My Friend 2015-06-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: My Friend 2015-06-02

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:I'm pretty sure that whomever deals with Mrs. Gottlieb won't draw blood... Humiliation however is another matter. Jin has entirely too much fun messing with people's minds...
The really subtle and Machiavellian way to do this (which Jin might enjoy very much) would be to see that Mrs. Gottlieb learns just how dangerous and high-caliber a gang she's been offending... and not make any overt threats or humiliating moves at all. No violence. No stormy promises of reprisal. Just a firm, level-eyed look, right in her eyes. Watch the news sink in... and watch Mrs. Mom turn pale and then back carefully and quietly away from the situation.

Think "Brash, loud, obnoxious person walks into a cave... and realizes, almost too late, that it's full of sleeping lions, tigers, and bears."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Akeche wrote:Does anyone else have a better memory than me on what sparked the changing of the torch? I'd imagine if Jessie just... came into it because of who she is, and Atsali was simply 'handed' the status off by a higher power.
It was triggered by the realization that Atsali's adoptive aunt is Monica, The Demon Shepherd and Jaguar Girl.

And, she has a sister who is powerful enough to stomp a Fae into the ground.

Jessie realized that she was outclassed, and as she was apparently less than enchanted with what it means to be the Queen Bee of the school, she "resigned the role" without a fight.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

kingklash wrote:"Damage Control"? Seriously?

The only damage we'll see is when Queen Tuna gets her ego torpedoed after she finds out where the seven-foot booby actually fits in among the Important People. Rich and Social would die from lack of oxygen where Atsali soars.
I'm honestly wondering what the hell this "damage control" could possibly be.
Is there some sort of para equivalent of Bluebeard mixed with Don Juan hanging around the para pool or something? Possibly some form of beauty vampire (for lack of a better term) Or a para version of Buffalo Bob?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Wdot wrote:I'm putting my guess in for Devyn being a Jörmungandr, because a Midguard serpent going "squeak" would be too funny.
I'm glad to see Jesse refer to Atsali as her friend, too, which lets a certain honey talking gorgon say "I told ya so, honey."
I was guessing she was a selkie. Though, I don't know how much squeaking seals do. Perhaps some otter related mythological creature (considering her stature).
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Akeche wrote: and in truth sometimes a siren and a mermaid is one in the same. That isn't the case here, but there might still be some relation between the species which I'd assume would spark another grudge.
In French, both words translate to "sirène"...
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

Dave wrote:Think "Brash, loud, obnoxious person walks into a cave... and realizes, almost too late, that it's full of sleeping lions, tigers, and bears."
Oh, my!
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Atomic wrote:OK People -- we need to start thinking about which strong, squeaking, mystic creature that Devyn might be!

Ultra mouse?
Mega bat?
Hyper porpoise?
If we get a vote, I'm stumping for Alien Space Bat!
Gavote

Post by Gavote »

Squeaky, body issues, I'm betting Devyn is a harpy.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gavote wrote:Squeaky, body issues, I'm betting Devyn is a harpy.
Considering the way that "body shaming" is a hot-button issue for her, maybe her para-morph is to a form that's generally considered unattractive or unwieldy? Elephant-seal selkie?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"You're too good to have friends"

GYAAAHHH!!! I hope I'm NEVER that good!!!
I can't limerick this broad- not without insulting limericks! Life without friends... is that even life? Sounds about as much fun as shaving your head with a cheese grater while chewing on tin foil. She is her own worst enemy... and doesn't even know it.

Yay Jessie- THAT took courage... but then again, rage can overcome fear, especially when rage is righteously based.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Gavote wrote:Squeaky, body issues, I'm betting Devyn is a harpy.
Considering the way that "body shaming" is a hot-button issue for her, maybe her para-morph is to a form that's generally considered unattractive or unwieldy? Elephant-seal selkie?
... maybe she looks like Jessie's mom without the make-up and nose job...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Paul seldom resorts to bloodshed- usually violence is limited to creatures that are imperviouse to permanent damage.
I'll give you "seldom" at least, but it does happen - usually to those who are rather pervious - and with more gusto than "resorting" to it.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Sgt. Howard wrote:"You're too good to have friends"

GYAAAHHH!!! I hope I'm NEVER that good!!!
I can't limerick this broad- not without insulting limericks! Life without friends... is that even life? Sounds about as much fun as shaving your head with a cheese grater while chewing on tin foil. She is her own worst enemy... and doesn't even know it.

Yay Jessie- THAT took courage... but then again, rage can overcome fear, especially when rage is righteously based.
An old saying: "Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate."

Mom seems like the collecting type.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Sgt. Howard wrote:

... Four? No WONDER it ran so rough... and yeah, the manual being in Italian wasn't too clear about lube points, at least not to me.
One of the benefits of being "adopted" into a Sicilian family, they were literate in Italian. That and a pound of pasta with pesto being considered an "appetizer". Granma Elise firmly believed that love was putting your relatives in a food coma. :shock: :lol:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Has anybody else mentioned, that despite her obvious foul attitude, Tuna Mom is, well, kinda hot...

(Cougar of the Sea?)
illiad

Post by illiad »

TazManiac wrote:Has anybody else mentioned, that despite her obvious foul attitude, Tuna Mom is, well, kinda hot...

(Cougar of the Sea?)
the problem with those kind of cougars is they get a BF, and then they are so busy doing their stuff, modelling, travelling the world, and then they wonder why BF leaves??? :roll:
Last edited by illiad on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:

... Four? No WONDER it ran so rough... and yeah, the manual being in Italian wasn't too clear about lube points, at least not to me.
One of the benefits of being "adopted" into a Sicilian family, they were literate in Italian. That and a pound of pasta with pesto being considered an "appetizer". Granma Elise firmly believed that love was putting your relatives in a food coma. :shock: :lol:
Hmm, you might consider getting in good with a Native American family. I personally recommend one of us Plains Tribes. During most major gatherings, we will feed any and all present. And encourage loading up a plate or few to take home.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Just a few bags of frybread would probably do it for me.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I am off to 'the country', where fry bread abound...

(What? It's been a couple of pages, there be drift matey...)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

TazManiac wrote:I am off to 'the country', where fry bread abound...

(What? It's been a couple of pages, there be drift matey...)
Just in case, here's a super basic recipe, which can be altered later to suit individual taste.

You need:
Warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Sift the dry ingredients into a big bowl.
Slowly add the warm water until the dough feels like mud.
Mix and knead until smooth.
Cover for ten minutes or so.
Break into lemon size pieces.
Roll into balls, then flatten, and poke a hole through the center. (It helps them cook faster, and avoids doughy middles)
Heat oil in pan.
Lay one or two pieces in the hot oil, bottom edge closest to you, and then toward the far edge of pan, so you don't accidentally splash yourself. Hot oil, you know.
Fry until golden brown, turning over once if needed.
Best served fresh, either with you meal, or after with honey.

After you've got a few batches practice, you can vary your recipe to local tribe's style. Some make them small, some large, some round, some square. Others add sugar into the dough. Or omit the hole in the center. Around here, it's mostly made with all-purpose flour, and some milk (preferably canned evap).

Enjoy!