Going To Worry 2015-03-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
kingklash

Re: Going To Worry 2015-03-19

Post by kingklash »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
I love the end of that one.
"I regret nothing!"
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Dave wrote:We've already seen, and Nadette clearly understands, that people can easily misinterpret or not fully understand her Seeings. Atsali dating Jacob will lead to her true happiness... Atsali concluded that this means she'll be happy with him, but Nadette knows otherwise.

Perhaps the same sort of incompleteness applies to whatever Seeings she has of herself... she sees the distance (the eventual outcomes) but not necessarily everything between here and there, and misinterprets some of thst fragmentary Vision?
Or it may be she knew full well the meaning of what she saw of the future but thought, with the right approach, she still might be able to change it. Teens often think THEY will be the exception. All the warnings they get from others won't apply to them. The optimism of youth and all that. And sometimes it actually works out for some teens, but it usually doesn't. In this case a modification of an old saw might be in order; Those who fail to learn from the future are doomed to be broken by it.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AmriloJim wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:Looks like Nadette's so despondent she didn't even bother forming breasts.
In the human form that the girls chose at the mall, both were rather flat-chested until 'Sali commented "I guess I'll still be the booby one of our group." That's when Berdine said, "Hold on. I'll give myself some pert little ones that bounce around in a push-up bra. Cool?"

Glad to see Nadette get some support and that Berdine sets the problems in their proper place.
I guess for Wapsi Square those wouldd be "little". Considering the two main outliers anyways.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

kingklash wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
I love the end of that one.
"I regret nothing!"
Does anybody know the story behind that GIF? I'm curious as to why that European badger ran the suicide backflip. I know badgers don't have the best eyesight, but surely it should have seen that.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I like to think that being a seer is like a person that reads the final chapter in a book. Yes they know how the story ends and can make some excellent guesses on how the story goes but they dont know the twists and turns. They don't know the tiny thing that causes a future to become the future.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Gyrrakavian wrote: Does anybody know the story behind that GIF? I'm curious as to why that European badger ran the suicide backflip. I know badgers don't have the best eyesight, but surely it should have seen that.
This youtube video.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
sheik

Post by sheik »

Much has been said about how Nadette should have seen it coming.
I think she did.
I also think she's stubborn, and had to hit the brick wall just to prove to herself it was real.
Some people are like that.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Does anybody know the story behind that GIF? I'm curious as to why that European badger ran the suicide backflip. I know badgers don't have the best eyesight, but surely it should have seen that.
Apparently, badgers have rather poor eyesight - they're mostly nocturnal and depend more on scent and hearing while they hunt.

I'd guess that the badger didn't know that there was a human present (the human kept quiet and the wind didn't carry his/her scent towards the badger) until the badger got very close. At that point, it's "Yikes! Man-smell! Run for it, Bob!" and a quick fear-filled dash towards Anyplace But Here.

I'm not sure how much depth perception their vision gives them - the eyes seem close enough together for decent binocular vision but they might not be able to use it much. It's possible that from so low a height above ground, it might not have been possible to see the edge of the cliff through the low clutter (shrubs) until the badger was very close to it... at which point, reaction time and momentum would have decided to have their little bit of fun.

It's also possible that the badger was on mushrooms at the time, and was scared by a snake.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote: Apparently, badgers have rather poor eyesight - they're mostly nocturnal and depend more on scent and hearing while they hunt.
I'm not sure how much depth perception their vision gives them - the eyes seem close enough together for decent binocular vision but they might not be able to use it much.
...Hey, now. Just because I wear glasses and work third shift...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Thor wrote:I'm also kinda surprised that the ursamorphs stay in their school forms when at home. I know that if I had had to wear a school uniform of any sort, I would have been back into something comfortable the moment I got home.
You're assuming that the school uniforms, as emulated by the ursamorphs, are not comfortable.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:Atsali dating Jacob will lead to her true happiness... Atsali concluded that this means she'll be happy with him, but Nadette knows otherwise.
I don't know whether or not Atsali is aware of that particular bit of seer-work. We know that Nadette told Randi about it, but as far as Atsali knows she's just flying blind about the whole thing, hoping that she will find happiness somehow somewhere somewhen. Atsali might not have any assurances, false or otherwise.
Warrl wrote:
Thor wrote:I'm also kinda surprised that the ursamorphs stay in their school forms when at home. I know that if I had had to wear a school uniform of any sort, I would have been back into something comfortable the moment I got home.
You're assuming that the school uniforms, as emulated by the ursamorphs, are not comfortable.
Could also just be habit. One of the goals of the school seems to be to teach the kids how to get by among humans in human society, so getting the students to habitually go around all human-like would make sense.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:...Hey, now. Just because I wear glasses and work third shift...
Terribly sorry, old chap. I didn't mean to sound as if I were badgering you.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
(Waits to see if he gets the joke)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:Berdine might go have a talk with Sali about being thick as a brick but that would be it.
Quite a long-playing talk it will be. "Get a clue, Atsali! Ask not for whom the belle Tulls; she Tulls for thee!"
Shouldn't that be trolls, not tulls? She was trying to catch Sali after all Jethro.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Dave wrote: It's also possible that the badger was on mushrooms at the time, and was scared by a snake.
A snake! A snake! Aoooooooooo, it's a snaaake!

As to Atsali and Jacob, I don't believe Atsali is thinking long term happiness at all where Jacob is concerned. She just thinks he is cute and wants to date him. Typical HS dating scene. If she follows pattern, she will date many in the coming years, as will Jacob. This thing about Nadette not seeing Atsali's long term happiness not being with Jacob is really a trivial point in the ongoing scheme of things. A passing HS crush. Jacob may benefit the most from it as it will likely draw him out of his shell and into the world of girls.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

KnightDelight wrote: As to Atsali and Jacob, I don't believe Atsali is thinking long term happiness at all where Jacob is concerned. She just thinks he is cute and wants to date him. Typical HS dating scene. If she follows pattern, she will date many in the coming years, as will Jacob. This thing about Nadette not seeing Atsali's long term happiness not being with Jacob is really a trivial point in the ongoing scheme of things. A passing HS crush. Jacob may benefit the most from it as it will likely draw him out of his shell and into the world of girls.
...Or perhaps it will draw Atsali out of her shell - a shell, perhaps, she had forgotten that she was in?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:
You can't just weasel out of this one, Dave.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No pun was intended by Dave on that one, actually.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:No pun was intended by Dave on that one, actually.
Actually, I certainly was punning! It seemed like a good opportunity for a double entendre, and I hate to see those go to waste.

I will admit that I missed your own joke (unless you were likening your noctournal nature and vision to those of a badger?)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:No pun was intended by Dave on that one, actually.
Actually, I certainly was punning! It seemed like a good opportunity for a double entendre, and I hate to see those go to waste.

I will admit that I missed your own joke (unless you were likening your noctournal nature and vision to those of a badger?)
(Hums "On Wisconsin")