Not Gonna Bite 2015-01-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Gyrrakavian

Re: Not Gonna Bite 2015-01-15

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Thor wrote:So did we ever figure out if her wings pass through her shirts or tear through them? Or does she have a special flap in the back of her shirts, like the flap in the front of mens' underwear?

And where do they go when they are not out?

And how are they sometimes small and sometimes big?

And what's the deal with airplane food anyway?
Seems to vary in accordance with loss of concentration/surprise.

Quantumly entangled subspace?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Sidhekin wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:well as a Cambion Atsali would be an awesome fighter. As well as a maybe magic user like her possible cousin Merlin.
I think I've missed something rather important. When was it hinted/suggested that she may be related to Merlin?
In most myths, Merlin was the son of a demon of Hell (or even the Devil). Atsali is the daughter of an Incubus, and in most myths, Incubi are demons of Hell.

ETA: Was Merlin (in the sources, not on the internet) ever described as a Cambion?
Oh. Didn't know that part of the lore.

IDK. I don't remember it being mentioned in Gargoyles. Or The Sword in the Stone
Last edited by Gyrrakavian on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

zachariah wrote:If Tisillah is present the MIB IS involved with where they ended up.
Just because one member of the MiB is involved doesn't mean that the organisation itself is involved. Lily sure seemed confused by Atsali's running off, after all. Tsillah could be acting on her own initiative again here, making this even more of a teenage adventure thing.
KnightDelight wrote:OTOH, it could be Nadette ends up with Jacob and Atsali ends up with someone else yet to be introduced. Perhaps during this mini-adventure?
Well, Atsali and Tsillah have really hit it off so far. . .
Xiombarg

Post by Xiombarg »

Maybe I'm just a bit of a stickler for certain things, but the pic says:
...just an ego boost to see you might find me attractive.
And, at least to me, it should read something more like this:
...just an ego boost to see if you might find me attractive.
I have an edited version of the strip that I shopped myself, and it flows better, linguistically speaking...

Any one else notice this little two letter difference? Any one else want to see it? I don't want to step on any toes, or anything.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Xiombarg wrote:And, at least to me, it should read something more like this:
There's an implied "that", not an "if". Paraphrasing, "You find me attractive! Such an ego boost!"
Dave

Post by Dave »

Xiombarg wrote:Maybe I'm just a bit of a stickler for certain things, but the pic says:
...just an ego boost to see you might find me attractive.
And, at least to me, it should read something more like this:
I have an edited version of the strip that I shopped myself, and it flows better, linguistically speaking...

Any one else notice this little two letter difference? Any one else want to see it? I don't want to step on any toes, or anything.
I'd interpret her statement as
...just an ego boost for me to see that you might find me attractive.
In other words:
  • Nadette came in for a close encounter, and suggested "we'd be good together - whatcha think of that?"
  • Atsali's (involuntary) response was a showing-of-wings, a sign of arousal
  • Nadette sees this as evidence that Atsali does (or may) find her attractive
  • Nadette's ego is boosted thereby
Your rephrase "just an ego boost to see if you might find me attractive" would read better if it means "I, Nadette, am deliberately boosting your ego, to see if you're attracted to me", but I don't think that's what Nadette is saying. "Ego boost" refers to Nadette's ego being boosted, not Atsali's... I think.

(Darned... ninja'ed by AmriloJim. I should either be less verbose, or quicker on the draw.)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Well, nobody told Long Tall Atsali that Tsillah was supposed to be un-punchable.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Dave wrote:(Darned... ninja'ed by AmriloJim. I should either be less verbose, or quicker on the draw.)
To quote the old saw, "great minds think alike."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

As we've seen before, this is Tsillah's physical form. We know she's shadow, but when she takes physical form to interact with others or the world around her (Their Dignity, here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/their-dignity/ ), this is the form she takes. In THIS form, she is a physical entity and as such can be struck. I think Tsillah was unawares to the danger of Atsali's hair trigger temper and was caught off guard. Question is, who would Atsali feel the need to punch first and ask questions later? Annoyed much that you were interrupted, Atsali? Odd that Atsali is as quick to come back down and shed the fight markings as she was to gain them and punch.

Atsali: MY Beargirl!!! MINE!!!

Tsillah: Owie owie...

Atsali: Holy biscuits!!! Tsillah!!! Are you all right?

Nadette: *thinking* Oooooooh boy....

Judging from what we've seen about how easily Jacob can be brow beaten, I'm thinking Atsali would tired of him rather quickly...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AmriloJim wrote:
Dave wrote:(Darned... ninja'ed by AmriloJim. I should either be less verbose, or quicker on the draw.)
To quote the old saw, "great minds think alike."
Ah - that must be the scorekeeping that kingklash was referring to - the long-saw tally?
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Actually, Dave, the pun jar is tracking him for that one...
Long Tall Sally / Little Richard
Thor

Re: You Gonna Bite? 2015-01-15

Post by Thor »

DilyV wrote:Judging from what we've seen about how easily Jacob can be brow beaten, I'm thinking Atsali would tired of him rather quickly...
Why won't anyone here give the boy a chance? You are all so quick to judge the kid. C'mon, give him a break.
as363

Post by as363 »

Last time i remember seeing Tsallia was the scene where she had Monica draped over her left shoulder and she said C'mon ladies . Lets get Monica a shower and some clothes Sub-Titans need to maintain their dignity, after all.
Dave

Post by Dave »

as363 wrote:Last time i remember seeing Tsallia was the scene where she had Monica draped over her left shoulder and she said C'mon ladies . Lets get Monica a shower and some clothes Sub-Titans need to maintain their dignity, after all.
Somebody pointed out that Tsillah was seen more recently than that: she was around during the shopping expedition to the mall. This was well after the great sub-titan face-off. The ursamorphs were at the mall that day, as well... so they, Tsillah, and Atsali were all in one place at one time.

I don't recall seeing any direct interaction between the ursamorphs and Tsillah, though. I don't think we know for sure whether Nadette actually knows Tsillah, has just seen her at a distance, or has just heard of her.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Dave wrote:
as363 wrote:Last time i remember seeing Tsallia was the scene where she had Monica draped over her left shoulder and she said C'mon ladies . Lets get Monica a shower and some clothes Sub-Titans need to maintain their dignity, after all.
Somebody pointed out that Tsillah was seen more recently than that: she was around during the shopping expedition to the mall. This was well after the great sub-titan face-off. The ursamorphs were at the mall that day, as well... so they, Tsillah, and Atsali were all in one place at one time.

I don't recall seeing any direct interaction between the ursamorphs and Tsillah, though. I don't think we know for sure whether Nadette actually knows Tsillah, has just seen her at a distance, or has just heard of her.
How about the possibility that Nadette has seen this or part of this already and knew her from that? Given she is a seer her knowing someone does not necessarily have to mean she met them in the past.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Remember that Tsilla introduce end herself to Katheri e as "your MiB liaison" or words to that effect.

perhaps she is the go-to contact person forMiB regionally, national ally or even worldwide, so she might be known to all paranormals who are in the MiB "witness protection program".

Or should that be "witness pure mention program"?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Catawampus wrote:Well, Atsali and Tsillah have really hit it off so far. . .
and now we know why Nadette was trying to push Atsali's buttons... because she's foreseen Atsali hitting on Tsillah, she thought that maybe Atsali swings BOTH ways and was kinda impatient for her turn at bat instead of waiting till Jacob struck out :D
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I think we may be over-thinking this a bit:

- Darkness

- "Surprise!"

- Pop!

The shadow-lass materialized, Atsali punched her, Ipso facto...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:I think we may be over-thinking this a bit:

- Darkness

- "Surprise!"

- Pop!

The shadow-lass materialized, Atsali punched her, Ipso facto...
Indeed.

And equally simple (to work from your analysis):
- Nadette focuses heavily on Atsali
- Darkness
- "Surprise!" - Sudden light, hard to focus on what's happening
- Pop! - whoever was just there is no longer upright or in sight
- "Was that Tsillah!" - while still looking straight ahead, and therefore may possibly not be able to see much yet (having to adjust to light-dark-harsh light-return to earlier lighting, all within moments of each other)
She may know Tsillah, and not just of her. She may even have met her before. But this all happened so quick, she never got a good look, only heard her voice for a moment before Atsali clocked her. So she may be asking to confirm whether it was Tsillah whose voice she heard, since she may not have seen anything before it was over.
jwhouk

Re: You Gonna Bite? 2015-01-15

Post by jwhouk »

Thor wrote:
DilyV wrote:Judging from what we've seen about how easily Jacob can be brow beaten, I'm thinking Atsali would tired of him rather quickly...
Why won't anyone here give the boy a chance? You are all so quick to judge the kid. C'mon, give him a break.
Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes... ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin