Get Out of the Way - 2015-02-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: Get Out of the Way - 2015-02-20

Post by zachariah »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
zachariah wrote:There was a timer set for how long to stay is the stasis field. Part of the Nu Gui plan was informing them it would take almost 1000 years for the earth to recover.
Umm - wasn't the disaster that the World Grid triggered the Kikai Caldera, which was like 6,300 years ago?
It was but the time Brandi had said they were supposed to stay sheltered in was long enough to let the earth recover. In 2013-05-23-sweet-dreams she talked about waiting for 1000 years and checking again.

Now the people who used the stasis chamber did not go into the gates to be saved. So they had their own plan on how long to be in Stasis if the world grid went wrong. So a signal to call for help is very possible. It was also possible for the system to be running out of power. Finally the 1000 years was an example of forward thinking if you're planning to go into a field where time stops completely for you.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

zachariah wrote: Now the people who used the stasis chamber did not go into the gates to be saved. So they had their own plan on how long to be in Stasis if the world grid went wrong. So a signal to call for help is very possible. It was also possible for the system to be running out of power. Finally the 1000 years was an example of forward thinking if you're planning to go into a field where time stops completely for you.
I think that the Chess Master may have messed with the controls when she could not destroy the chamber and the self destruct may have set off the rescue beacon.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Looking at Atsali's choice of words only strengthens my feeling that we are dealing with a pre programed command set here. She said "she has to be dead" and not she has to die. It makes me think she has a program that needs all of them to be dead as an absolute and she needs a certain 'Care-Bear' to shut down the autopilot for good. (Deposits a set of vintage care bears from my cousins house into the PunJar..)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Mark N wrote:Looking at Atsali's choice of words only strengthens my feeling that we are dealing with a pre programed command set here. She said "she has to be dead" and not she has to die. It makes me think she has a program that needs all of them to be dead as an absolute and she needs a certain 'Care-Bear' to shut down the autopilot for good. (Deposits a set of vintage care bears from my cousins house into the PunJar..)
With a single blow able to disrupt a "gods" ability to reintegrate its gonna take more than a "Care-Bear stare" to stop her.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

oldmanmickey wrote: With a single blow able to disrupt a "gods" ability to reintegrate its gonna take more than a "Care-Bear stare" to stop her.
The stare was part of the "G" rated adventures that the world was open to. This calls for the adult version of the show and the nuclear option of the Care Bear Arsenal 'The Snuggly Love Bomb'. :twisted:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Maybe Nadette will be able to diffuse the situation with some puppy eyes...
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Mark N wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote: With a single blow able to disrupt a "gods" ability to reintegrate its gonna take more than a "Care-Bear stare" to stop her.
The stare was part of the "G" rated adventures that the world was open to. This calls for the adult version of the show and the nuclear option of the Care Bear Arsenal 'The Snuggly Love Bomb'. :twisted:
and here i thought i was the only dirty old man here.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

oldmanmickey wrote:
Mark N wrote:
and here i thought i was the only dirty old man here.
... AHEM... not by a long shot...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Thor wrote:"SNARLE"?

Must be the French version of snarl. :D

Oh, and LINK
Learn enough language pronunciation keys and you'll start adding extraneous letters, too.
Also, derping out and reading words wrong. "Mallet" being pronounced as "mallé", for example.

Also, it's hell on reading things when you're tired. Plus, it messes with that thing where your brain can still read a word regardless of just how jumbled the letters are provided that the first and last letters are in their correct placement.

Edit: OH!!!! Or it could be a half pronounced vowel! Thus making it more of an onomatopoeia! I forget the technical term, but they pop up in several transliterations of various Native American languages.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Learn enough language pronunciation keys and you'll start adding extraneous letters, too.
Also, derping out and reading words wrong. "Mallet" being pronounced as "mallé", for example.
That can be a problem even in the English language, although there one tends to start deleting letters.
Edit: OH!!!! Or it could be a half pronounced vowel! Thus making it more of an onomatopoeia! I forget the technical term, but they pop up in several transliterations of various Native American languages.
That makes sense... sort of a drawn-out gutteral vowel or moan on the exhaling end of a snarl.

Or possibly, Atsali has dug into her transplanted Ethetian memories, and recognizes the face of Abetha Throatwarbler-Mangrove Snarle, a particularly obnoxious Ethetian reality-TV personality who everybody loved to hate?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Now you have stumbled into my world-
Dave wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Learn enough language pronunciation keys and you'll start adding extraneous letters, too.
That can be a problem even in the English language, although there one tends to start deleting letters.
That makes sense... sort of a drawn-out gutteral vowel or moan on the exhaling end of a snarl.

Or possibly, Atsali has dug into her transplanted Ethetian memories, and recognizes the face of Abetha Throatwarbler-Mangrove Snarle, a particularly obnoxious Ethetian reality-TV personality who everybody loved to hate?
English as a language did not exist prior to the Battle of Hastings in 1066. William the Bastard (Norman- Dane blood settled in France and speaking French) conquered Alfred King of Brittany (Saxon speaking Saxon German and ruling Britons) thus becoming William the Conqueror. Over a few centuries, an odd language developed between these two societies- we are speaking the result. French and German spelling, grammar and syntax mashed together to create the verbal equivalent of schizophrenia. That the English treat it with such cavalier fashion is hardly surprising... yet they cringe at what we do to it and try to speak of "proper English"... by definition, there is no such thing and ranks right up there with "jumbo shrimp", "Military Intelligence" and "Honorable Senator".

English is the only language;
1) that has spelling competitions, or where they even seem a challenge
2) that has one word for the critter and another for the meat thereof (the word for the critter is kraut, the word for the meat is frog)
3) that does NOT assign sex to nouns
4) that uses inconsistent conjugation of verbs
5) in the English/European world that was DEVOID of written literature as late as the 5th century
6) that the overwhelming majority of Americans speak or undersand
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
ValiantAngel

Post by ValiantAngel »

I do not think that it is Astali that is the doing of the talking. I think she is the channeling of someone else is is doing of the talking.

Someone angry. :shock:
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Sgt. Howard wrote:English as a language did not exist prior to the Battle of Hastings in 1066.
Incorrect. Old English goes back to the middle of the 5th century as a language identifiably distinct from its close relatives on the continent.
William the Bastard (Norman- Dane blood settled in France and speaking French) conquered Alfred King of Brittany (Saxon speaking Saxon German and ruling Britons)
The King of Brittany would presumably rule in Brittany. Which is the northwestern part of modern France - not England. The last Alfred to have ruled England prior to the Norman Conquest, died in 899.

As it happens, a ruler of Brittany did die in 1066. His name, though, was Conan, and his title was Duke. He was succeeded by his little sister Hawise who ruled until 1072, jointly with her husband Hoel who continued on as regent for their son Alan.

As for England and the Norman Conquest, the fight was to see who would succeed King Edward the Confessor after his death in January 1066. Edward was born in England and spent his childhood there; he would certainly have spoken English, although probably also Norman French as that was his mother's native language. As he had no children, there were several competing claimants to the throne.

The first to take the throne was Harold Godwinson, Earl of Wessex, who had been born and raised speaking English. He ruled from January through October 1066, in that time defeating and killing another claimant: Harald Haradra the king of Norway. However, with his forces weakened from that battle, he could not also stand off the Normans, and in October he fell to a Norman arrow and William of Normandy took the throne. After that there was just a bit of clean-up.
English is the only language;
3) that does NOT assign sex to nouns
You mean the only one aside from...
* the approximately 2/3 of languages that have no grammatical gender at all
* languages where the male and female genders have merged: Danish, and most dialects of Dutch, Norwegian, and Swedish
* languages with non-sex-related genders: Basque, Elamite, Hittite, and several Native American language families

(By the way, if you take a close look at our third-person pronouns - pretty much the only place were English retains grammatical gender - we have FOUR. Male, female, neutral, and non-person. Yes, the difference between "he or she" and "it", or between "them" and "those", is just as much a gender difference as the difference between "he" and "she".)
4) that uses inconsistent conjugation of verbs
Gee, I remember memorizing irregular verbs in both French and Spanish. I must have been confused.
5) in the English/European world that was DEVOID of written literature as late as the 5th century
How odd that there would be no literature in a language before that language existed.

However, there *could not* have been any literature in Old French prior to the 5th century, because the Franks (who were Germanic) had not arrived in France (where they would absorb Vulgar Latin and merge it with their Old Frankish tongue to produce Old French). In fact the oldest verified documents written in Old French are from the 8th Century.
6) that the overwhelming majority of Americans speak or undersand
A true but over-emphasized point. The average American speaks the dominant language of a much larger area around his/her home than most Europeans do.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Thank you, Warrl. Spot on, except for ...
Warrl wrote:(By the way, if you take a close look at our third-person pronouns - pretty much the only place were English retains grammatical gender - we have FOUR. Male, female, neutral, and non-person. Yes, the difference between "he or she" and "it", or between "them" and "those", is just as much a gender difference as the difference between "he" and "she".)
... "them" vs "those"? That's not a distinction of gender; at least not in any English I learned.

Way I learned it, "those", "these", "that", "this" are demonstrative pronouns. They have a slightly different function, but can be used of the same entities as the personal pronouns.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
illiad

Post by illiad »

Hey i may not be great in Spanish, Portuguese, German, French and some others, but I do know you have to end a noun with an A or O to say its male or female... French has strange rule whether a part belonging to a man is actually classed as a female noun, etc...

So where is this in modern English? I do know that 'ancient English' is totally different... and before that, it is more like Celtic...

I will bet most languages have people 'bastardising' it... a Portuguese friend of mine once kept asking me ' wanna play sock?? '...

take the phonetic word 'soccer' and remove the A on the end.... :) :) :D it is very common to do this in their slang.. :roll:

Oh, and Dave, I do believe 'Luxury Yacht' is a product of 'monty python' alone, to avoid lawsuits from the nobility, while still calling them a load of fewmet... :P :D

ya know how to google, right?????
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

illiad wrote:Hey i may not be great in Spanish, Portuguese, German, French and some others, but I do know you have to end a noun with an A or O to say its male or female... French has strange rule whether a part belonging to a man is actually classed as a female noun, etc...
Heh.

La Belle et La Bete - despite the feminine gender of "bete" the Beast is about as masculine as they come. (Even if the actor playing him wasn't.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sidhekin wrote:Thank you, Warrl. Spot on, except for ...
Warrl wrote:(By the way, if you take a close look at our third-person pronouns - pretty much the only place were English retains grammatical gender - we have FOUR. Male, female, neutral, and non-person. Yes, the difference between "he or she" and "it", or between "them" and "those", is just as much a gender difference as the difference between "he" and "she".)
... "them" vs "those"? That's not a distinction of gender; at least not in any English I learned.

Way I learned it, "those", "these", "that", "this" are demonstrative pronouns. They have a slightly different function, but can be used of the same entities as the personal pronouns.
I concur: "this" (singular) and "these" (plural) indicate one or more objects or persons that are close by speaker, regardless of grammatical gender. "That" (singular) and "those" (plural) indicate one or more objects or persons that are farther away from the speaker, regardless of grammatical gender.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

"English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."

A blog post linking to an animated video named "History of English" is fascinating just for the comments - one i particularly like says:
The linguist who told me that English lost gender due to Big Bill’s conquest spelled out that Germanic languages assign gender to objects almost exactly opposite to those assignments in French (la table, der Tisch, etc). Thus, while lords & churls might sort out whose word to use, for the articles they had to settle for basic grunting (“thuh“).
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

But, what of Atsali and the fair Nadette? I'm sure that illiteration is the farthest thing from their minds right now. Nadette is like, "Please listen..." and Atsali is like: "Get the fudge outta the way!"

And who is Stasie? What was she to the Ethetian society that she went into a stasis chamber and not a storage crystal?

For that matter, I'm still wondering how the six fourth babies that were put into one crystal (that eventually became Kath) missed being dumbed into the ocean with the rest of the babies... and how was she ejected from the crystal to be found as ONE baby when the Mapimi complex was found? That had to be an event triggered by sensors detecting someone in the complex. Why only that one crystal and not others?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

How odd that there would be no literature in a language before that language existed.

My error- I meant fifteenth century ("Canterbury Tales", to my understanding, is the earliest surviving work that is known) That what has been called "Old English" or "Proto English" is a mix of Celt and Saxon that would not be intelligible to us at all. And unless I am greatly in error, Alfred was depicted and named on the Bayeux Tapestry which commemorated the battle of Hastings.
My repertoire in foreign languages is limited to German and German Yiddish, so I will have to do research in other languages to confirm/deny.

... but that English is as legitimate as the results of Norman men-at-arms and Saxon barmaids... nolo contendre...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.