Dare to trust 2014-12-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Dare to trust 2014-12-04

Post by lake_wrangler »

Link to the comic.

Awwww. How touching...
(And I'm not being sarcastic.)

I'd love to know what Calista is thinking, particularly in that first panel...

[Edit: link to comic added]
Last edited by lake_wrangler on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Re: Dare to trust 2014-12-04

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Awwwwwwwwww, Indeed. Nothing more to be said. ;)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

lake_wrangler wrote:I'd love to know what Calista is thinking, particularly in that first panel...
The Fae are a species. The Jaguar Girl is the only one of her kind.

Maybe just a touch of perspective on how alone she is not.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Is this one of them invisible comics?
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Thor wrote:Is this one of them invisible comics?
try thge go back two and hit "latest comic", or just wait a few for the interwebs to update.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Thor

Post by Thor »

scantrontb wrote:
try thge go back two and hit "latest comic", or just wait a few for the interwebs to update.
That did it.

Of course, this is why a link to the comic in the first post would REALLY help. :|
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I'd love to know what Calista is thinking, particularly in that first panel...
The Fae are a species. The Jaguar Girl is the only one of her kind.

Maybe just a touch of perspective on how alone she is not.
In two different ways at once, really. Calista isn't alone in the world, because she has a species... and she's not alone in her turmoil, because Monica is going through just about exactly the same sh*t that Calista is.

As some of Spider Robinson's characters have said: shared joy is increased, shared pain is lessened. Calista's pain just got a little bit less.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Thor wrote:
scantrontb wrote:
That did it.

Of course, this is why a link to the comic in the first post would REALLY help. :|
I agree. I may or may not have said so before, but it would indeed be useful. Not only for when it's first posted, in case you can't seem to see it yet, but also for convenience, when looking at older threads, to not have to scroll through the archive to reach whatever comic the thread is referring to.

But that idea has not been retained, yet.
Thor

Post by Thor »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Thor wrote:Of course, this is why a link to the comic in the first post would REALLY help. :|
I agree. I may or may not have said so before, but it would indeed be useful. Not only for when it's first posted, in case you can't seem to see it yet, but also for convenience, when looking at older threads, to not have to scroll through the archive to reach whatever comic the thread is referring to.

Since this is your thread, you could show 'em all how it's done... :D
illiad

Post by illiad »

Thor wrote:
scantrontb wrote:
That did it.

Well I'm quite sure its linked to various ads... I have FF esr 24 with adblock (the one that allows *good* ads through :) ) and have never had 'wrong comic' issues... :P :)
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

illiad wrote:Well I'm quite sure its linked to various ads... I have FF esr 24 with adblock (the one that allows *good* ads through :) ) and have never had 'wrong comic' issues... :P :)
It's not, believe me.

It's load balancing with server side caching or cloud services. It's happened a whole lot more often since cloud services became more common, but there were sites that had such problems before. Simultaneous instances of the same request may get different answers, depending on which physical unit actually handles the request.

(It also happens with "transparent" caching at the ISP, with caching proxies, or even with client side caching, but those are usually better configured these days, and besides, people affected have learned to bypass them when they're troublesome. Aside from client side caching (easily bypassed with force reload in modern browsers), I don't remember the last time I saw one of these.)

Ads have nothing to do with it. You just never (that you know of) got a response from a unit that was not updated with the latest page. Either you're just not rushing to hit the latest comic, or you've just lucked out. :)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
illiad

Post by illiad »

well there we have it, *patience* is a virtue... :D
you know you are desperate, when you set your alarm to wake you *before* the comic updates...(about 4AM UK time??... ) :roll: :roll: :roll: :D

there have been a few articles about why the 'new, fast' internet is actually lower throughput than 10 years ago... it has a lot to do with various parts in the web page like 'syndication' and other stuff like JS that can slow down and crash.. Thankfully wapsi is not one of those overloaded websites that load a hundred fancy bits, before actually loading the site! >:(
the next biggest culprit is toolbars - the google one has been seen by me, to be really bad, slowing pages to a crawl..
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:the next biggest culprit is toolbars - the google one has been seen by me, to be really bad, slowing pages to a crawl..
:shock: :shock: :shock:
That's one toolbar-loaded browser!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Thor wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Thor wrote:Of course, this is why a link to the comic in the first post would REALLY help. :|

Since this is your thread, you could show 'em all how it's done... :D
I know, but the subject had been discussed quite some time ago, and at the time, it had been decided to not include such links. Not being a moderator, or anyone with any kind of authority, I merely applied the agreed-upon convention, which include the name for the thread and lack of a link back to the comic. Should the discussion be brought about again, and the "policy" changed, I would be glad to include links to the comic in future threads.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Cricket still doesn't understand you know. She just follows good old female rule number 4. When someone looks sad and you know them well enough, give em a hug. Men rule number 4 is a gentle, or not so gentle, punch to the arm.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
illiad

Post by illiad »

lake_wrangler wrote:I know, but the subject had been discussed quite some time ago, and at the time, it had been decided to not include such links. Not being a moderator, or anyone with any kind of authority, I merely applied the agreed-upon convention, which include the name for the thread and lack of a link back to the comic. Should the discussion be brought about again, and the "policy" changed, I would be glad to include links to the comic in future threads.
Of course, murphy's law being what it is, that link may well NOT work properly when you need it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by illiad on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I know, but the subject had been discussed quite some time ago, and at the time, it had been decided to not include such links. Not being a moderator, or anyone with any kind of authority, I merely applied the agreed-upon convention, which include the name for the thread and lack of a link back to the comic. Should the discussion be brought about again, and the "policy" changed, I would be glad to include links to the comic in future threads.
Of course, murphy's law being what it is, that link may well NOT work properly when you need it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elsewhere, perhaps, but Paul has been consistent with the urls being based on the comic title, and that's probably not going to change any time soon.

On more than one occasion, hitting F5, or going back and forward again, would not bring up the new comic. However, if I typed in the URL based on the name of the thread, the comic would show up (except in cases where that title had been used before, and you had to add a "-2" to the end of the URL...)
illiad

Post by illiad »

I have a better Idea to solve those problems... :P ;) 8-)

Dear moderator, when setting up the new page, Put this up instead (with the thread title!!! :lol: ), for about 10 mins!!
then when all the old pages have been cleared out of the way, replace it with the current comic... :P

lake wrangler.. :)
instead of chasing f5 /your tail, why not just go make a brew, listen to some music, relax... by which time, the *proper* page will be up... :)
there's an app for that, FF speeddial will refresh a page every minute for you... :)
Last edited by illiad on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

And we have the first breakthrough that gets them started on the path to both of them healing.

Phix is a clever one indeed. She knew that they were what each other needed.
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

Behold the healing power of hugs!

Hugs are wonderful.