Dietzel Sweetie 2014-09-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Dietzel Sweetie 2014-09-30

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote:I knew a couple who lived in a nice house in a not-so-nice part of town with their two young kids, a fenced-in yard, and two dogs. One dog was an Alsatian of normal size, and the other was a larger and exceptionally fluffy white thing that was allegedly half Malamute, half Alsatian and half polar bear. Both of the dogs absolutely adored kids, whether their own family's or others. The dogs were also perfectly friendly and docile to adults usually; at most the Alsatian would give one woof just to let strangers know that he was watching them.

But if any kids were playing in the yard, and if a stranger started getting too close to the fence when the parents weren't in view, the dogs would get strategic. The big fluffy white one would stand out in the middle of the yard wagging her tail, looking all happy and carefree and friendly and brainless. She was the decoy. The moment that the stranger set foot into the yard, then the Alsatian would suddenly come charging out of ambush, hit the stranger in the legs from behind, and knock the person down. The fluffy white one would then run over and jump on the person's chest. Both dogs would then pin the stranger down until their owners arrived.

The dogs worked all of that out spontaneously, on their own. They had no special training or anything.
I would have loved to see that!
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:Is it me, or does Dietzel look somewhat plastic-y and 1980s-ish, on the bookshelf in that first panel?
Could be worse...
AnotherFairportfan wrote:It's hell when you can't get anyone to feed you a straight line.
I've gotta do some research. I'm sure there's something in DSM-IV or Lancet or the American Journal of Medicine which will properly document the horrible consequences of having all that pun pressure built up inside, with nowhere for it to go. That syndrome has ruined my day more than once, and I truly suspect it has shortened my life.

(On the other hand it has probably saved the sanity of several of my family, friends, and cow-orkers. I shouldn't complain too loudly. Probably will, though.)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

lake_wrangler wrote:Is it me, or does Dietzel look somewhat plastic-y and 1980s-ish, on the bookshelf in that first panel?
Resin, actually. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I want a Pocket Dietzel.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:I want a Pocket Dietzel.
Hmmm. Ought to be possible for a current-generation 3D printer. Of course, Paul owns the rights to the character, even if someone else reverse-engineers a 3D model...

Shapeways (and I imagine others) can do the printing in various plastics, and in sintered metal (stainless, bronze, and even jewelry-grade precious metals).
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

As a Tamagouchi or a Pokemon?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

The more I look at this the more I hear the Library messaging system going "Cleanup Floor 117, Wing D, Aisle 32. Bring the wet-vac and a change of undies for a pixie princess."
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
illiad

Post by illiad »

put your request!!! :) :)
http://www.patchtogether.com/store/Dietzel-87.html

Last edited by illiad on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Atomic wrote:
An actual micro-dog.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

kingklash wrote:
Atomic wrote:
An actual micro-dog.
Pocket-broken, i assume.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Sidhekin wrote:
illiad wrote:Um, Wapsi started 09092001, not 2002...

sorry, you'll have give me a clue about 'That Other Comic'...
Ah, but the first implied reference to DieTZel Sweeties appeared in 2002: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/12042002/

... if "implied reference" was what it was. I'm still not ruling out coincidence. 8-)
FIXED that for you... :/ :(

DieSel Sweeties ("That Other Comic") is low res, and has nothing to do with dogs... I have only seen a cat in it! :/

The first official, in-comic appearance of My Little Dietzel?
I think its just the problem of the drawing size...
Oh, and there seems to have been a sudden change in temperature... It's affecting the speech balloon, in that last panel... ;)
:) If you dont know, it means she is shaking with fear! :P
Last edited by illiad on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

illiad wrote:FIXED that for you... :/ :(
Nope.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:

The first official, in-comic appearance of My Little Dietzel?
I think its just the problem of the drawing size...
OK, maybe I wasn't clear: I wasn't commenting on the art quality, but rather that the way he stood there reminded me of the old My Little Pony toys from the early 80s, which were made of soft plastic, as far as I know. Hence the description "plastic-y and 1980s-ish". I further ran with the thought by linking to Atomic's amusingly brilliant rendering of various WS characters as little Dietzels, rather than Little Ponies (for which there is a thread, incidentally...)

illiad wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Oh, and there seems to have been a sudden change in temperature... It's affecting the speech balloon, in that last panel... ;)
:) If you dont know, it means she is shaking with fear! :P
Again, you are taking me too literally: I was implying a drop in temp, causing a chill in the place (and in Calista's mind and heart...)

Again, to be clear: chill = fear.

I guess that, by virtue of having had to explain my humor, it may not have been as funny as I thought. Either that, or it was too subtle for some...
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

lake_wrangler wrote:I guess that, by virtue of having had to explain my humor, it may not have been as funny as I thought. Either that, or it was too subtle for some...
[Kosh] YES [/Kosh]
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

scantrontb wrote:
[Kosh] YES [/Kosh]
I so miss that show.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Mark N wrote:
scantrontb wrote:
[Kosh] YES [/Kosh]
I so miss that show.
that's what DVD's are for! :D
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:I so miss that show.
Ditto. I was just thinking this week that it's been a couple of years since I pulled out the DVDs... time for another viewing of at least some of it, some time fairly soon.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Maybe sifi network would like to show them instead of wcw. Wait it will probably be like longmire, got rid of because i am part of the wrong demographic it appealed to.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

One of these days I'll get those last 2-3 CDs I'm missing to finish my B5 audio collection. I just happened to find the Lost Tales soundtrack a few weeks ago at the Family Dollar store down the street.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
illiad

Post by illiad »

lake_wrangler, you are DEEEEEP... :bro: :) :ugeek: