Only A Test 2015-06-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Re: Only A Test 2015-06-12

Post by GlytchMeister »

Wow.
I feel like I'm the only millennial here.

I suppose this explains why so many of your references and jokes whizz right over my head so often.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

I hit 61 back at the beginning of the year, guess that puts me in the "ole fart's" club.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

GlytchMeister wrote:Wow.

I suppose this explains why so many of your references and jokes whizz right over my head so often.
Ok -- let's see:

Inception. Avatar. Recent stuff.

Jurassic Park. Alien. A while ago.

Star Wars. Blazing Saddles. Oldies, but goodies.

The Longest Day. The Man with No Name. Even older.

Cleopatra. Paint Your Wagon. Maybe you've heard of them.

The Day the Earth Stood Still. Ernie Kovacs. Cliche sources. Haven't see the "original."

Dracula. Frankenstein. Stereotypes -- wait -- just where did they come from again?

Feeling Old/Young now?

You really owe it to yourself to find somebody way older than you and ask them about stuff they enjoyed as a kid. Then go see/watch/read it. You may never otherwise learn/encounter/discover Trigger, Rin Tin Tin, and Francis the Talking Mule. Or Abbott and Costello, or Twelve O'Clock High, or Doctor Phibes, or....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Not to worry, son- there are deep wells of wisdom here to draw from... most of it will get you in trouble, but it's still fun...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
tophoo

Post by tophoo »

Sgt. Howard wrote:

Not to worry, son- there are deep wells of wisdom here to draw from... most of it will get you in trouble, but it's still fun...
Of course, that 'wisdom' might just be bullshit delivered with authority...
Y'know, I've got a nice, concise, little avatar pic that I've been using for ten damned years, and this is the first place I've ever tried to use it that said it was too big.
Screw it- I'm stayin' generic.
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

tophoo wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:

Of course, that 'wisdom' might just be bullshit delivered with authority...
But it's fun bullshit... :D
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

We've had YEARS to hone our delivery...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

jwhouk wrote:I have an LEM cutout model on my desk, and I still honestly can't believe we made to to the moon and back with that contraption.

But they did. And we have the visual proof of satellite photos of the Sea of Tranquility.
If you believe that there really was a satellite. Or a Sea of Tranquility. Or a moon (I know one woman who is convinced that the moon is an elaborate mock-up).
AnotherFairportfan

Evey time i look at this page i'm more amused by Jessie's reaction...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Sits back in the Buda position and delivers the numerous pearls of wisdom.... sorry cant do it with a straight face. We just had more time to screw up and maybe learn from it. Just what ever you do dont get them started talking about walking 5 miles to school, up hill both ways through hip deep snow in Florida fighting a dinosaur. Laugh all you want my 6 year old granddaughter wanted to know if i had one when i was little, of course i said yes.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
as363

Post by as363 »

And right now - here on Reno Nevada - I'm watching the Science channel where people are still debating whether or not we landed on the Moon. And you can still see - with a good scope - the remains of the lander and the tracks of the driving vehicle and the foot-prints.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

They left a laser reflector at Tranquility Base. Researchers have been pinging it since 1969. Lots of other researchers have received and analyzed the rocks they brought back.

I've spent a lot of my adult life drinking with geologists, and let me tell ya--you're not gonna maintain a silent global conspiracy for 46 years if geologists are involved.

Was it Harlan Ellison who observed that stupidity is more plentiful than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life? :roll:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Typeminer wrote:They left a laser reflector at Tranquility Base. Researchers have been pinging it since 1969. Lots of other researchers have received and analyzed the rocks they brought back.
Actually, Apollo 11 was the only one that didn't have a reflector. The others, however, did - including 17, the last one.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Typeminer wrote:Was it Harlan Ellison who observed that stupidity is more plentiful than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life? :roll:
Case in point: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent out a tweet applauding the movie "Jurassic World" for not using real animals in the film.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

AmriloJim wrote:
Typeminer wrote:Was it Harlan Ellison who observed that stupidity is more plentiful than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life? :roll:
Case in point: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent out a tweet applauding the movie "Jurassic World" for not using real animals in the film.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

I think it was Asimov, and that the original observation was that the two most common things in the Univers are hydrogen and stupidity.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Could be worse. You could be GenX like me, having to choose references from their media or your media, with scant little of my media in between.

(Stupid demographic bulges trying to crowd out the chosen people...)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thor wrote:Could be worse. You could be GenX like me, having to choose references from their media or your media, with scant little of my media in between.

(Stupid demographic bulges trying to crowd out the chosen people...)
Do give us oldfarts some credit, Thor. We try to be very understanding and compassionate when interacting with those whose references sometimes include (shudder) Disco. A terrible thing it was, to have a young generation exposed to something like that during their impressionable, formative years. :twisted:
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

AmriloJim wrote:
what?, WHAT?!... NO Way... Blue wasn't a FAKE... i mean come on! you could TELL that the stupid pig was TOTALLY a Fake, since when have you ever seen a pig that ran that fast before? huh? yeah, those CGI guys REALLY screwed up on that pig by making it run so fast... but NO WAY was Blue a fake... the Moasaur, well, maybe... the Assistant assigned to watch the kids might have been a stunt double or CGI effect, but hmm, i don't know, I'd be asking for a whole lotta money if i had to do that scene... so yeah, that Dino MIGHT have been CGI, though it might have been easier to have the HUMAN as the CGI effect and just superimpose her onto the live film of the Moasaur, i mean they have the human form, from all these HD video games and such, down to a science now, right? it would be easier on the budget to just get a generic human from some video game engine and have it "eaten by dinosaur" than it would be otherwise, and for a big-budget movie like that where they had to build a theme park out in the boonies and transport all those people to the island, let alone all the R&D for the Hampster-Balls and the cost of installing that Mag-Lev train system... yeah, they'd want to save on any little bit they could in order to make ends meet money-wise...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Just history repeating itself. Some people thought the dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925) were real and demanded to know where they found the animals.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!