Stop Something Stupid 2015-06-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Stop Something Stupid 2015-06-26

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:*Reads third panel*
Teenage girls using logic? In a social situation amongst themselves? To AVOID drama?
Whaaaaat?
You feel that spray on your face? As if you were standing near a waterfall, or being splashed by a cannonballer in the pool?

Examine it closely.

See all those little particles floating in the liquid? Tiny, barely-visible specks of Motivation that won't dissolve?

That, my friend, is what chemists refer to as the Suspension of Disbelief. Swallowing some of it keeps us from jumping to precipitate conclusions about the situation, and allows the characters to solve the situation in their own proper way. Call Lloyd if you need more of it. :mrgreen:

(Places a whole case of Pyrex glassware into the Pun Jar. Ouch... have you priced that stuff lately?)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

jwhouk wrote:UST?

Edit: Oh. Unresolved Sexual Tension.
I didnt know what UST was either. Must be one of those kid things that just went by unnoticed by these old eyes. Sorta like them things they used to advertise as so easy even a 9 year old can do it. You could never find a 9 year old handy though to help.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Finally figured it out, what Tunamom reminds me of. The Lifethread mom from Kill la Kill. faces and such are very similar. Come to think of it actions seem to be as well. Wonder if they might be friends?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
as363

Post by as363 »

[quote="Dave"]"Scott to bridge! Captain, I'm getting a massive irruption of common sense and rationality down here, and the drama generators canna stand the strain... they're shutting down. The embarrassment drive can't get any traction at all. I tried injecting self-anger into the rumination chamber, but it dissipated in the honesty field. There's nothin' more I can do... I canna change the laws of discourse!"[quote
True - but I understand that either his bones or ashes were ejected into space from a rocket. Or is that just a fantasy if mine.]" Edited too many times - Stupid Fingers
Dave

Post by Dave »

as363 wrote:True - but I understand that either his bones or ashes were ejected into space from a rocket. Or is that just a fantasy if mine.]" Edited too many times - Stupid Fingers
Yes, that did happen.
illiad

Post by illiad »

zachariah wrote:I wonder if Sali realizes that Nadette is actually nude? After all they usually only morph their clothes, cheaper that way. Also to ursa morphs there is no such thing as nudity as they always have fur. To them morphing coverings like a swim suit is just to look the same to other people who have that silly nudity convention.
'silly nudity convention' ?? I refer you to why... :P

Yeah... and did you realize, ALL animals are NAKED??? its only 'civilized' humans are stoopid about it... :roll: :roll: African tribesmen dont bother...
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Akeche wrote:Before everyone starts fanning themselves and waving their shipping flags just yet. I'm not sure how it is where you guys are, or Paul is, or even how it tends to be in our supernatural version of the Twin Cities. But a lot of the time I'll hear completely straight women refer to their other lady friends as girlfriends. I'm certain that isn't just a southern thing.
It's not.
It also seems to be a source of ire for the LGTB community, as I occasionally have a rant about (and other stuff) float across my tumblr dash.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

illiad wrote:Akeche: as I said.. girls like confusing people... :) :P

only one rule- once you start getting a clue about their 'rules' they change them all.. :roll:
Most of it is in how a person is socialized growing up. With about a 10 to 35% portion of it being they're personalities. Of course, outliers do exist.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Having Nadette referred to as her "girlfriend" may have gone over Atsali's head. Let's see how long it takes before she notices.
Dave

Post by Dave »

illiad wrote:Yeah... and did you realize, ALL animals are NAKED??? its only 'civilized' humans are stoopid about it...
I agree with the latter statement... but it means that the former is not always strictly true...

Last edited by Dave on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

That cat is plotting a horrific vengeance.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

illiad wrote:
zachariah wrote:I wonder if Sali realizes that Nadette is actually nude? After all they usually only morph their clothes, cheaper that way. Also to ursa morphs there is no such thing as nudity as they always have fur. To them morphing coverings like a swim suit is just to look the same to other people who have that silly nudity convention.
'silly nudity convention' ?? I refer you to why... :P

Yeah... and did you realize, ALL animals are NAKED??? its only 'civilized' humans are stoopid about it... :roll: :roll: African tribesmen dont bother...
We have this convention due to social standards. While in some climates clothes are indeed needed to stay warm, they are not required everywhere. Very few of older societies really cared that much about. Greek, roman, Egyptian, and Polynesian did not. Others as well. Only in ones where nudity was considered wrong and sinful in some way.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:That cat is plotting a horrific vengeance.
And planning to explain a few things to Tracy Butler in hell. :twisted:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

But if people like to wear animal prints shouldn't those animals be wearing people designs?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

even more so than normal... ye gawds! what possesses people to DO that to the animals?

and DON'T say Demons! we already know that they can only harm the HUMAN they're inside of...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

scantrontb wrote:
even more so than normal... ye gawds! what possesses people to DO that to the animals?

and DON'T say Demons! we already know that they can only harm the HUMAN they're inside of...
look at the face of that poor cat, you think its not going to result in harm for that human? demon still a viable answer. lol
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

This is an unrelated thing, but I've always been a little curious what program Paul uses to do his work in. Photoshop? Illustrator? Does he sketch things in one and then ink them in another. Is the final comic layout put together in InDesign. Or does he just use a program that's more primarily focused on illustration?

Given that I work with those programs myself, just can't help but feel curious. I'd doubt anyone here could know from firsthand experience, I don't recall Paul ever doing livestreams.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Akeche: well you could always ASK... :)

oh and... :p
kingklash wrote:Having Nadette referred to as her "girlfriend" may have gone over Atsali's head. Let's see how long it takes before she notices.
That's as maybe, but she was told Nadette loves her, and managed to tell her that! :D :D
Dave

Post by Dave »

Akeche wrote:This is an unrelated thing, but I've always been a little curious what program Paul uses to do his work in. Photoshop? Illustrator? Does he sketch things in one and then ink them in another.
Paul does the first phases quite traditionally... Bristol stock, pencil (graphite or blue), and ink markers and pens. This is how the characters, borders, speech balloons, and some details (and occasionally speech and sound effects) are done... by hand. No "undo" button, no copy/paste/drag.

(If you buy a daily in one of his eBay auctions, this is what you win... real physical art, sketched and inked by his own hand. "Not Alone" was done entirely this way... as far as I can tell there was no electronic manipulation at all involved (I originally said "no digital manipulation" but that was obviously wrong 8-) ). Custom commissions are like this, but even moreso... see Joe Minotaur's "A Game of Chess", or "Time in the Time Forest"... I suspect Sarge's Castela-and-Minotaur commission next month will be likewise impressive.)

Paul then scans the art, and uses software (I don't know which) to add backgrounds and dialog text and effects. The blue-pencil sketch is usually eliminated here; in a few strips, he uses a graphite pencil and it's still visible as outline or shading in the final drawing (e.g. angry, bristling Nudge).

(If you buy a print of a daily from Paul's website, you get the final version, with digital backgrounds and text.)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
illiad wrote:Yeah... and did you realize, ALL animals are NAKED??? its only 'civilized' humans are stoopid about it...
I agree with the latter statement... but it means that the former is not always strictly true...
*whistles*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir