A Non-Spoiler review on how the new Star Wars feels....

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Catawampus

Re: A Non-Spoiler review on how the new Star Wars feels....

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:Whirley pukey. Saw it in XD, got my son the BB-8 goggles...took me hours for my brain to register reality properly again. The only one more painful was Avatar...
Is it the things in motion on the screen that cause that, or is it just the perceived depth of field in general?

For that matter, is there a noticeable difference between the way the "depth" looks in the movie and the way depth looks in real life?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I think it's more to do with proprioception. The camera is moving about, looking this way and that, and yet the brain doesn't detect the body it's attached to moving. And then there's the weirdness in that the motion seen doesn't take up the entire field of view - it's like a window. A big window, but a window nonetheless. The theater isn't moving, but everything "outside the window" is whirling about every which way.

It's the cause of motion sickness, but reversed. In air/sea/car sickness, the brain detects movement via g force and proprioception, but the movement it is feeling doesn't match with the stability of the vehicle relative to the body. That's why it helps to focus on distant objects when carsick - it helps the brain make sense of what is happening.

When the brain detects a discrepancy between senses, the usual cause of this before vehicles were invented (and thus the cause that the brain has evolved to handle) is chemical interference. Hallucinogenics and toxins and poisons. The best way for the human body to get rid of such chemicals is, unfortunately, to hurl. And that's why we barf in cars, boats, or airplanes.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Catawampus wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Whirley pukey. Saw it in XD, got my son the BB-8 goggles...took me hours for my brain to register reality properly again. The only one more painful was Avatar...
Is it the things in motion on the screen that cause that, or is it just the perceived depth of field in general?

For that matter, is there a noticeable difference between the way the "depth" looks in the movie and the way depth looks in real life?
Unsure. My eyes would track to the edge of the screen and Cue brain freak out.

But watching a ship slowly creep in front of me was fine, ditto high speed motion, so I am not inclined to believe it is a depth perception malfunction.

The crap thing is I used to make 3d art, and short 3d animation clips. I am sitting literally on thousands of dollars of software that I am afraid to use...quite a lot of it the same software the bigs used in that movie.

Opposite for me, Glytch. Looking out the window and seeing the world go by doesn't make me car sick, close or distant. If my eyes track to the edge of the window, it's the same nauseating sensation. It is like reality is not matching my senses. I can feel the relative speed of the vehicles engine pulsing under me, I can see it outside, but if I see the edge of the window, it is like the world just fell out from under me...but as a passenger onl. Driving, adrenaline response is completely different.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

That's actually exactly what I meant. Your senses aren't matching with reality. The brain is a funny thing. It knows you're going fast. It can feel it. It can see it outside... But the moment you look at the edge of the window, all of a sudden it gets confused and thinks you aren't moving. But you are. Que the WTF that leads to your monkey brain mashing the barf button.

I know how it goes. I used to get dreadfully carsick after five minutes of easy riding... I had to learn all the tricks of the trade: open a window for fresh air,deep, slow, controlled breathing, sip on Sprite or ginger ale, never enter a car without a sizeable bucket, never enter a car without having first taken some form of Dramamine, and finally, watch radio or cell towers. Illinois has them all over the place, and they make excellent recalibration anchors for proprioception.

I'm better now, but I'm still rather sensitive to motion sickness... I have trouble in the backseats of cars, and may the universe have mercy on your interior if you put me in the way back (third row) in a van or something.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:That's actually exactly what I meant. Your senses aren't matching with reality. The brain is a funny thing. It knows you're going fast. It can feel it. It can see it outside... But the moment you look at the edge of the window, all of a sudden it gets confused and thinks you aren't moving. But you are. Que the WTF that leads to your monkey brain mashing the barf button.

I know how it goes. I used to get dreadfully carsick after five minutes of easy riding... I had to learn all the tricks of the trade: open a window for fresh air,deep, slow, controlled breathing, sip on Sprite or ginger ale, never enter a car without a sizeable bucket, never enter a car without having first taken some form of Dramamine, and finally, watch radio or cell towers. Illinois has them all over the place, and they make excellent recalibration anchors for proprioception.

I'm better now, but I'm still rather sensitive to motion sickness... I have trouble in the backseats of cars, and may the universe have mercy on your interior if you put me in the way back (third row) in a van or something.
I found eating Altoids are good for passenger riding nausea. I also meditate, and try to relax on long trips if possible, versus doing the touristy look out the window thing. Ditto on Indiana with the towers...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Oh, I forgot about mint! My favorite anti-nausea mints are certs... They're rediculous lay hard to find, though. There's only one gas station around here that sells the bloody things, but they work wonders on topsy-turvy tummies.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Oh, I forgot about mint! My favorite anti-nausea mints are certs... They're rediculous lay hard to find, though. There's only one gas station around here that sells the bloody things, but they work wonders on topsy-turvy tummies.
online, there are several places to bulk order...Amazon has cheapest so far...a 24pk box is about a little over a dollar a roll after shipping costs.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

It seems so weird ordering candy via Internet. I keep thinking the Internet is where one might make bigger purchases, like refrigerators, or maybe game consoles. But certs? :roll:
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:It seems so weird ordering candy via Internet. I keep thinking the Internet is where one might make bigger purchases, like refrigerators, or maybe game consoles. But certs? :roll:
I am the opposite. Bigger purchases in a brick and mortar, smaller bulk purchases, like my perfumer's glassware, tea, even certain hard to find candies like beemans clove gum, I order online.

--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...So what does this have to do with Kylo Ren?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:...So what does this have to do with Kylo Ren?
Her middle name is Naomi?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

My son got the same experience I did as a child seeing the first one in theatres, only in full immersion.

Despite my body violently revolting the 3d, if my son wanted to go back, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I had no motion sickness on this one. But the only film I've gotten that way with was The Blair Witch Project. I had to walk out of the theater three times...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:

My son got the same experience I did as a child seeing the first one in theatres, only in full immersion.

Despite my body violently revolting the 3d, if my son wanted to go back, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I had no motion sickness on this one. But the only film I've gotten that way with was The Blair Witch Project. I had to walk out of the theater three times...
see it drunk. About the only way to deal with deliberately bad filmmaking.

Joking. Completely joking. Glytch, Shneekey, it was a joke.

*runs*

I would hide, but I am certain both boy scouts here have their tracking badges...

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I didn't get the badge, I learned tracking from a redneck marine. :twisted:

Although I don't know why I'd be tracking you down... I seem to have missed something.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

A redneck marine? How the hate is that even possible?

What? Ohhh, the non-Foxworthy redneck.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Yeah. Less "Yoo maght bae a rehdneck" more "mountain man."

I suppose I should have just said that, but he calls himself a redneck. I guess he's a hybrid.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Yeah. Less "Yoo maght bae a rehdneck" more "mountain man."

I suppose I should have just said that, but he calls himself a redneck. I guess he's a hybrid.

Note to self: Glytch posts are no longer safe to read while drinking tea.

--Safyr Drathmir
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

DinkyInky wrote:

Welcome to our exclusive organization "Punning on the Thames", Glytch. Where the Pun is mightier than the Word, and things go from bad to verse.

I think Dinky's problem is the discontinuity between the movement on the screen and the lack of movement of the theater box around it.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:

You're only just now figuring this out? ;) Yer gonna get a sinus infection at this rate.
ShneekeyTheLost wrote: Welcome to our exclusive organization "Punning on the Thames", Glytch. Where the Pun is mightier than the Word, and things go from bad to verse.
Oh, my. What have I gotten myself into...
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

Welcome to our exclusive organization "Punning on the Thames", Glytch. Where the Pun is mightier than the Word, and things go from bad to verse.
Damnit Shneekey! Hey monk, you get exactly four paces head start, go!

--Safyr Drathmir