Common Experiences 2014-12-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Common Experiences 2014-12-02

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Bonding moment!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Re: Common Experiences 2014-12-02

Post by oldmanmickey »

i can not help it the first thing i thought of was i would love to be in the middle.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

...aaaaaaand Cricket gets her first lesson in 'the world doesn't revolve around you...'

and also that your actions have consequences...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Another demonstration that our little Cricket is not just magical, but strong, too. That looked like it might have hurt a bit.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

oldmanmickey wrote:i can not help it the first thing i thought of was i would love to be in the middle.
Go ahead, you'll die happy. Well, the happiness part may not be certain but the death would be.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Radio365

Post by Radio365 »

Since when has this comic gotten a trigger warning?

Rape has been discussed in FAR more detail than a passing mention before and not gotten a warning before.
Browsing Tumblr are we Mr. Wapsi?
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Radio365 wrote:Since when has this comic gotten a trigger warning?

Rape has been discussed in FAR more detail than a passing mention before and not gotten a warning before.
1) I think there was a warning during the Tar incident.

2) What does tumblr have to do with being considerate of your readers?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Deuce wrote:
Radio365 wrote:Since when has this comic gotten a trigger warning?

1) I think there was a warning during the Tar incident.
Correct... and, in fact, there wasn't just a trigger warning... there were trigger warnings every day for more than a week. 2013: September 12, 13, 16, 23, 24, 25, 26, and 27.
2) What does tumblr have to do with being considerate of your readers?
Exactly.

May I say, Radio365, that I find your attitude just a trifle disturbing. If Paul is, perhaps, going to be having Monica discuss her rape in more graphic terms during the next few days, and wants to give his readers fair warning... then why would you find it necessary to challenge his discretion and courtesy in this way? He knows the script he's writing, we do not.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:
Deuce wrote:2) What does tumblr have to do with being considerate of your readers?
Exactly.

May I say, Radio365, that I find your attitude just a trifle disturbing. If Paul is, perhaps, going to be having Monica discuss her rape in more graphic terms during the next few days, and wants to give his readers fair warning... then why would you find it necessary to challenge his discretion and courtesy in this way? He knows the script he's writing, we do not.
I have zero problem with Paul putting up the warnings because he is bringing up quite a touchy subject. That said, Tumblr does have a reputation for being the home to a number people who many would consider guilty of taking political correctness to absurd extremes. Unfortunately some people lack the ability to judge the nuance between genuine concern and oversensitivity.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I remember days past where people discussed any of a multitude of touchy subjects and no one lost their minds over it. Now days you can't fart without someone having a conniption fit over it. I applaud Paul for the warnings to avoid having people who have issues with the subject being caught unawares. It's called consideration of others. I also applaud Paul for not being afraid to take on these subjects. Half the trouble anymore is that everyone wants to dance around the subject and no real dialog is ever even attempted.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

I think the only time I personally was very happy for a warning... a BIG one at that. Like you think these 'trigger warnings' for the rape discussions take you out of the comic? Go back, way back to before Monica was known as anything remotely supernatural.

God even with the warning seeing Phix just rake her face right off made me a bit sick. It's different when it's a character you'd grown connected to rather than a throwaway in a horror movie!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Well, Cricket did warn that she's an emotional, non-tough dork. . .
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Bonding moment!
Looks as though Monica is being squished enough for strong nuclear force bonds to be formed.
Opus the Poet wrote:Another demonstration that our little Cricket is not just magical, but strong, too. That looked like it might have hurt a bit.
Perhaps somebody ought to arrange a hug-off between Cricket and Euryale, for comparison. Or perhaps it's best that it isn't done, for the safety of the world.
Dave wrote:Correct... and, in fact, there wasn't just a trigger warning... there were trigger warnings every day for more than a week. 2013: September 12, 13, 16, 23, 24, 25, 26, and 27.
The first time was the content warning for the incident when Monica was defaced by Phix. And that was back almost two years ago.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

DilyV wrote:I remember days past where people discussed any of a multitude of touchy subjects and no one lost their minds over it. Now days you can't fart without someone having a conniption fit over it. I applaud Paul for the warnings to avoid having people who have issues with the subject being caught unawares. It's called consideration of others. I also applaud Paul for not being afraid to take on these subjects. Half the trouble anymore is that everyone wants to dance around the subject and no real dialog is ever even attempted.
Well said!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

DilyV wrote:I remember days past where people discussed any of a multitude of touchy subjects and no one lost their minds over it. Now days you can't fart without someone having a conniption fit over it. I applaud Paul for the warnings to avoid having people who have issues with the subject being caught unawares. It's called consideration of others. I also applaud Paul for not being afraid to take on these subjects. Half the trouble anymore is that everyone wants to dance around the subject and no real dialog is ever even attempted.
OMG! you TALKED about somebody... um, you know... engaging in ... flatulence... I'M OFFENDED....

(not really, i just HAD to go there...) :D
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

You know Cricket is kinda slow. I suspect she jumped to the conclusion that Monica did something like she did to the people she struck out at. Cricket's words "I don't understand." are truly meant. Use simpler terms Monica because right now Cricket appears to think you do the same things she did and you didn't. Yes Monica hurt people emotionally but she did not try to ruin them. Monica still has some explaining to do or the misunderstanding will go on, and on, and on, and on. Cricket is real good at jumping to conclusions and running away from them.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ok - we've know about the cheerleader incident -- when/where was the Shadow Monica incident?

Perhaps Cricket was taking out her anger privately after she met M and staged a show for her own vengeance / sublimation?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Reani

Post by Reani »

Re: trigger warnings in media

They've always been a thing, just not called trigger warnings. You know those messages you get before really graphic tv shows or even sometimes news that are like (paraphrasing) "the following may contain disturbing imagery, viewer discretion is advised"? What do you think THOSE are? Warnings that well, what's coming may be upsetting and you should brace yourself and/or avoid it.

If anything trigger warnings are nice because they tend to tell you what's being covered rather than just "graphic imagery" or "sensitive topics" because for example, I may choose to avoid extreme gore (I admit wapsi has never really truly upset me but there's been cringey moments) but be okay with rape discussions, or vise versa.

And yes, the stuff with the Tar definitely had warnings before it, and you had to scroll down. I know because I recently re-read it.

No one is saying these things can't and shouldn't be discussed or even shown, but that you should let people know what's coming because some are more easily upset than others and at the end of the day it's not worth ruining someone's day over a webcomic.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Thank you Paul for posting the warning.

It helps to prepare mentally. I've gotten better at compartmentalising in recent years, but warnings help immensely to prepare.

The story you tell is incredible, and the fact you listen to the important bits of your fanbase, like on the subject of warnings for NSFW and trigger pages, is another reason I keep coming back to read.

Again, thank you.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Catawampus wrote:
Perhaps somebody ought to arrange a hug-off between Cricket and Euryale, for comparison. Or perhaps it's best that it isn't done, for the safety of the world.
Let those two hug each other, and I bet that anything placed between them would turn to diamonds almost as fast as if Bud had got her hands on it.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

scantrontb wrote:
OMG! you TALKED about somebody... um, you know... engaging in ... flatulence... I'M OFFENDED....

(not really, i just HAD to go there...) :D
Speaking of going there, I hear the pun jar could use another roll of (XXXXXXX).
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?