Fit in 2015-08-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Fit in 2015-08-04

Post by GlytchMeister »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/fit-in-2/

Ahh, books. We can always fit into books.
...although, reading in that position always made my arms ache.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Re: Fit in 2015-08-04

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/fit-in-2/

That's TWICE you've got the jump on us!

I was alway on my belly with my head hanging over the edge of the bed, book on the floor. Strong neck muscles.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:

That's TWICE you've got the jump on us!
Heeheehee...
Maybe Paul's new location propagates to my place faster?

As for hanging your head off the edge: that always made a bunch of blood rush to my head. Feels like my eyeballs are gonna pop.

*blows imaginary smoke from finger gun*
Last edited by GlytchMeister on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

So, she and Atsali definitely have something in common.

"A book is like a garden, carried in the pocket." Books are gateways to Otherwhere.

And, if I recall correctly, freshman year in high school is one of the most difficult. New environment, many of your old friends aren't there, usually a new (larger) group of peers, a whole new social system and class structure (literally) that you aren't part of yet to try to figure out, and you're now old enough to be expected to take on some adult responsibilties but not old enough to be treated seriously as an adult, let alone have any real independence or authority. Basically, the world that you're in, sucks immensely a lot of the time.

Yeah, joining the world that you find in a good book is a welcome refuge.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I get the feeling she might fit in the drama club if the school has one. Band made up the grand majority of my social life in school.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

shadowinthelight wrote:I get the feeling she might fit in the drama club if the school has one. Band made up the grand majority of my social life in school.
I tried out for band, but they didn't like my Banjo...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Methinks soon Devyn will have more friends than she knows what to do with...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Having had 3 sisters, a daughter and 4 granddaughters so far i have noticed that young females much like cats can contort their bodies into shapes and maintain them that would have adults running for the chiropractor if not reconstructive surgery.

I am thinking given her family connections that little D would be in the running for Queen bee as well.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Ehh... Poseidon isn't quite the Godking of the Ancient Greeks. That's his brother.
And, in a world like Wapsi, Ancient Greek gods might not be quite as impressive, due to the amount of competition they have from Aztec/Mayan/Olmec, Ancient Egyptian, and other pantheons. The Abrahamic God might also exist for real, too, but I'm not sure Paul would touch that can-o-worms with a ten foot pole.
I'm too much!
eee

Post by eee »

Maybe this isn't a flashback. Maybe Devyn is just a lonely girl. :(
GlytchMeister wrote:Ehh... Poseidon isn't quite the Godking of the Ancient Greeks. That's his brother.
And, in a world like Wapsi, Ancient Greek gods might not be quite as impressive, due to the amount of competition they have from Aztec/Mayan/Olmec, Ancient Egyptian, and other pantheons. The Abrahamic God might also exist for real, too, but I'm not sure Paul would touch that can-o-worms with a ten foot pole.
I've been wondering about Devyn and Poseidon. Why identify HIM as her uncle? Poseidon, Zeus, Hades, they were all brothers. If Devyn is related to Poseidon by marriage or blood, ALL of them would be her uncles, so why would she (and Jin) refer only to the Earthshaker? Also, if she's related by blood, then her mother or father would be an Olympian god in their own right and Devyn could have threatened the pool flunkie with the full power of the Greek Pantheon. So why only Poseidon?

One possibility is that, since the Greek gods were the original Soap Opera, and you had family relationships that were not only incredibly tangled there were some that could only exist in fantasy, Devyn is telling the truth: Poseidon - and ONLY Poseidon - is her uncle. I don't know how that would be possible. Maybe adoption, maybe one of her parental units is a simularicum created by Poseidon or one of his children, maybe direct divine action. But Mr. Taylor might be cleverer than I in thinking up those sorts of quirks.

Or perhaps Poseidon has become much bigger over the years than Zeus, and invoking his name draws more attention than any other Greek god. Also, whereas Zeus tended to be pretty unpredictable with his offspring and extensive family group - some he would move heaven and earth to help, others he ignored - Poseidon was usually uniformly protective. Mess with one of HIS, you would regret it. Under those circumstances, he would of course be the god Devlyn would invoke...

We won't talk about Hades. Don't want to attract his attention. (shudder)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Anyone else notice how Atsali-like Devyn is? Lonely, few friends, bookish... The parallel is striking...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DilyV wrote:Anyone else notice how Atsali-like Devyn is? Lonely, few friends, bookish... The parallel is striking...
... and like Monica? Methinks Paul has had much contact with such as these in his life... lucky devil...

THAT'S IT!!! THAT is the common thread!!! ALL of us can relate to shy, nervous, nerdy girls. How many guys here think Hermione Granger is HOT? How many girls here would befriend her in school? Or Atsali? or Devyn?
Or Monica?
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
DilyV wrote:Anyone else notice how Atsali-like Devyn is? Lonely, few friends, bookish... The parallel is striking...
... and like Monica? Methinks Paul has had much contact with such as these in his life... lucky devil...

THAT'S IT!!! THAT is the common thread!!! ALL of us can relate to shy, nervous, nerdy girls. How many guys here think Hermione Granger is HOT? How many girls here would befriend her in school? Or Atsali? or Devyn?
Or Monica?
*raises hand enthusiastically* Emma Watson is my favorite celebrity.
I'm too much!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

All of the above, with a preference for Devyn.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Raises hand, nods in Sarge's general direction.

btw- I was being teased some lately because I professed an attraction to a 'local' librarian. It was, as usual, unrequited, in fact unavailable.

But I know what I like.

The greatest love of mine, the one that got away- just so happens to wear a lab coat...

PS- Atsali was introduced, albeit it half birdy-mode, in the Library clutching book bound Adventures.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

While I have always found that particular breed of female VERY attractive, in truth I am a bit too rough-and-tumble for such a creature as various attempts have proven. The lady currently sitting next to me (and make no mistake, 'Lady' she is) can drop a tree with a double-bit ax, change a tire on any car or truck, run a plow or drive 'T' posts all day long... and STILL whup my ass on a chessboard. I used to dream about the shy, delicate types until I realized that my antics where I put myself at risk was more than they could handle.
I needed somebody who is sturdy, brave, smart, honest... and a bit of 'hot'... I REALLY lucked out with Annie.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Someone needs a kaiju friend. I suggest Gamera.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

eee wrote:I've been wondering about Devyn and Poseidon. Why identify HIM as her uncle? Poseidon, Zeus, Hades, they were all brothers. If Devyn is related to Poseidon by marriage or blood, ALL of them would be her uncles, so why would she (and Jin) refer only to the Earthshaker? Also, if she's related by blood, then her mother or father would be an Olympian god in their own right and Devyn could have threatened the pool flunkie with the full power of the Greek Pantheon. So why only Poseidon?
Perhaps Poseidon owns the pool?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:I get the feeling she might fit in the drama club if the school has one. Band made up the grand majority of my social life in school.
Well, she "mess[es] around a bit in theatre" and she's in the speech club...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Someone needs a kaiju friend. I suggest Gamera.
I have recipes for turtle...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.