It's 2016 Tomorrow

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

It's 2016 Tomorrow

Post by Hansontoons »

Got some woodworking started this afternoon (I like the smell of walnut when cut), daughter and I are relaxing at home with football on the TV, dog passed out on couch, cold margarita at my elbow, all is well.

Wishing all a good evening and many positive waves for a happy/blessed/creative/satisfying new year in 2016!

Jon "Hansontoons" Hanson
TazManiac

Re: It's 2016 Tomorrow

Post by TazManiac »

Took back a lampshade that wouldn't have fit the light base (Wait, I could have worn that tonight!), rode two hundred miles to replace a timing belt tensioner pulley, and am currently enjoying a warm coffee outside Bucks 'o Stars as I wifi this update prior to hunkering down to avoid the gunfire that is inevitable @ Midnight ...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

All I've been doing is playing Minecraft. I sent a text to my boss, asking when I work next, and still haven't gotten a response.

I don't think the new year is gonna be much of an improvement over the old one.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

yep, reading the comics and the forums for this, and other comics i follow. gonna watch some youtubers play Minecraft, Fallout 4 and/or Space Engineer's... then i'll probably fall asleep before midnight and sleep late on friday, then on Saturday go in for some more OT at work for a few minutes of disconnecting shore power from a ship that's getting under weigh at 0800... then go home by 10-ish, maybe i'll see star wars friday, maybe sat... dunno, i may even just be a zombie at home till monday and see it later on...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Margarita gone, it was the last of the last. Could have a beer but think I am done for the night. Dog still out, unfazed by random explosions happening outside.
FullSizeRender 4.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpg (236.83 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
Alkarii, I sure hope things turn around for you. Sucks to have an inconsiderate "superior" like you have.

Everyone else, be safe and be well.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Just about anyone to whom I've had to answer in my life (aside from family) has given me the impression that I really shouldn't rely on them or expect anything aside from the barest minimum from them.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Spent most of the day slow-roasting a couple of ducks... stopped after the first was done, to share it (and a nice salad and some pan-fried potato slices) with my wife and a friend. Ran some initial tests on a batch of commercial UHF radios I picked up inexpensively at surplus and can re-purpose for amateur-radio use. The weather here was lovely - clear, calm, sunny, up to the mid-'50s.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Eight gin high aviations between ten and midnight...whee!

I figured out my goofup. Older bartending guide from Italy suggests floating the Creme de Violette, as it sinks, causing the fluttery blue effect, and to use strained lemon juice to prevent cloudiness.

Delicious!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:Ran some initial tests on a batch of commercial UHF radios I picked up inexpensively at surplus and can re-purpose for amateur-radio use.
These are broadcast/receivers, I assume?
Miss Dinky wrote:Older bartending guide from Italy suggests floating the Creme de Violette, as it sinks, causing the fluttery blue effect
I'd like to just watch that...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:Ran some initial tests on a batch of commercial UHF radios I picked up inexpensively at surplus and can re-purpose for amateur-radio use.
These are broadcast/receivers, I assume?
Yes... Kenwood TK-840 25-watt FM transceivers. The ones I bought were made for the commercial and police/fire bands between 450 and 480 MHz. A lot of these have showed up on the surplus market in recent years; new standards for business and government radio licensing have made them obsolete in their original areas of use. With a bit of reprogramming they'll transmit and receive in the ham band from 440 to 450 MHz, at slightly reduced power.

The ones I got are a bit dirty and beat-up, and some of the keypads are intermittent, but this is all something that a quick cleaning and refurbishment can take care of.

I'm part of a group which operates a multi-band ham repeater system at a local hospital. Currently we don't have a backup for our 440 MHz repeater... if we have to take it off the air for maintenance we lose that band. We can use a couple of these Kenwood radios to build a backup repeater which would fit right into our existing rack space, and the price is right... I got them for $12 each "as is".

We also plan to build a portable repeater... two radios, a simple controller, and a duplexer all mounted in a suitcase... something we could take out to a drill or the site of an emergency. Once again, the price is right!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Dave wrote:Once again, the price is right!
Dave, come on down! (sorry, couldn't resist)

I've thought about doing the ham radio thing for a while, but I don't really have the means right now to do so.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Happy New Year everyone!! :) So far so good for me!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Well, so far this year I haven't been hit by large meteorites, infected with guinea worms, accidentally ingested a critical mass of plutonium, or gotten pregnant, so I guess that things are looking positive!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote:Well, so far this year I haven't been hit by large meteorites, infected with guinea worms, accidentally ingested a critical mass of plutonium, or gotten pregnant, so I guess that things are looking positive!
I kinda thought you were a dude. Either way, that last item can be troublesome, but a male getting pregnant would be especially bothersome, I imagine.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Catawampus wrote:Well, so far this year I haven't been hit by large meteorites, infected with guinea worms, accidentally ingested a critical mass of plutonium, or gotten pregnant, so I guess that things are looking positive!
I kinda thought you were a dude. Either way, that last item can be troublesome, but a male getting pregnant would be especially bothersome, I imagine.
Double so if you went to the immense trouble of identifying yourself as such(I have read about such issues before).

Supermarket funny papers would always be up for an exclusive, only to twist everything you say....nevermind. These days, it's exactly like the regular news.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:I kinda thought you were a dude.
Last time I looked at my chromosomes, there was indeed a nice Y one sitting there along with its single X companion. I don't think that too much has changed since then.

Unless you're meaning the term in the older sense, in which case no, I'm not generally all that fashionable in my attire. I do apparently have a tendency to look "sophisticated" (or maybe sfizticated?) according to many of the people around here, though I suspect that that might just be a matter of my exceeding some exceptionally low standards. . .