Just Look 2015-05-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Just Look 2015-05-21

Post by lake_wrangler »

You know, I'm glad to see where this is going. It fleshes out the scene more than just going for the throat with the confrontation with whoever was "offended" the last time Atsali was at the pool. This is no mere window dressing. It makes the story more realistic.

And it shows us, once again, that presuppositions are usually wrong. In an interesting, realistic manner.
Thor

Post by Thor »

lake_wrangler wrote:

And it shows us, once again, that presuppositions are usually wrong.
I read this the first time as "the proportions are usually wrong", and I was going to say, hey, that's just part of his drawing style . . . which just goes to further illustrate what you actually said.

(Though once I notice the thinness and length of the character's necks, it does usually take a couple of days for that to not jump out at me.)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I wonder if the "woman who threw them out" didn't mean to have them thrown out - or if it was as we're all anticipating, she didn't know WHO Atsali was...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

oldmanmickey wrote:
Dave wrote:Sarge, that talent is a national asset. Don't ever leave it outside to rust, OK?
wait till he puts them to music
I'm wondering if he might be one of the usual filkers for Skin Horse.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Four truckloads in route to confusion corner- dry salami, swiss and mushroom piroshki, roast beef, cheddar and onion piroshki, spinach, mushroom and onion piroshki, salmon and cream cheese piroshki, round loaves of peasant rye bread, several selections of cheese, 1998 Porto (three cases), 2011 Chateau La Tour de Bessan Bordeaux (Eighteen bottles), several cases of unassuming Californian Chablis, a keg of Iron Bitch Ale, a keg of Fat Tire, a keg of Bass and a keg of Brew-Ha-Ha Irish Stout.

... and bits and pieces of dog...
Hey Sarge, what's a piroshki? Not being funny, it's just...
Kapusta i kiełbasa, ziemniaki i ser, grzyby i ziemniaki, owoce pierogi rozumiem...but the only thing I managed to find with my google-fu was similar to what Americans consider a Kolach, and appetising it's not.

I'm half Polish and love the simple foods of the region to clarify my reason for asking.
Pirogi, I believe, is the Polish for them. I learn from a Russian Babushka, but they are also quite popular among Saxons, Hessians and Prussians. Any man that can eat more than three is a serious troughman.

... the Brew-Ha-Ha anymore does not exist- it was my own personal recipe from my drinking days. Too potent to be called a malt liquor, it clocked in at 11.5% and qualified as a 'sparkling barely wine'. One would treat it with respect or suffer.
Aparently it's similar to the Russian pelmeni and the Ukrainian varenyky and are not to be confused with pirozhk. And all three are in the same meat bread family that bieroch belong too
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

All this talk of ethnic food reminds me of the Veggietales' 8 Polish foods of Christmas
:mrgreen:
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

jwhouk wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:She's friends with the hot ones, too. ;)
And the short ones, and the brainy ones, and the cute ones, and the...
Even the ones with chicken pox?... sorry but i fail to see how a hot dog has anything to do with this?! :P
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

scantrontb wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:She's friends with the hot ones, too. ;)
And the short ones, and the brainy ones, and the cute ones, and the...
Even the ones with chicken pox?... sorry but i fail to see how a hot dog has anything to do with this?! :P
typically, it would be the response barometer...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Sgt. Howard wrote:typically, it would be the response barometer...
um... Huh?? i was making an Armour hot dog joke but your response kinda threw me for a loop... no clue what you're talking about...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

scantrontb wrote:
um... Huh?? i was making an Armour hot dog joke but your response kinda threw me for a loop... no clue what you're talking about...
and I was making an immature phallic reference... y'know, the best kind...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Gyrrakavian wrote: Aparently it's similar to the Russian pelmeni and the Ukrainian varenyky and are not to be confused with pirozhk. And all three are in the same meat bread family that bieroch belong too
Which have certain fundamental similarities to pot stickers, dim sum, pasties, burritos, calzones, and pies. Among other things.
Last edited by Warrl on Thu May 21, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
scantrontb wrote:
and I was making an immature phallic reference... y'know, the best kind...

um... yeah, STILL no clue dude, sorry...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

On a more mature subject... I have our thread RTG, just waiting for rollout.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Well, it is now official: Bud is cool.
DilyV wrote:Knows all the cool paras? Hell, she's related to most of them now!!!

Talk about Shock and Awe... The other para kids are in Awe of Atsali knowing all the cool Paras... The Shock comes when she lets it out that he's related to them... Aunt Monica, Aunt Bud, Aunt Jin, Gramma Lily... You're going to need a case of selling salts to brig them all around after that revelation.
And then Atsali can fret about being accepted into the group not because of who she is, but only because of who she knows!
Dave wrote:I can't recall it being stated that Mayahuel is actually, physically related to Monica. Considering how long ago Mayahuel lived (and died, and became a golem) any such ancestral relationship would almost certainly have been so completely "diluted" through hundreds of generations of descent that it wouldn't be significant, let alone particularly meaningful.
There hasn't been anything said in comic that I interpreted as Mayahuel and Monica being related, just a fake relation stated by Mayahuel to make Monica think that they were. Given that there would have been something like 600 generations having come and gone since Mayahuel was a human, then it's likely that a good portion of the world's population could be descended from her. . .if Jin has had children, or if Mayahuel has had children other than Jin. But I've yet to see any sign that there has been anybody else in their family other than Mayahuel, Jin, and whomever Jin's father was.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

scantrontb wrote:

The ORIGIONAL referance to this thread was how Atsali is friends with the "cool" paras... then it went to the 'hot' paras... then my mind went directly to the gutter with the idea that the relativity of hotness is typically measured with an erecto-meter, hence referencing the hot dog, commonly called a 'weiner'... and with that, the joke can be properly buried as we have chased it from cover, mortally wounded it and sang while it was in it's death throws...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

DinkyInky wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Four truckloads in route to confusion corner- dry salami, swiss and mushroom piroshki, roast beef, cheddar and onion piroshki, spinach, mushroom and onion piroshki, salmon and cream cheese piroshki, round loaves of peasant rye bread, several selections of cheese, 1998 Porto (three cases), 2011 Chateau La Tour de Bessan Bordeaux (Eighteen bottles), several cases of unassuming Californian Chablis, a keg of Iron Bitch Ale, a keg of Fat Tire, a keg of Bass and a keg of Brew-Ha-Ha Irish Stout.

... and bits and pieces of dog...
Hey Sarge, what's a piroshki? Not being funny, it's just...
Kapusta i kiełbasa, ziemniaki i ser, grzyby i ziemniaki, owoce pierogi rozumiem...but the only thing I managed to find with my google-fu was similar to what Americans consider a Kolach, and appetising it's not.

I'm half Polish and love the simple foods of the region to clarify my reason for asking.

OK- to simplify- make two pound of bread dough- traditionally rye, but whatever you prefer. Portion it out into 1/8 cup of dough parcels. Stuff with said ingrediants and seal. Bake at 350 until done. Enjoy!
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
scantrontb wrote:

The ORIGIONAL referance to this thread was how Atsali is friends with the "cool" paras... then it went to the 'hot' paras... then my mind went directly to the gutter with the idea that the relativity of hotness is typically measured with an erecto-meter, hence referencing the hot dog, commonly called a 'weiner'... and with that, the joke can be properly buried as we have chased it from cover, mortally wounded it and sang while it was in it's death throws...
And if you are competing in the 'cannot find a clue' Olympics, how about this... yes, just click it with your mouse... :roll:
very good at BBQs!! :D
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

illiad wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
scantrontb wrote:

And if you are competing in the 'cannot find a clue' Olympics, how about this... yes, just click it with your mouse... :roll:
very good at BBQs!! :D
My 17 y/o is still cringing from that image...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
illiad

Post by illiad »

HO HO!!! tell him it is all about growing up and celebrating your hot dog!! :)

and just so the girls don't feel left out, here is a good way to make 'smores' :) :) look closely at picture, it is shown with marshmallows attached! :mrgreen:

http://www.shop.roastmyweenie.com/Marsh ... RMW-01.htm
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And it says, on the photo, "Click to enlarge"... :roll:
I bet some people wish it was that easy... :lol: