Became self-aware 2014-12-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Became self-aware 2014-12-01

Post by jwhouk »

May I suggest an informal rule?

If Pablo posts the comic on Facebook, don't start a new thread until it's officially posted to the website.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

jwhouk wrote:May I suggest an informal rule?

If Pablo posts the comic on Facebook, don't start a new thread until it's officially posted to the website.
Seconded!
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

"Became self-aware" ... I guess that's one step above Voyager?

(I don't know; never was into Star Trek ...)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Why would Monica think that would be appropriate like TWO DAYS after she broke up with him?
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

shadowinthelight wrote:Heh, even Monica ships Kevacia.
She's been reminding Kev of Bud's crush for over a year. I think she may be in for a bit of a shock as to how it shakes out though.
Thor wrote:
Goth Wolf wrote:and yes folks the penny has finally dropped hasn't it Monica?
I don't think she's really learning anything new here. I think mostly she's just venting her inner monolog in front of a captive audience who is busy trying not to say the wrong thing and be eviscerated. :roll:
Yeah, on Facebook they were going on about the cluebat finally striking. With M it's more... Xeno's Cluearrow. Always someone who could really use her attention juuuust in front of her. But she's not quite made it there yet.

Will a Dire Oath to Styx overcome Monica's prevaricating desire to help? Or can she actually prove she can give a damn about a youngster, all on her own?
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Thor wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Well, finally Cricket holds still long enough for Mon to actually talk to her. She may now be confused, but at least she isn't panicked.
Monica's really not making a case for Cricket to not run from her. Sure Mon might not obliterate her, but she there is a very real chance that she'll start blabbering all her old lady problems at Cricket for hours on end. :?
Hmmm, talked to death about old lady problems, or instantly killed by obliteration....now that is a tough choice.
I think I would be tempted to run away even faster.
Seriously, what teenager wants to hear all that "self aware" nonsense from an adult about their personal life?

On another note, I did speculate that Monica was assigned to Cricket to learn, not just teach. I call QED (and place the proper mathematical sum in the pun jar).
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Dave

Post by Dave »

meisdadoo wrote:Hmmm, talked to death about old lady problems, or instantly killed by obliteration....now that is a tough choice.
I think I would be tempted to run away even faster.
Seriously, what teenager wants to hear all that "self aware" nonsense from an adult about their personal life?
Hmmm. Perhaps we could pitch a reboot of the movie "Airplane!", with Monica playing the part of self-doubting ex-pilot Ted Striker, and Calista, Tina, and Daren as the various minor characters who suffered Striker's depressing reminiscings to the point of committing suicide? :?

Although, I'm not sure that calling them "old lady problems" is strictly accurate. Plenty of teens and twenty-somethings go through very similar flailings and flounderings in their personal lives... they may just not have enough experience and perspective to analyze what they're doing.

Being older isn't a guarantee of wisdom, of course... but by the time we have five or six decades of life experience, it becomes a bit harder to indulge in blatant self-denial and proclaim "No, truly, I really am not being a horse's ass right now." 8-)
illiad

Post by illiad »

lake_wrangler wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I'd sure like to know how jwhouk saw the new comic before midnight??? :shock:
Facebook.
That's what I thought, but... doesn't Paul also post the comic's title, on his facebook page? :?
Jwhouk has great 'mod' skillz 8-) , and sometimes gets the comic *before* it has been properly named, he is so impatient to get the *earliest* one, sometimes the 'hook' slips :? , due to an unexpected name change! :oops: :lol: :lol:
Yamara wrote: Will a Dire Oath to Styx overcome Monica's prevaricating desire to help? Or can she actually prove she can give a damn about a youngster, all on her own?
well first she has to sort out her own problems!!! maybe cricket could help, realise this poor girl has more problems than hers??? :o :shock:
eee

Post by eee »

(Yeah, but do you know a Bud, Jimminy?)

Re Monica: So now she gets it; let's see what she does with that self-awareness.

Based on past performance, I'm not hopeful.

Although this MIGHT lead to an event that is long overdue. IIRC, Monica's parents are still alive. But - at least since her entry into the world of the supernatural started - she hasn't contacted them or gone home to avoid bringing the weirdness and danger into their lives. If her new insight that trying to protect them from the part she hates just is hurting them, though, maybe we'll finally get to meet them.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

eee wrote:Although this MIGHT lead to an event that is long overdue. IIRC, Monica's parents are still alive. But - at least since her entry into the world of the supernatural started - she hasn't contacted them or gone home to avoid bringing the weirdness and danger into their lives. If her new insight that trying to protect them from the part she hates just is hurting them, though, maybe we'll finally get to meet them.
Ooh. I'd like that.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I wonder how much of Cricket's assumption that just about anything she does is going to result in anger and death is a reflection on Monica's reputation, and how much a result of growing up in Fae society.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

starkruzr wrote:Why would Monica think that would be appropriate like TWO DAYS after she broke up with him?
It's actually been several days - three weeks in real time - since M broke up with Kevin.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:I wonder how much of Cricket's assumption that just about anything she does is going to result in anger and death is a reflection on Monica's reputation, and how much a result of growing up in Fae society.
Mostly the latter.

Many versions of the fae portray a society where even an inadvertent insult can lead to a death-duel
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

You know, Tina never did get to talk about her role in things from way back at the beach when so many other things suddenly went ker-plowie from that point on.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

AmriloJim wrote:

Seconded!
Thireded... ed... LOL
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

DilyV wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:

Seconded!
Thireded... ed... LOL
But sometimes the new page is posted and some will see it while others can't because the main page doesn't always update right away for everyone (ISP caching problem?). More than once the appearance of the thread has tipped me off to the new page when the main page was still showing the previous day. Getting to start the day's thread is a prize to dedicated fans. If that dedication involves going the extra mile to visit Paul's Facebook page (just a click if you have it bookmarked, see my sig) then I don't think it should be discounted.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote: But sometimes the new page is posted and some will see it while others can't because the main page doesn't always update right away for everyone (ISP caching problem?). More than once the appearance of the thread has tipped me off to the new page when the main page was still showing the previous day. Getting to start the day's thread is a prize to dedicated fans. If that dedication involves going the extra mile to visit Paul's Facebook page (just a click if you have it bookmarked, see my sig) then I don't think it should be discounted.
Just make sure that the thread title is the correct title for the day's comic...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Just make sure that the thread title is the correct title for the day's comic...
Paul has, of late, been posting only the comic sans title up to two hours before the page goes live.
At 22:15 2014-11-30 on Facebook, Pablo wrote:For all my awesome Facebook friends, here's Monday's comic early! *hugs*
As I commented earlier, I was tempted to start this thread as "Title TBA 2014-12-01", then edit the title once it went live at midnight. But as I could not guarantee I'd be online at that time, I passed on the day's "first!" honors.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

kingklash wrote:You know, Tina never did get to talk about her role in things from way back at the beach when so many other things suddenly went ker-plowie from that point on.

Yeeeeeaaaaah, now that you mention it, she's been kind of left dangling re: "but what about my recent developments?" and stuff. (I'm so eloquent...).

I suppose we'll get back around to her but other characters have faded into the background before, some have returned, others .... have not.

10% Tina would suit me fine. (and, she's such a catalyst for other stuff happening...)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Many versions of the fae portray a society where even an inadvertent insult can lead to a death-duel
According to popular culture, at least. But we've already seen this setting's depiction of such things as the story of Perseus and Medusa, or the way vampires and werewolves interact with each other and with human society, or the nature of demons, or the way sirens act. Though even in the setting, fae seem to be thought of as unhinged and untrustworthy and dangerous. Granted, Atsali is acting against type for sirens according to the setting's stereotypes about her kind, and Monica is not the stereotypical version of a jaguar girl, but even Cricket herself seems to agree with the general public's idea of what fae are like.
kingklash wrote:You know, Tina never did get to talk about her role in things from way back at the beach when so many other things suddenly went ker-plowie from that point on.
Oh, that was all discussed and settled off-screen. We'll find out all about it in a flashback during Castela's high-school graduation ceremony. Yep! Don't worry, she's a smart kid; I'm sure that she'll graduate early, around 2025 or thereabout!