No Fun For An Idiot In The Sun 2015-06-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
chibichibi01

Re: No Fun For An Idiot In The Sun 2015-06-25

Post by chibichibi01 »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Thor wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:So, its been a while since I've been here and participated in any sort of discussion, so idk if its been mentioned before now, but what Atsali is describing sounds very much like myself. And I'm an aspie. It really makes me feel good to see someone like me in a comic/media that isn't some sort of murderer.
You don't remember what Atsali did to Tsillah's mom, do you?

(She wasn't successful in the murder (for a number of reasons) but it's the actions that count!)
Not a murderer, just a dangerous startle reflex. :ugeek:
^This.

There's a difference between someone with a dangerous startle reflex and someone who is a cold blooded murderer. I've seen the "I can't read people, I'm a robot that murders people" trope one too many times and its nice to see someone portrayed with Aspie characteristics that isn't that.
ImageImage
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Atsali is well on the way to patching her relationship with Nadette.
A little boob squish goes a long way.
Still, there's a risk of it going the wrong way.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
illiad

Post by illiad »

Opus the Poet wrote:An example of what happened the first time Nadette was "exposed" to Atsali's "squishy chest parts". http://wapsisquare.com/comic/one-spare-sister
heh, had that witha busty friend of mine... she was trying to remove her jumper over her head, but removed *all* (no bra) :twisted: :P

she said 'what? what?' until she realised we were all staring at her wonderful threepennies.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

illiad wrote:she said 'what? what?' until she realised we were all staring at her wonderful threepennies.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Once upon a time, a B-movie critic named Joe Bob Brigggs published his Canonical Hooters List. It listed 1,185 euphemisms from "A-B-Cs" to "ZZ Tops". Google search fails to locate that document (just outdated links to his site that have gone 404), but my archives contains a copy I saved as a spreadsheet on 2010-09-22. Your contribution does not appear on his list.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AmriloJim wrote:
illiad wrote:she said 'what? what?' until she realised we were all staring at her wonderful threepennies.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Once upon a time, a B-movie critic named Joe Bob Brigggs published his Canonical Hooters List. It listed 1,185 euphemisms from "A-B-Cs" to "ZZ Tops". Google search fails to locate that document (just outdated links to his site that have gone 404), but my archives contains a copy I saved as a spreadsheet on 2010-09-22. Your contribution does not appear on his list.
Try the Internet Archive.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
illiad

Post by illiad »

sorry, but my well endowed friend has never appeared in movies...

If you are still in search of a clue... :)
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

illiad wrote:sorry, but my well endowed friend has never appeared in movies...

It's a Cockney rhyme (sp?). Like "butcher's hook" for "look", or "septic tank" for "yank". British society tend to be pretty xenophobic, arrogant and self important.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Kirishala

Post by Kirishala »

AmriloJim wrote:
The Internet Archive is handy for such situations http://web.archive.org/web/201001071930 ... hooter.txt
illiad

Post by illiad »

oh how quaint!! :) do you have the dot-matrix printout of the 'top girl' too??? :mrgreen:
Gyrrakavian wrote:British society tend to be pretty xenophobic, arrogant and self important.
compared to who?? sound more like some USA... you may have met the usually brainless Londoners :roll: ...
If you venture 100 miles or so south or north you should find them a lot better...
I was born in scotland, where they are much more friendly - My family moved south back then to get better jobs... :)
Last edited by illiad on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOMIB

Post by TOMIB »

captnq wrote:
TOMIB wrote:Vampires, mermaids, sirens, okay, all of those survive suspension of disbelief, but is there even such a thing as a person who can't read emotions at all? How do you survive even casual interaction without any sort of ability to read those around you?
I'd have to say.... everyone.

So my childhood was basically getting the crap beat out of me once a week for 9 years or so. So after I had my face reattached, I basically have the range of facial expressions ranging from: NONE to Scowl to Constipated Forced Smirk. So I basically leave it on NONE.

You have no idea how much it freaks people out.

In fact, even if I point it out, it don't matter with most people. Add in the nerve damage so my body language is a little off and I become a Human Rorschach Test for how people are feeling. I've been attacked by co-workers because "They could see how angry I was by the look of rage on my face". Boy were they surprised when I asked "Which side was filled with rage? Because this half is mostly paralyzed."

90% of the people you meet totally SUCK at reading body language and facial expressions. Hell, when I play poker, I can kick ass against professionals, but suck against amateurs. People like to THINK they are good at reading people, but they suck. Sp the idea there's someone out there who is the far end of the bell curve? Sure. Totally acceptable.

You might be surprised. I apparently scare the crap out of people. I've never understood why. My (grown) kids have informed me that their friends are mostly terrified of me, and my oldest daughter's boss nearly didn't let me in one day when I went to pick her up.

Misreading expressions, I understand. And the face thing. My younger daughter had an awful time recognizing individual faces. My ex, (no doubt deliberately) seemed absolutely incapable of correctly understanding people's body language.

It's just the utter lack of ANY recognition, even incorrect recognition that's giving me trouble.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
illiad wrote:sorry, but my well endowed friend has never appeared in movies...

It's a Cockney rhyme (sp?). Like "butcher's hook" for "look", or "septic tank" for "yank". British society tend to be pretty xenophobic, arrogant and self important.
Well, yeah - but in practical usage, you just say "butcher's" - the rhyme is understood. Calling a Bronx cheer a raspberry is rhyming slang - the full phrase is "raspberry tart".

"Load of old cobblers" (a preposterous or mendacious story) is from "cobbler's halls"...

================

So "threepennies" would be "threepenny bits".
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
illiad

Post by illiad »

auto correct?? :D :/ - I think you mean "cobbler's awl" from here...
The rhyming slang linked cobbler’s awls with balls, that is, testicles.
- now where ''balls' became linked to 'rubbish', etc, is a much deeper story... I guess take a 'rude' body part, and use it as an insult..
ah found .. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bollocks

'balls' are often called 'bollocks' from the old english, 'beallucas', originally a diminutive form of 'ball'..

As they say, the only difference between Rugby and English football, is the shape of their balls!!! :lol:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

illiad wrote:auto correct?? :D :/ - I think you mean "cobbler's awl" from here...
The rhyming slang linked cobbler’s awls with balls, that is, testicles.
Dunno why i typed it that way...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.