Something Like That 2015-04-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Something Like That 2015-04-29

Post by shadowinthelight »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/something-like-that/

Now we know what happened with Horned Girl. And it's completely coloring Atsali's view of this. :(
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Re: Something Like That 2015-04-29

Post by Dave »

Yow. :shock:

This could definitely explain why Atsali was so resistant to seeing, hearing, being told, or realizing that Nadette was personally interested in her.

It wasn't cluelessness. It was traumatic armor-plating. :cry:

I'd offer a cookie to those who correctly predicted this detail, but under the circumstances I won't. The cookies would probably taste like ashes.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Nadette has struck a nerve. A deep, raw, and very painful wound has just been re-opened. Obviously Atsali wanted a friend, not a lover. Apparently the last time didn't work out very well and she has learned from the past. Perhaps not the right lesson, but a lesson nonetheless.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Aw, shit... This is gonna hurt... *heavy sigh* ... Now I'm hoping for an intervention from someone. Preferably Kath, she's probably the one who can help Atsali the most with what seems to be shaping up to be some sort of mental/emotional/psychological issue.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Thor

Post by Thor »

shadowinthelight wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/something-like-that/

Now we know what happened with Horned Girl. And it's completely coloring Atsali's view of this. :(
And we don't even know for sure that it was what happened with horned girl. That could just be Atsali's understanding of it. Horned girl might have had a lot more issues to deal with, of which non-reciprocated attraction might have only been a small piece. Most likely Atsali has been blaming herself for something that was not even remotely her fault.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Aw crap...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Teen suicides tend to have a cascading effect- even those not close to the victim are damaged. Thor very likely has it on the button- Atsali not reciprocating attention might have been a small part of a bigger pile of issues, but Atsali will not see it that way... she certainly sees herself as poison to any girl she wishes to befriend if they take a romantic shine to her...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Gavote

Post by Gavote »

That's a bit more than a relationship speedbump, that's a freaking anti tank mine she just hit!
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Dave wrote:Yow. :shock:

This could definitely explain why Atsali was so resistant to seeing, hearing, being told, or realizing that Nadette was personally interested in her.

It wasn't cluelessness. It was traumatic armor-plating. :cry:

I'd offer a cookie to those who correctly predicted this detail, but under the circumstances I won't. The cookies would probably taste like ashes.
No, not a happy feeling. This answers whether the issue was inside Atsali, or outside. Inside.

But, this is part of the healing process. And it's going to hurt. But, somethings have to hurt to heal right. A certain seer foresaw that this would lead to true happiness, and Atsali was not really happy with herself. She has to learn that it wasn't her fault. She has hidden herself from the world, as much as she could, because of what happened. Now, she needs to go through this, so that she doesn't feel that way, any more. But it will hurt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Aw crap...
Yeah, that kinda sums it up...
Sgt. Howard wrote:Teen suicides tend to have a cascading effect- even those not close to the victim are damaged. Thor very likely has it on the button- Atsali not reciprocating attention might have been a small part of a bigger pile of issues, but Atsali will not see it that way... she certainly sees herself as poison to any girl she wishes to befriend if they take a romantic shine to her...
And that adds a nasty double-whammy to what he's learned about her Siren powers.

To keep faith with her "I will not use Siren compulsion" pledge to herself, she has to hold herself at a distance, and wait for genuine, honest, un-forced feelings towards her to appear...

... and now it seems she feels urgently compelled to reject them when they appear in a close (female) friend, because they're too close to being a Death Omen.

Even if she wasn't truly or solely responsible for what happened to Horned Girl, she still seems to have a heavy case of survivor's guilt to deal with. I wonder whether the orphanage provided her (and the other kids) with any sort of theraputic or post-trauma support.

And this is probably why Nadette couldn't read Atsali's path clearly... why her vision was so clouded by something in Atsali's past. That something, was precisely the thing which would complicate Nadette's own relationship with Atsali.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Teen suicides tend to have a cascading effect- even those not close to the victim are damaged...
I had a guy kill himself in my high school. The effect was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. To give you a good baseline, my school was a loud, proud, boisterous and belligerent school. It seemed like half the funding went to the football team alone, and another 45% went to the other sports teams. The cafeteria was usually loud enough to rival a good rock concert, and it approached the loudness of space shuttle launches after some team won some game or another.
After the kid killed himself, the cafeteria was dead silent. I mean "pin drop" silent. For a week. People murmured and whispered for months. It took the rest of the school year and a summer for things to go back to normal.
All of the faculty (and, unofficially, a lot of the less affected students) were on high-alert for signs of a chain reaction of suicides.
I've never seen anything else cow an entire school of such loud students into utter silence for so long. I never even knew the kid, and I didn't talk during lunch for the Week of Silence.

My point is, a suicide is an incredibly powerful event, and seeing as Atsali not only knew the girl that offed herself, but feels that she is responsible AND was the one to find the body... She's gonna have some SERIOUS scarring.
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

NO- THIS emotional vomit is the FIRST STEP to HEALING!!! NOW it comes OUT IN THE OPEN instead of FESTERING deep inside and building the urge to die. Poor Nadette has no clue what is going on, but she will be savvy enough to point her in the right direction and get help

"You can't tell me that!" ... Nadette is going "Wha... what are you talking about?" - she will understand this is a wound that never healed.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Beer, pretzels and hardboiled eggs in confusion corner- drinks are on me. Atsali's 'zit' has 'popped'... and it's a humdinger!!
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I get the impression that a big part of Atsali's warped perception of reality just got shattered. She was maintaining some sort of illusion that made her feel better somehow, and losing it has caused her a lot of pain.

For some people, having an illusion broken can itself be a traumatic event.

Another, much more scary thought: usually crazy isn't contagious. But Atsali had a whole civilization of stark-raving-batshit-crazy pumped straight through her mind. What if some of all that insanity rubbed off onto her? Her poor brain was flooded with not just your run-of-the-mill kind of crazy, but fermented, evil crazy.

Perhaps she did get counseling and was fine after Hung Girl, but then she had that whole civilization's worth of fermented-evil craziness forced through her skull, maybe that caused her to re-develop old psychoses... Or it could have caused her to develop new ones about events she wasn't originally damaged by.
I'm too much!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
NO- THIS emotional vomit is the FIRST STEP to HEALING!!! NOW it comes OUT IN THE OPEN instead of FESTERING deep inside and building the urge to die. Poor Nadette has no clue what is going on, but she will be savvy enough to point her in the right direction and get help

"You can't tell me that!" ... Nadette is going "Wha... what are you talking about?" - she will understand this is a wound that never healed.
I kinda had the feeling that this was the case... Atsali seemed really guilty after the anti matter incident... I don't think Nadette was turned down by Atsali directly, but was hurt because she knew that Lily would tell Kath and that would put the kybosh on her plans. Nadette was very hurt by it... here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/more-complicated-2/

Then Atsali was pretty much told by Kath that Nadette had a crush on her... here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-boy-calling/

Pickle reminds Atsali about the horned girl: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/worried/

And it is obvious here that Atsali knew how she'd hurt Nadette... and how she might be feeling because of it: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/promise/

It's all there if you put two and two together. Dave had it right... this was some serious emotional Armor Plating... Denial of sorts that caused her to go completely oblivious to other's feelings. Atsali need serious help to get her through this... Maybe Aunt Monica can help...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Thor

Post by Thor »

GlytchMeister wrote:Perhaps she did get counseling and was fine after Hung Girl
Not really likely. From all we've heard, the paranormal orphans were mostly just shuffled out of view until Brandi started working to change things, and that was very very recent. I mean, the orphan kids were only allowed out to go to the library once a month, fer crap's sake. I'm sure that in those bad time "counseling" consisted of someone putting their hand on your shoulder and telling you to "buck up".
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Crazy IS contagious, especially the crazy that leads to suicide. When a popular celebrity commits suicide it has a ripple effect on people who were just hanging by a thread and who admired the celebrity for whatever reason. The hypothesis is for many the suicide "gives permission" for their suicide, for others it is "if [$CELEBRITY] can't make it what hope do I have?" :x
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

GlytchMeister wrote:I get the impression that a big part of Atsali's warped perception of reality just got shattered. She was maintaining some sort of illusion that made her feel better somehow, and losing it has caused her a lot of pain.

For some people, having an illusion broken can itself be a traumatic event.

Another, much more scary thought: usually crazy isn't contagious. But Atsali had a whole civilization of stark-raving-batshit-crazy pumped straight through her mind. What if some of all that insanity rubbed off onto her? Her poor brain was flooded with not just your run-of-the-mill kind of crazy, but fermented, evil crazy.

Perhaps she did get counseling and was fine after Hung Girl, but then she had that whole civilization's worth of fermented-evil craziness forced through her skull, maybe that caused her to re-develop old psychoses... Or it could have caused her to develop new ones about events she wasn't originally damaged by.
I am betting that the brain flooding is not a problem here but something in her mind resisted any counseling she may have gotten, especially if no one else knew about her connection to the deceased. You cannot council someone about a bad thought if you do not know it is in there.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Thor wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I'm sure that in those bad time "counseling" consisted of someone putting their hand on your shoulder and telling you to "buck up".
Mr. Meadows doesn't strike me as that sort... but he does seem to be one of the ordinary caretakers with however-many kids to take care of, not able to devote a large amount of time to one or two of them, and probably not trained in counseling.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Called it.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin