Stand Back 2014-11-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
meisdadoo

Re: Stand Back 2014-11-17

Post by meisdadoo »

Warrl wrote:
Dave wrote:There seems to be at least as large a cohort who feel that Standard Time is what should go... that Daylight Savings Time should be in effect year-round.
That was tried back in the Carter administration.

Pick your preference from these two options:

1) Kids are out standing by the side of the road waiting for the school bus before sunrise, in the dark.

2) Kids get off the school bus after sunset, in the dark, and immediately walk up driveways/across yards/etc - AWAY FROM THE ROAD - to their homes.

The direct effect of the "year-round Daylight Savings Time" in the school district that I was in, was #1.

A few days after a little girl - a 4th-grader if I remember right - was hit by a car, the school board decided it was feasible and desirable for the entire school district to go to option 2. By having school start an hour later. The change took effect the following week.

I don't recall just how long it was before the little girl was able to return to school, but I'm pretty sure it was more than one month and less than six months.

As you might guess, I remain convinced that option 2 is the better choice by far. Which means that extending DST year round is a BAD choice, at least within the latitude range of the US's 48 contiguous states.
No matter how you slice it, moving the clocks back and forth is like cutting the bottom off of a blanket and sewing it onto the top to make it longer...

Hows about we move the clocks one half of an hour and then just leave them alone--split the difference and call it even.
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
as363

Post by as363 »

I'm inclined to think that Mr. P is presenting this in the right way. If you go back a few months - the rankings were in the low 40'ts - and now are in the low 20t's .That is a dramatic shift that indicates the growing approval of the way the story has been trending . Yes - the story of the teen and the fey as a preteen were interesting for a time - but it is the main characters that draw the most interest. That's not to say that the occasional appearance of the Gilchrist family would ever be objectionable - one always needs a little lightness at times.

"Nuf said.
Kerric

Post by Kerric »

Omrikon wrote:I can't say I really remember Georgette's story or why she's relevant, but this came out of left field for me. I suppose that's the point, but frankly I can't recall Paul ever putting much focus into romance beyond a handful of strips between major events, especially with potential between these two, so it feels like an attempt to just take Kevin out completely. I don't even remember the last time Kevin was involved either, but at least I REMEMBER him.

[Ellipsis...]

Maybe Georgette should at least meet Kevin too before this whole thing goes down, I don't know. Regardless, I commend him for getting me to be pretty invested in this arc, but will likely adjust my entire view of Paul as a writer afterwards according to how this story develops. :|
I registered just to concur with the above posting. I am a bit disappointed with the latest development since Kevin was not only one of the few male characters left of any importance, but also one of the few mundane ones. It now appears that he will be shuffled off-stage, ironically displaying even less agency in his departure than in his relationship with M.

Is there an in-universe explanation for the gender imbalance in powerful magical beings? I am not just referring to the number of characters being female, but that the few male ones are comic relief (Tepoz) or famous for not being very competent (Epimetheus). It seems to be a structural aspect of the Waspi-verse and might have an in-universe justification.
sheik

Post by sheik »

meisdadoo wrote:
Warrl wrote:
Dave wrote:There seems to be at least as large a cohort who feel that Standard Time is what should go... that Daylight Savings Time should be in effect year-round.
That was tried back in the Carter administration.

Pick your preference from these two options:

1) Kids are out standing by the side of the road waiting for the school bus before sunrise, in the dark.

2) Kids get off the school bus after sunset, in the dark, and immediately walk up driveways/across yards/etc - AWAY FROM THE ROAD - to their homes.

The direct effect of the "year-round Daylight Savings Time" in the school district that I was in, was #1.

A few days after a little girl - a 4th-grader if I remember right - was hit by a car, the school board decided it was feasible and desirable for the entire school district to go to option 2. By having school start an hour later. The change took effect the following week.

I don't recall just how long it was before the little girl was able to return to school, but I'm pretty sure it was more than one month and less than six months.

As you might guess, I remain convinced that option 2 is the better choice by far. Which means that extending DST year round is a BAD choice, at least within the latitude range of the US's 48 contiguous states.
No matter how you slice it, moving the clocks back and forth is like cutting the bottom off of a blanket and sewing it onto the top to make it longer...

Hows about we move the clocks one half of an hour and then just leave them alone--split the difference and call it even.
Since everyone, schools, businesses, whatever, make their own rules as to when something happens and the numbers themselves are just numbers; I say adopt Greenwich Mean Time and let people do as they will. That way noon will always be the same time at a particular spot and the powers that be can adjust accordingly. When time is _really_ important that's what the military does. For instance, NATO changes encryption codes at exactly midnight GMT no matter where on earth they are.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Kerric wrote:I registered just to concur with the above posting. I am a bit disappointed with the latest development since Kevin was not only one of the few male characters left of any importance, but also one of the few mundane ones. It now appears that he will be shuffled off-stage, ironically displaying even less agency in his departure than in his relationship with M.
Don't count him out yet. If you look back almost exactly one year (our time) you'll find this strip, which had a whole bunch of us going hyperbolic about the idea that Kevin had left Monica because he couldn't handle her recent changes.

As it turned out, that wasn't what was happening at all. What Monica had said, was easily subject to misinterpretation (as both Tsillah and Nudge found out in the next day's strip) and Kevin was present, cool, calm, collected, and still quite attached to Monica.

Tina is known for making her pronouncements in an obscure demon-eze dialect of Enigmatic. What she says, is often very easy to interpret in multiple ways. So, until we have some further context to go by, I would be cautious in assuming we really know what "the latest development" actually means. As Milo discovered, it's easy to jump to Conclusions but it's often a long swim back :)
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

About permanent DST (not that it's at all relevant to Wapsi):

It was Nixon, not Carter, who tried to abolish standard time. :o

He tried to abolish Xmas lights, too, in the aftermath of the notorious Gasoline Famine of '73. In fairness, those old lights were at least 5 W per bulb IIRC, and the total power consumption was considerable.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:Don't count him out yet. If you look back almost exactly one year (our time) you'll find this strip, which had a whole bunch of us going hyperbolic about the idea that Kevin had left Monica because he couldn't handle her recent changes.
Plus Kevin will still get to hang around if Bud hooks up with him.
Typeminer wrote:He tried to abolish Xmas lights, too, in the aftermath of the notorious Gasoline Famine of '73.
I always suspected he was related to the Grinch.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

as363 wrote:I'm inclined to think that Mr. P is presenting this in the right way. If you go back a few months - the rankings were in the low 40'ts - and now are in the low 20t's .That is a dramatic shift that indicates the growing approval of the way the story has been trending . Yes - the story of the teen and the fey as a preteen were interesting for a time - but it is the main characters that draw the most interest. That's not to say that the occasional appearance of the Gilchrist family would ever be objectionable - one always needs a little lightness at times.

"Nuf said.
Actually, it went from 17 up to 12 in the course of the day. I want a Wapsi that goes to 11.

The rest of the week will be Dietzel in a rollerskate chariot pulled by squirrels navigating an obstacle course made up entirely of Space Alien Cat Girls.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:Tina is known for making her pronouncements in an obscure demon-eze dialect of Enigmatic. What she says, is often very easy to interpret in multiple ways. So, until we have some further context to go by, I would be cautious in assuming we really know what "the latest development" actually means. As Milo discovered, it's easy to jump to Conclusions but it's often a long swim back :)

that was TL;DR.. could i have a shorter sentence please?... something along the lines of "I am." maybe?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantrontb wrote:that was TL;DR.. could i have a shorter sentence please?... something along the lines of "I am." maybe?
Sorry about that... I'm sometimes a bit longwinded. I wouldn't want to be giving you short shrift.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:
scantrontb wrote:that was TL;DR.. could i have a shorter sentence please?... something along the lines of "I am." maybe?
Sorry about that... I'm sometimes a bit longwinded. I wouldn't want to be giving you short shrift.
THAT i could handle... it's the FINES i can't, i'm living paycheck-to-paycheck right now, it would take FOREVER to pay them off...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac