WTF ARE WE DOING???

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: WTF ARE WE DOING???

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:OK- Al cannot do the vocals- I need somebody who can do a competent limey... in the absence thereof, I need someone who can do ME, as I can do a competent Limey.
Atomic and/or Wrangler, I suspect one of you might be the candidate- I have just from hell which is why I have only been short posting. Either one of you, contact me about a decent time to Skype tomorrow, I seem to have the day free (wow).
If I tried to do a British accent, our radio drama would lose any credibility it would have otherwise garnered... :roll:

Incidentally, I am almost done with some recordings to let you hear what I can do. I will post in this thread when I'm done.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

In a world, where truth is stranger than fiction.
In a place, where legends come to life, and life is not as the legends implied.
In a city, where anything can happen, and it usually does, lives a woman, who just wants to live a normal life.
But no such luck, for Monica Villareal, AKA The Jaguar Girl...
Come with us, as we take a look into the life of a woman's rise from being a relatively unknown anthropologist, to one of the top paranormals around, kicking, screaming, and fighting against it the whole way.
It's a story about a time loop gone wrong, an Aztec god of alcohol, three powerful golem girls from a civilization long gone, a collective of demons serving coffee, a sphinx who didn't know she was a sphinx until she spent 80,000 years in a magical forest where time runs backwards, and a Library and its various patrons.
Welcome. To Wapsi Square.

Edited to change the link to AmariloJim's ftp site's file instead of my copy.com's.
Last edited by lake_wrangler on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And now, here are my "audition" files:

151015_LW_Narrator-Intro-Take-1-Headseat-Mic.flac
151015_LW_Narrator-Intro-Take-1-Normalized-Headseat-Mic.flac
151015_LW_Narrator-Intro-Take-2-Headseat-Mic.flac
151015_LW_Narrator-Intro-Take-2-Normalized-Headseat-Mic.flac
151015_LW_Narrator-Intro-Take-3-Normalized-Headseat-Mic.flac
151015_LW_Narrator-Intro-Take-4-Normalized-Webcam-Mic.flac
151015_LW_Narrator-Intro-Take-5-Normalized-Webcam-Mic.flac
151015_LW_Narrator-Intro-Take-6-Normalized-Webcam-Mic.flac
151015_LW_Warning-50p-Faster-Headseat-Mic.flac
151015_LW_Warning-50p-Faster-Normalized.flac
151016-LW_On-The-Beach-(09m43s).flac
151016_LW_Laughter-1-Webcam-mic.flac
151016_LW_Laughter-2-Webcam-mic.flac

Have your people call my people... We'll do lunch. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: I made these files with either a headset microphone, or a webcam microphone. I also tried a cheap standalone microphone, and it was pitiful. Even now, the quality of the headset mic and webcam mic recordings are not the best, especially when my voice trails off into the deep end. I definitely need to look at getting a better microphone before we do this for real.

Still, this should give you an idea of what I can do, with various tones of voice, and such, though my range is larger than what is being displayed here for your hearing (dis?)pleasure.

Edited to change the links to the files on AmariloJim's ftp site, rather than the ones I have on copy.com.
Last edited by lake_wrangler on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote: If I tried to do a British accent, our radio drama would lose any credibility it would have otherwise garnered... :roll:

Incidentally, I am almost done with some recordings to let you hear what I can do. I will post in this thread when I'm done.
Re: Not doing voice: Long story, folks, most of it involving neurology.

Re: Accent: You don't need a thick one for this (Al's not from Yorksire, thank God), as the phrasing will carry it. Anyone who wants to try I'd be more than happy to Skype with them and give them some demos of the scansion and patter - after that it becomes automatic. Slight turns of phrasing and such will make it believable.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

lake_wrangler wrote:And now, here are my "audition" files:
[i]AmriloJim[/i] wrote:15 files moved to WTF server
[nitpick]M's last name is "vee-uh-RAY-al".{/nitpick]
(Unless Paul specifies a non-ethnic pronunciation, similar to "am-uh-RILL-oh".)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AmriloJim wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:And now, here are my "audition" files:
[i]AmriloJim[/i] wrote:15 files moved to WTF server
[nitpick]M's last name is "vee-uh-RAY-al".{/nitpick]
(Unless Paul specifies a non-ethnic pronunciation, similar to "am-uh-RILL-oh".)
Oops...:oops: I should have thought of that, seeing as she was of hispanic persuasion... :roll:

Done.

Meanwhile, you haven't mentioned anything about the rest... does that mean you approve? (À la "no news is good news?")
Wait a minute: were you even part of the interviewing staff? ;)
(But seriously, what do you think of the rest?)

Edit: I just picked up on the link you provided in the quote... I guess you'll have re re-move that one file over to overwrite the old one... You know, I had thought about asking you for access to that ftp server, so I could upload the files there... but didn't want to wait for a response, before posting my "interview".

Should I edit each link individually, in my original "interview" post, or just point to the server in general, as you did?
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

LW, I just did some tweaking on the WTF index page... well organized and detailed directory with alphabetized links. Please refresh the page.

EDIT: Check your PM, FTP credentials are there. Linking to master page is up to you... I think it's easier than following each cloud link, read 'cannot play' message, click d/l link, save file locally, lather, rinse, repeat.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

lake_wrangler wrote:Meanwhile, you haven't mentioned anything about the rest... does that mean you approve? (À la "no news is good news?")
Wait a minute: were you even part of the interviewing staff? ;)
(But seriously, what do you think of the rest?)
Great voice, good diction and cadence. If you could move your accent closer to Norfolk NE (Johnny Carson's hometown), the narration would become much clearer. Your voice carries a discernible Creole/Bayou influence that would suit you better to character roles.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AmriloJim wrote:LW, I just did some tweaking on the WTF index page... well organized and detailed directory with alphabetized links. Please refresh the page.
I must have viewed it for the first time after you had done the alphabetizing, as I see no difference after a refresh... Either that, or I'm blind, and only operate my computer via sheer magic... :P
AmriloJim wrote:EDIT: Check your PM, FTP credentials are there.
Got that. Thanks.
AmriloJim wrote:Linking to master page is up to you... I think it's easier than following each cloud link, read 'cannot play' message, click d/l link, save file locally, lather, rinse, repeat.
Well, it does that when I follow a link to my copy.com files, but if I click on your files on the ftp, it wants to download right away, without trying to play them. Anyway, I'll take care of that later, as I have something I need to attend, for the next two hours.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

OK- so how do I acquire audacity?

...um... let me rephrase that... and yes, I know I have passed 'audacity' and moved into 'chutzpah', but how does this ignorant 19th century relic of a fellow stuff audacity audio capacity into a laptop?
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote:OK- how do I acquire audacity?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Download from there and install. Not at all difficult.

I might also note be careful where you download it from if you google audacity. There are folks out there who "repackage" things like Audacity and add spyware and adware that you then need to get rid of. That's why I pointed out the sorceforge one - they're reputable.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Just Old Al wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:OK- how do I acquire audacity?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Download from there and install. Not at all difficult.

I might also note be careful where you download it from if you google audacity. There are folks out there who "repackage" things like Audacity and add spyware and adware that you then need to get rid of. That's why I pointed out the sorceforge one - they're reputable.
NEW TOY!!! Gotta play! Thanks, Al!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Just Old Al wrote:That's why I pointed out the sourceforge one - they're reputable.
Agreed. I'd offer to put the latest version on my server, but that tends to get people in trouble. However, I can post a link....
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2322

Audacity Resource Thread, up and running.
(Be kind, it's still young...)

Feedback, questions, gripes should be sent to my forum inbox, I'll incorporate them into the FAQ...
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Still working on the file upload thingamabob... works fine as long as you're not sending me an audio file.
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

Just Old Al wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote: If I tried to do a British accent, our radio drama would lose any credibility it would have otherwise garnered... :roll:

Re: Not doing voice: Long story, folks, most of it involving neurology.

Re: Accent: You don't need a thick one for this (Al's not from Yorksire, thank God), as the phrasing will carry it. Anyone who wants to try I'd be more than happy to Skype with them and give them some demos of the scansion and patter - after that it becomes automatic. Slight turns of phrasing and such will make it believable.
Hear, hear!

A Brit who’s been in the US a while will, of necessity, have adopted some American pronunciations (to Brit ears anyway) to make themselves understood day to day, according to friends and relatives who have worked over there in Leftpondia, so you are probably best with a ’Murrican acting a Brit-like accent, emphasising on Brit phrasing.

Do watch out for those phrasing differences though, maybe check out some of the “two countries divided by one language” sites…
Last edited by louisxiv on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AmriloJim wrote:Still working on the file upload thingamabob... works fine as long as you're not sending me an audio file.
Might it help to 1st compact/containerize the audio file in a ZIP (or RAR, etc) wrapper?

It might help get it past the 'gatekeeper/bottleneck...
Dave

Post by Dave »

if you're uploading anything other than a text file using FTP, remember to use the "binary" or "image" command before transferring. Otherwise a carriage-return/newline edit will be applied to the file and it will be corrupted by the transfer.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

PS- & I forgot to ask; 'How large are these files...'

(Note- Good Stuff from Dave, as always.)

addendum; @ AmariloJim, et all: http://www.peazip.org/peazip-portable.html

Looks to be a Free Zip/Unzip util, this particular version being the 'portable' or self-contained variant.
(Means, while it 'runs' on your computer, it doesn't get 'installed' on your computer...)

If dubious, give me a day to check it out on Linux & Win8.x platforms, "I'll be back...".
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The 11 minute reading I made of the Beach story was 38 megs as a FLAC file. :shock:

You kinda don't wanna know what it was for an AIFF file (think about 4x that...)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin