Secret Mission 2014-10-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Secret Mission 2014-10-21

Post by shadowinthelight »

Time to break out the camo and binoculars.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Secret Mission 2014-10-21

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Panel Three - another one of those kid-sisterly expressions elder siblings get to know all too well.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

What happened to Castela's stammer in that comic?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

Yep, sounds like a secret mission to me! 8-P
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yesterday, Atsali ended up looking quite crestfallen.

Today, she didn't.

Her crest isn't fallen, or falling.

It's running for cover, screaming "No! No! Stifle! Shut up! Be not talking!"

Little kids, with lots of enthusiasm, a sense of mischief, and no internal censors or governers at all. :roll: They're good for us... they help us stay honest and real... but Holy Guacamole, it's a rough ride sometimes! :lol:
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Opus the Poet wrote:What happened to Castela's stammer in that comic?
She got all the words in her head and there were few enough of them that they didn't get jammed in the doorway trying to all crowd out of her mouth at the same time.

She doesn't usually stammer. Mostly when she's trying to express complex things while excited or upset.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Castela tells Kathryn, who offers Atsali advice.
Kathryn mentions it to Monica, who stops by to offer Atsali advice.
Monica mentions it to Phix in passing, who buttonholes Atsali on her next library trip to offer advice
Phix ...
(you get the idea)

Parts of the advice contradicts other parts, and most is admonishments of things to avoid. Once again Atsali is afraid any action will be the wrong one.

And she hasn't yet considered that the boy may not love her yet, but will in the future, unless she mucks things up now.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Pickle wrote:Hey everybody! I know a Secret!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Panel 2: Thoughtful Castela.

Poor Atsali... I don't think we've heard the full story about why being a siren is such a stigma in the Wapsi universe... but it must be bad for it to be so frightening to Atsali.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Poor Atsali... I don't think we've heard the full story about why being a siren is such a stigma in the Wapsi universe... but it must be bad for it to be so frightening to Atsali.
I get the feeling that many of the Wapsi paranormals treat Sirens, in something like the way that the Puritans of Boston treated Hester Prynn. That would seem a horrifying prospect for a friendly and social teen such as Atsali.

And, you're right, we haven't heard the whole story... just Atsali's take on the situation and the stereotype, and some catty remarks from the mermaid girls (remarks which I suspect are no more and no less vicious than the rumors and gossip which scurry around most human high schools). Maybe the Sirens' rep as sexual predators is largely deserved, or perhaps it's just the 1% "bad apples" misbehaving... it will be interesting to learn the truth as time goes by.

Reputation-ruining rumor campaigns and "viral" scorning and criticism have driven kids to suicide. Atsali's caution seems wise... she's already got one big strike against her due to her heritage.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Well, we know that sirens have a mind-control power, and being mind-controlled is NEVER popular. Nor is watching someone you have even a mild interest in be mind-controlled by someone else.

And I bet the percentage of teen sirens who scrupulously avoid EVER using it to manipulate others and get what they want is smaller than the percentage who would use the ability about as readily as mermaids swim - and with as little thought for the moral implications. Which in turn is smaller than the percentage who use it occasionally and get caught rather blatantly.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Never mind desserts for a week, can you just be quiet for 30 seconds and not tell mom? Oh yes its wonderful that siren powers don't work on loved ones.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
illiad

Post by illiad »

Atsali, repeat after me...

do not tell young kids secrets...
do not tell young kids secrets... :roll: :lol:

dont tell mom... "hey mom!!" :( :o
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

Judging by panel 3, I'm starting to think maybe it's not that Pickle has no filters, but rather that she's started growing out of that and is actively trolling.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Poor Sali. She's still looking for a sure thing. She cannot get what she wants without taking risks with relationships. Berdette is right that she should just start talking to the boy. Not be all worried about public opinion about her. While she has some justification to be worried it is not enough for her to fall into on of these romantic comedies where stupidity rules. As long as she does not sing at the boy no one can claim she used her powers. Some will but the boy can easily refute that claim. From the way he sounds I doubt he's going to take the initiative. But trying a contrived plan using your younger sister is asking for it to blow up in her face. It will too. Luckily I think Kathy is going to get involved here soon, or I hope she is.

As to a string of Aunts giving relationship advice? Think about how successful all of them have been in their own lives? I don't think any of them would be willing to offer that type of advice to a teenager. Or I hope they are smart enough not to.

Phix's advice: First you use them and then you eat them!
Bia's advice: Get all the use out of them before you let them go.
Shelly's advice: Make sure they can recover from what you do to them first.
Jin's Advice: WHEEEE.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The three worst Atsali didn't get a chance to say: "Don't tell mom."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

It looks as though blackthorns and black ops don't mix readily.

So, what would have been Atsali's reaction and plan had Castela not been immune to her song?
shadowinthelight wrote:Time to break out the camo and binoculars.
Gosh, I wonder if Castela would be any good at camouflage. . .
Dave wrote:Maybe the Sirens' rep as sexual predators is largely deserved, or perhaps it's just the 1% "bad apples" misbehaving... it will be interesting to learn the truth as time goes by.
Could depend on how common sirens are, too. If there are a million of them, then one or two misbehaving isn't that significant. If there are only one or two known sirens at any time, though, then all it takes is one misbehaving to mess things up for all the rest.
Dave wrote:Atsali's caution seems wise... she's already got one big strike against her due to her heritage.
And possibly two excessively big strikes in her physique.
zachariah wrote:But trying a contrived plan using your younger sister is asking for it to blow up in her face. It will too.
Likely in a most hilarious manner.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I love the progression of the final panels of three of the last four pages:

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
as363

Post by as363 »

Love the new avatar - at least you didn't use Reggie !
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

But, that's exactly what Nerdy Birdy has in mind, isn't it?