1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

Re: 1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

Post by Hansontoons »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:Hey you other DFW Wapsiconners, where's your Munny?

Mine keeps me on task... when there's something to do.
EDIT: pic

Yeah, yeah, I know...but I'm experimenting with clay for a hair effect...

(aaannd...i'm curious to know the project that requires an AT-AT and blue transferware plates)
AT-AT kit was a gift from my daughter, it is just there waiting patiently to be assembled. The open space is where my laptop sits while I work. The blue transfer plate? The postcard with a plate on it is from Calamity ware, they include some in the box with the plate.

Clay, hmm? Little smiling snakies perhaps?
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

DinkyInky wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:Hey you other DFW Wapsiconners, where's your Munny?

Mine keeps me on task... when there's something to do.
IMG_0807.jpg
I did not notice the cute tail she had.

BTW, is that the Programmer's Mantra on that mug?

And I absolutely love the wee box camera and TI calc.
Tail is some cord with paper spikes. The mug has the coffee drinkers mantra, taken from the Mentat's mantra in the Dune movie.

Box camera was an attic find at a grandmother's house. Probably would still work! TI is a throw down for quick numbers. I like my old HP RPN for work. :D
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Hansontoons wrote:AT-AT kit was a gift from my daughter, it is just there waiting patiently to be assembled. The open space is where my laptop sits while I work. The blue transfer plate? The postcard with a plate on it is from Calamity ware, they include some in the box with the plate.
Well, damn. I was hopingfor an AT-AT with cool blue accents...
Hansontoons wrote:Clay, hmm? Little smiling snakies perhaps?
Hadn't thought of that, but now... *rubs chin thoughtfully*
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:Clay, hmm? Little smiling snakies perhaps?
Hadn't thought of that, but now... *rubs chin thoughtfully*
Use paper clips or straightened staples to give the snakes a spine, then put clay on the metal once you bend it into shape with needle nose pliers.

Trying to keep the clay in the right shape long enough to fire it will be tough. The metal spine will support the weight of the clay.

Also, straightened staples, held correctly with needle nose pliers, make excellent detail tools. You can use them to make tiny eyes, maybe even scale marks.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Use quick-setting JB Weld epoxy glue to attach the staples or paper clips to the head of the... Doll... Thingy.
I'm too much!
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Hansontoons wrote: Tail is some cord with paper spikes. The mug has the coffee drinkers mantra, taken from the Mentat's mantra in the Dune movie.

Box camera was an attic find at a grandmother's house. Probably would still work! TI is a throw down for quick numbers. I like my old HP RPN for work. :D
The mentat's version?

"It is by the power of Java alone that sets my mind in motion. By the brewing of the bean, the teeth acquire the stain, the hands acquire the shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by the power of Java alone that sets my mind in motion."

As opposed to the Bene Jesserit version:

"I will not brew decaf. Decaf is the mind killer. Decaf is the little sleep that leads to total oblivion. I will brew my beverages, and allow them to flow through me. And in the end, I shall remain... alert."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I don't think my sculpture attempts will be this good, but here's a couple of things I found doing research...
marka27-munny-UO1.jpg
marka27-munny-UO1.jpg (227.07 KiB) Viewed 7730 times
harshad_the_munny_by_remjie_malham-d5spyd9.jpg
harshad_the_munny_by_remjie_malham-d5spyd9.jpg (160.63 KiB) Viewed 7730 times
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Those don't look like clay. I'm sure it's possible to do that with clay, but I think carving those shapes out of wood or something would be easier... Then using acrylic plaint.
I'm too much!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Harshad was done with sculpey, the stone deity didn't have any description on how it was done...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Can we get a closeup of the mug? Curious as to how close I got reading it.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:I don't think my sculpture attempts will be this good, but here's a couple of things I found doing research...
*snip*
Wish I could afford a Munny to play with creating...those blanks are hella expensive.

Sculpey. Create desired effects, allowing for shrinkage. Bake. Glue to figure. Paint.

My son made Minions and Bad Piggies out of Sculpey. Painted after baking, then glued in hair or other flammable accessories.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DinkyInky wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:I don't think my sculpture attempts will be this good, but here's a couple of things I found doing research...
*snip*
Wish I could afford a Munny to play with creating...those blanks are hella expensive.

Sculpey. Create desired effects, allowing for shrinkage. Bake. Glue to figure. Paint.

My son made Minions and Bad Piggies out of Sculpey. Painted after baking, then glued in hair or other flammable accessories.
Scuply! Why didn't I come up with that before?!? I am creating products for 1/6th scale collectors (Barbi and military) that are either unavailable or pink (yuch)... dishes... cups and saucers... bowls and teapots.... all of traditional designs. Accurate, authentic and relatively cheap. Fine dishes, crockery, everything in between- I had already figured out how to do the flatware. And I know how to do glasses, wine flutes etc- pricey, but doable. Now I can create the dishes- via pressmold!

I had totally forgotten about that stuff...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:
*snip*

I got a munny in a Loot Crate and a couple of months later bought several of them off the ebays for $5 and less. That's where I got my stash for Wapsicon '15. Looking more recently, the sellers must have done better research and most were just a buck or two less than buying them from the source.

A tutorial I saw today showed a fellow that, in making fox ears on one, made a wire frame, filled it out with foil, added a layer of sculpey, smoothed it then baked it at a low temp on the head...
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

DinkyInky wrote:Can we get a closeup of the mug? Curious as to how close I got reading it.
Here you go. I have a second one at work. The one on desk at home arrived with broken handle, I receive replacement no charge.
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG (81.52 KiB) Viewed 7704 times
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

You should totally get a mug that says Heterodyne Industries that looks like the one in the background. :P
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:You should totally get a mug that says Heterodyne Industries that looks like the one in the background. :P
With, of course, a trilobite in the middle, instead of the letter "T"...
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

lake_wrangler wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:You should totally get a mug that says Heterodyne Industries that looks like the one in the background. :P
    CafePress (http://www.cafepress.com/girlgenius) does have some attractive designs for GG mugs...

The T/Dyne mug is from Tesladyne Insustries, from the Atomic Robo webcomic.
    IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG (81.35 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
    DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Hansontoons wrote:
    lake_wrangler wrote:
      CafePress (http://www.cafepress.com/girlgenius) does have some attractive designs for GG mugs...

IMG_0817.JPG
      I have some fun mugs. My son has a cute Poirot mustache mug that he got as a gift...kinda pedestal base...so very cute. I have Beatles mugs of varying stripes that were an annual birthday gift, Vintage grey green glass Coke parfait glasses with handles, a Snoopy one that says, "I'm not worth a thing before Coffee Break"...and one of my fave mugs, "Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday."

--Safyr Drathmir
      scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Hansontoons wrote:CafePress (http://www.cafepress.com/girlgenius) does have some attractive designs for GG mugs...

IMG_0817.JPG
      SO... you were part of the RPG Kickstarter, eh? that's where i got my Tesladyne mug too.
      Don't planto mihi adveho illac
      Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

scantrontb wrote:
      Hansontoons wrote:CafePress (http://www.cafepress.com/girlgenius) does have some attractive designs for GG mugs...

IMG_0817.JPG
      SO... you were part of the RPG Kickstarter, eh? that's where i got my Tesladyne mug too.
      Actually, just ordered mine from the online store...

I ran across the webcomic, ordered the mug after surfacing from an archive dive.

Nobody at work has queried me about the logo, they most likely assume it is from a vendor.

My Alfred E. Neuman mug did get a few hits. My daughter thought the Firesign Theater Bozo mug was disturbing. There was one guy at work that appreciated that one, not many people in my line of work are aware of Firesign.