Made Their Case 2014-11-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ChattaStarhawk

Re: Made Their Case 2014-11-11

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Jet is certainly tanked up!

(Donates the use of a flight line crew for pun jar service...)
Taranatar

Post by Taranatar »

So... is the old guard going out with a bang?

*drops a few crackers in the pun jar*
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

TazManiac wrote:Heh, heh...

"Baby, cool your jets..."
Fixed that for you. ;)
AmriloJim wrote:Is this a dangling proposition, or what?
Something WAS dangling, but not anymore. If you know what I mean.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been said that for many survivors of rape and/or sexual abuse, they end up looking for/finding their worth in sexual promiscuity?
That's exactly what happened to one girl I knew, who was raised as a sex slave until she was freed around the age of sixteen. Her entire sense of self-worth and purpose in life involved how well she could sexually please any male around her. She eventually managed to get things under control (mostly), but it took many years of counseling and various medications as well. She was never "cured", just learned to control herself and find self-value in other ways. I wasn't even aware of any of that part of her background when I started dating her, until one day when she had sort of a relapse. Most of the time, externally she acted just as any other girl does around menfolk.

I've dealt with hundreds of other rape victims who were attacked as a sort of psychological warfare strategy; when their village is captured, the women are raped by the attackers to demoralise their menfolk. With them things were different than they were with my friend, but they still ended up with major problems. Oftentimes their husbands or fathers would kick them out of their homes for being "polluted", and then the women would have to do whatever they could to make a living. So a good number of them would turn to prostitution. This created a sort of cycle: they were unclean and worthless because they'd had sex with other guys; they'd need to have sex with other guys because they were unclean and worthless.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Atomic wrote:Sexy, etc, aside, what I've found most interesting is the "The demons you anthropormorphised for me..." comment.

Monica had (always?) had the ability to deal with her demons directly -- Doubt at first, and through Doubt, the others. Hence, she is the Demon Wrangler. Following Jet's comment, her role in treating Jet's issues was to apply that gift to Jet, so she could deal with them more directly. What a deal, eh?

So, now the trick is knowing just when to ignore them!
Monica wrote:"If I don't do exactly what they say, the become completely.... Harmless!"
(Bonus points for the linky on that one)
You mean this one???

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/dontdoastheysay/
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

DilyV for the win!

You my now remove One Item from the Pun Jar, provided you can lift it without assistance and carry it to the Exit. Assuming you can find the exit.

Note - Avoid using bread crumbs to mark the trail -- that never works. Thread, maybe, as long as it isn't wool.

If you're off line for a while, we'll understand!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Atomic wrote:DilyV for the win!

You my now remove One Item from the Pun Jar, provided you can lift it without assistance and carry it to the Exit. Assuming you can find the exit.

Note - Avoid using bread crumbs to mark the trail -- that never works. Thread, maybe, as long as it isn't wool.

Waits to see if anyone is brave enough to actually reach into the pun jar. Yea good luck on finding the exit, confusion corner present days answer to the Hotel California.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

DilyV wrote:
Atomic wrote:Sexy, etc, aside, what I've found most interesting is the "The demons you anthropormorphised for me..." comment.

Monica had (always?) had the ability to deal with her demons directly -- Doubt at first, and through Doubt, the others. Hence, she is the Demon Wrangler. Following Jet's comment, her role in treating Jet's issues was to apply that gift to Jet, so she could deal with them more directly. What a deal, eh?

So, now the trick is knowing just when to ignore them!
Monica wrote:"If I don't do exactly what they say, the become completely.... Harmless!"
(Bonus points for the linky on that one)
You mean this one???

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/dontdoastheysay/
Atomic wrote:DilyV for the win!

Hey, now I'm feeling left out! I had already provided that same link on the previous page... In fact, my post was immediately following Atomic's asking for the link (which, ironically enough, I was unaware of until after I had posted...)

I think I'll just go mope in a corner, now... :(

:P 8-) :lol:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

lake_wrangler:

Ack! My apologiezeeeeeze! That's what I get for not reading carefully enough to click through and see what was there.

Ok -- Same prize rules for the Pun Jar, but you can use a wheelbarrow. At your own risk, of course.

My Deviant Art scribbles
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote:lake_wrangler:

Ack! My apologiezeeeeeze! That's what I get for not reading carefully enough to click through and see what was there.

Ok -- Same prize rules for the Pun Jar, but you can use a wheelbarrow. At your own risk, of course.
*Takes wheelbarrow, a paintbrush, and a can of paint.*
*Paints the threads on the wheel, to create a track to follow back, with the intent to keep applying paint if the track begins to faint.*
*Enters Pun Jar*

My God! It's full of stars!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Oh great, we'll never see him again.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

In one of Barry Hughart's "Master Li/Number Ten Ox" books, Master Li, who tends to introduce himself with "My family name is Li, my given name is Kao, and there is a slight flaw in my character," is recruited by some fairly desperate government officials (they'd have to be desperate to recruit Li Kao for anything) to solve a series of rather nasty murders.

He's given an Imperial Commission (this is ancient China), and Number Ten Ox, his not-at-all dumb sidekick, thinks
By the time he'd had that paper two days, it would likely be permission to inspect the Imperial Treasury with two brawny peasants, a shovel and an oxcart.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Ah, those are some of my favorite stories in the world.

I ran across "Bridge Of Birds" on the shelf at a mass-market bookstore, read the first few pages, and was thoroughly enchanted... it was my luckiest "find' of the year, at the very least. "The emotional health of a village depends on having a person that everyone loves to hate, and our village was blessed with two" was the hook, and the recipe for porcupine in black bean sauce was the eventual clincher.

How dare you accuse us of fraud?
We shall sue!

And, yes, kaoliang is pretty much as described. ;)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I remember Master Li shooting down some other character claiming to be Very Old: "If my youngest great-grandson hadn't eaten some poorly-prepared puffer fish twenty years ago, he'd be about your age." Or something on that order.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

lake_wrangler wrote:My God! It's full of stars!
Win!

My Deviant Art scribbles