Atsali Angst 2014-10-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
oldmanmickey

Atsali Angst 2014-10-14

Post by oldmanmickey »

I can see the glass shattering for miles
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
DilyV

Re: Atsali Angst 2014-10-14

Post by DilyV »

Aaaaaaand her wingz appeared with a loud and thunderous POP!!!

Question is... what is the squee for?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

The Squee is for knowing she will have someone that loves her for her, not for her Bewbs or because she Compelled him with a Song. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I think she needs another session with Monica's Russian engineer friend. Portions of her are continuing upward even though she's otherwise reached the top of her trajectory.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Maybe she sees Mini-Dietzel on her visit with Monica.

Just before he is restored to his normal size,
let's see him as a great-great-great Dane.
Dave

Post by Dave »

An interesting title, for what seems an upbeat drawing!
Collins English Dictionary wrote:angst: 2. (Philosophy) (in Existentialist philosophy) the dread caused by man's awareness that his future is not determined but must be freely chosen
Another definition (Urban Online Dictionary) suggests that "angst" differs from "anxiety", in that angst includes at least some hope that one might be able to overcome the troubles that one fears.

Nadettes's news about the ability of love to block a Siren's charmsong has probably opened up a whole bunch of possibilities for Atsali... and not made her life any simpler! I get the feeling that she may have decided that Romance Was Not For Her... that the only way she could live as a Siren, and not fall into the stereotype of being a sexual predator, would be to "swear off boys" and all other lovers, for good. Not an easy decision to make... but it gave her a fairly clear path to follow.

Now, though, she has reason to believe that it may be possible for her to have both love, and honor... if she's careful enough... and this puts her right back into that stew of excitement and anxiety known as "teenage dating". Queen bee or not, she still has a lot of uncertain territory ahead of her, and no exact guidance. So, a "squeee" for the possibilities that have opened up, and a bad case of nerves as well.

Angst indeed.

"The future's not fixed... there is no fate, but that which we make for ourselves."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

My take on Angst was "All these possibilities and I have to choose one of them!" Followed by Anxiety - "And what if I choose wrong?"

So, the seem pretty close to overlapped at times.

Then followed by Dread - "OK - Time to choose.... err.... ummm..."

And finally, Grief. "Dammit! Wrong one. Can I start over? Please?"
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:And finally, Grief. "Dammit! Wrong one. Can I start over? Please?"
"Sorry, kid. The Calendar machine has been crunched. No do-overs."

Why should she have it any easier in that regard, than the rest of us do? ;)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I thought Aang was his own man (or boy, as the case may be...) Or, at most, he later became Katara's Aang. Certainly not Atsali's...

*Deposits a copy of the DVD collection of Avatar, the Last Airbender into the pun jar*
as363

Post by as363 »

Hmmm - one panel and one page of quotes - sure cut down on the questions and opinions. But the Avatar - the last air-bender sure comes close.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:Nadettes's news about the ability of love to block a Siren's charmsong has probably opened up a whole bunch of possibilities for Atsali... and not made her life any simpler! I get the feeling that she may have decided that Romance Was Not For Her... that the only way she could live as a Siren, and not fall into the stereotype of being a sexual predator, would be to "swear off boys" and all other lovers, for good. Not an easy decision to make... but it gave her a fairly clear path to follow.

Now, though, she has reason to believe that it may be possible for her to have both love, and honor... if she's careful enough... and this puts her right back into that stew of excitement and anxiety known as "teenage dating". Queen bee or not, she still has a lot of uncertain territory ahead of her, and no exact guidance. So, a "squeee" for the possibilities that have opened up, and a bad case of nerves as well.

Oh man, i MUST be a die-hard pessimist... i read that "Squee!" as her thinking to herself that "All i have to do is to sing to him and if he doesn't fall for it and do whatever i tell him to do, and goes 'Huh!, I ain't gonna do that!' then HE'S THE ONE!... Squee...." yeah... right... um, the only problem with that line of thought is that he (probably) barely knows her!... he couldn't possibly love her that much already (i'm ignoring the hypothetical 'love at first sight' trope. it doesn't exist, but LUST at first sight DOES exist...) so when she sings to him, he gets snagged and fails her test... then she does it to the next boy she thinks she wants (or at least the REST of the crowd of guys she probably had overhear her when she 'thought' the two of them were alone), fails again, and again, and again... Poof! she gets the reputation of a sexual predator without even trying... kinda like Enticia from the web-comic "The Heroes of C.R.A.S.H." (it's kinda like the high school version of PS238) heck she snagged a guy just because he makes really good brownies... no other reason, just the brownies... but to everyone ELSE, she's considered almost a villain because of her habit of doing that to guys ho happen to be heroes...

remember what YOU were like when you were a teen... i'll be generous and say that *some* of us back then could plan around that outcome, but most of us couldn't due to the hormone driven stupidity, and i foresee that happening here too...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

scantrontb wrote:(i'm ignoring the hypothetical 'love at first sight' trope. it doesn't exist, but LUST at first sight DOES exist...)
To approximately quote a character in one of Chris Stasheff's books, "Love at first second-sight, I can believe in."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Awwwww man... I did a quick retext of today's strip but I can't post it... something about board attachment limit reached or sumpin...

Anyway, the gist of it is:

Atsali: "I kissed a gurl and I liiiiiiked it... the taste of her Cherry Chapstick.... "

LOL... Sorry, I couldn't resist....
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Awwwww man... I did a quick retext of today's strip but I can't post it... something about board attachment limit reached or sumpin...

Anyway, the gist of it is:

Atsali: "I kissed a gurl and I liiiiiiked it... the taste of her Cherry Chapstick.... "

LOL... Sorry, I couldn't resist....
Yeah, the board hit its upload limit about a year ago, and the limit was never increased.

It's still possible to link to images uploaded elsewhere... if you have a web-site-capable account somewhere, that might be an option.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DilyV wrote:Aaaaaaand her wingz appeared with a loud and thunderous POP!!!
I do sometimes wonder just how many shirts she goes through, seeing as how her wings seem to sometimes have a mind of their own when she gets excited.

"At last, a top that fits! Yay!"
*riiip*
"Dang it!!!"
Opus the Poet wrote:The Squee is for knowing she will have someone that loves her for her, not for her Bewbs. . .
Or even loves her for all of the above!