of the neck. In this case it would work better too--the idea of a horn top breaking the window and allowing the rest to shatter that much more easily would be more pleasant than doing it with the broad side of the body. Or face.
Bathorys Daughter

bmonk wrote:Another random though--in skimming to catch up after three days gone, I may well have missed someone making the point, but earlier there was some question of how Nudge could get through doors with her rack (of horns, you pervs!) being so wide. This page answers that: in the fourth panel it looks like she's turning her head, probably to the right, judging by the top curve of the horns, so they fit through a narrow space. I imagine that, after a time, such behavior is so habitual that she doesn't even have to think much about it.

At first I did think she morphed to make them narrower, but then I noticed the difference between the two horns, and realized it was more likely just a twist of the neck. In this case it would work better too--the idea of a horn top breaking the window and allowing the rest to shatter that much more easily would be more pleasant than doing it with the broad side of the body. Or face.
It would make a cute running gag if Paul showed her knocking things over, breaking windows, etc. when she turned her head, totally oblivious to what's happening. The library constantly cleaning up behind her. Fortunately she's 9 feet tall, so most people would not have to duck all the time. Unless she is bending down towards their level at the time.