Windows 10

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Catawampus

Re: Windows 10

Post by Catawampus »

Since we're on the subject of getting Windows to not do annoying things, does anybody have any idea how to get Windows 8 to stop having this annoying little window pop up every time I put in a password on any website? It has an option for turning it off for each individual situation, but doesn't seem to have any sort of a master kill switch for if you don't want the stupid thing to keep asking you every time you go to a new site.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Catawampus wrote:Since we're on the subject of getting Windows to not do annoying things, does anybody have any idea how to get Windows 8 to stop having this annoying little window pop up every time I put in a password on any website? It has an option for turning it off for each individual situation, but doesn't seem to have any sort of a master kill switch for if you don't want the stupid thing to keep asking you every time you go to a new site.
That's a Firefox issue, not a Windows one. I think it's something in the settings, but I'm not sure (since I'm on the iPad ATM).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus: You'll want to go into settings and turn off the option for Firefox to remember passwords. Something like "Never remember Passwords."
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yep - it would be Tools > Options > Security, then uncheck "Remember Passwords For Sites".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Just a little post to Peep that I'll be catching up with you guys momentarily; I just freed up an external drive and obtained some blank DVDs to archive current setup prior to jumping into Win10.

I haven't yet downloaded the standalone .ISO yet though...

For the record this'll be an OEM Win8.x, w/out touchscreen, laptop install.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

TazManiac wrote:Just a little post to Peep that I'll be catching up with you guys momentarily; I just freed up an external drive and obtained some blank DVDs to archive current setup prior to jumping into Win10.

I haven't yet downloaded the standalone .ISO yet though...

For the record this'll be an OEM Win8.x, w/out touchscreen, laptop install.
(edit Win8 w/ Bing, which means No to Pro, version that is...)

Well, an update- I've successfully downloaded both Reg and Pro versions of the WinTen ISO. Also, I've been looking into stuff, Thx to those that provided links.

My current delay is based on the need/want/requirement that I archive the OEM recovery partition(s) prior to this, in fact If all goes as planned I'll likely just delete them altogether. But not without a fallback option first.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Off and on (a day or two at a time over the last few weeks...) I've been investigating one of my local church's PCs, units that had been donated w' blank HDs and licence tags for either XP or VIsta at the most; I had defaulted to building up two Linux images last year-

- Ubuntu Studio w/ additional LibreOffice suite &
- Edubuntu for the summer school class-room systems.

Since one of the main systems in the 'office' was still running XP we talked Pastor into springing for some low-cost Microsoft WinTen licenses,
as a non-profit it was pennies on the dollar vs retail.

Soooo, I've just this month gotten my hand dirty with Win10.

I must say it's been pretty smooth but it also hasn't been an in-place upgrade but full out clean installs.

I've got to think thats the preferred way to go; not overlaying a dialed in setup but archiving data and clean-install.

More to follow...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:I must say it's been pretty smooth but it also hasn't been an in-place upgrade but full out clean installs.

I've got to think thats the preferred way to go; not overlaying a dialed in setup but archiving data and clean-install.

More to follow...
From what I have read, and I may yet test this out in a virtual machine, for those getting the free update, the file you download to install Win10 will work as an update, the first time around. Once an update has been made from your PC, which is now registered (i.e. Win10 is registered) with MS, you can use the same file (I think) to actually do full installs instead. But only once an update was made, first. So, presumably, one might be able to update their Win7 or Win 8.x machine, register their Win10, then wipe everything out and do a clean install, which may work better.

I am a little vague on the details, but that's what I remember. I would have to test it out, to corroborate, but have no time (or inclination) to do so at this time...

I may still do so eventually, if only because I may need to familiarize myself with it, somewhat, in order to help friends later on...

Meanwhile, I am quite happy running Ubuntu Studio 14.04... :D
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Meanwhile, I am quite happy running ...

Currently posting from [drum roll...]

Ubuntu Studio 14.04... :D

addendum, this laptop started getting read/write errors on the original HD, so a swapped it out for a faster RPM model with a bit of a bump in capacity.

I transfered the oem HD into an external drive enclosure withe the intention of recovering the Win8 partitions, but now I'm looking at restoring the dual-boot nature of my everyday system with a Linux/Win10 Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde setup... (I'll be all set if I can just register/activate the Win10 clean install w/ the oem Win8 s/n.)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
TazManiac wrote:I must say it's been pretty smooth but it also hasn't been an in-place upgrade but full out clean installs.

More to follow...
From what I have read, and I may yet test this out in a virtual machine, for those getting the free update, the file you download to install Win10 will work as an update, the first time around. Once an update has been made from your PC, which is now registered (i.e. Win10 is registered) with MS, you can use the same file (I think) to actually do full installs instead. But only once an update was made, first. So, presumably, one might be able to update their Win7 or Win 8.x machine, register their Win10, then wipe everything out and do a clean install, which may work better.

I am a little vague on the details, but that's what I remember. I would have to test it out, to corroborate, but have no time (or inclination) to do so at this time...

I may still do so eventually, if only because I may need to familiarize myself with it, somewhat, in order to help friends later on...

Meanwhile, I am quite happy running Ubuntu Studio 14.04... :D
Win 10 brute forced itself onto my laptop, and bricked it, and surprise! MS refuses to return my emails. HP is trying to see if they can find a physical disc for me in archives, but I'm not holding my breath. If they do, I'm dual booting Mint and locking the @$#%&? out of my system. It was under a hefty manufacturers warranty for three years so I didn't set it up, much to my annoyance. I was going to buy an extension three for $50, but Win10 borked it. If HP manages to help me with a recovery 8 disc, I'm sold. I'll buy the warranty, and another laptop for me, and do a Mint USB boot.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

The future isn't here fast enough but we are getting closer. ReactOS 0.4.0 Released
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

D.Inky, would it help to provide a link to a down-loadable WinTen .ISO file?

(One that can be used to do a clean install onto a 'blank' hard drive...)

Microsoft sourced, completely above-board; you'll need to be able to download a large 2.8-4Gig image, be able to burn that downloaded .iso to a blank DVD, and spec in advance whether you are installing a 32 or 64 bit version.

Also have a legitimate serial number for your Win10 license... (Or a Win7, Win8, or Win8.1 # and be able to call a human being @ tech support to get the new install activated...)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:D.Inky, would it help to provide a link to a down-loadable WinTen .ISO file?

(One that can be used to do a clean install onto a 'blank' hard drive...)

Microsoft sourced, completely above-board; you'll need to be able to download a large 2.8-4Gig image, be able to burn that downloaded .iso to a blank DVD, and spec in advance whether you are installing a 32 or 64 bit version.

Also have a legitimate serial number for your Win10 license... (Or a Win7, Win8, or Win8.1 # and be able to call a human being @ tech support to get the new install activated...)
I don't want 10 anywhere near my machine. I didn't want it when it forced itself on my machine, and choked on install. I want my 8.1 that worked.

I haven't liked Windows since XP died, but gave 8 a shot, and after changing one thing on it, got it working flawlessly. Stupid MicroShaft broke my machine and won't fix it.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sick, and not having my laptop is a sore subject.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Trust me, want you want is a non-upgrade, clean install of Ten, not funky 8.x...

(I knooow what you want, truuuust me B]) )
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:Trust me, want you want is a non-upgrade, clean install of Ten, not funky 8.x...

*unintelligible raving*

No, I don't want 10. Ever.

--Safyr Drathmir
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Microsoft has been getting a bit annoyingly insistent on my computer about upgrading, but I'm not rushing out to do so. I've managed to get my current edition of Windows running well enough, and don't feel any particular need to change it just for the sake of change.

I'll probably see if I can find some machine running 10 so that I can play around on it and find out what it's like well before any possibility of switching my own computer over.
DinkyInky wrote:No, I don't want 10. Ever.
I hear that Windows 30 will be optimised for looking into the more risque XXX corners of the online world. Windows 404 will probably be less popular, though.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DinkyInky wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Trust me, want you want is a non-upgrade, clean install of Ten, not funky 8.x...

*unintelligible raving*

No, I don't want 10. Ever.
Aaaaaaaargh, but I'm biologically predisposed to fix stuff*,
plus, plus, plus- I'm emotionally inclined to want to make you happy,
and, and, and- I can't help but think it could be, um, better for you....

(Note to self; I think she already uses Linux so there is likely no real need to continue with the 'softening up' preconditioning...)

*(and by 'fixing stuff' I really mean dissect and re-engineer...)

Friday, I just got finished tuning up a room full of WinX based PCs, including two OSX mac minis, and there was Vista, [edit- &Win7], Win8, and Win10 to contend with...
Asus netbook found failed right out of the gate; Broadcom drivers wont enable wifi, even after a purge back to the factory install/reset...

Here's a representative link;
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... efc?page=1

It's currently running Win8.1 from the factory but there are a few peculiarities; its got a x64 main chip but can only deal with a 32bit UEFI Booter,
stuff like that.

It only was wifi for connectivity, besides two USB ports- there is no Ethernet port, etc...

I'm thinking of capturing the OEM OS 's/n' and shoot for a Win10 clean install with the Win8.x wifi drivers, this seems (so far) to be the only way around the problem. (If I actually owned it I'd think to Nuke it from Orbit, it's the only way to be sure...)

I'll let folks know how it turns out.