Dietzel Sweetie 2014-09-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sidhekin

Re: Dietzel Sweetie 2014-09-30

Post by Sidhekin »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:"Dietzel Sweetie"? Is that deliberate?
If it is, it's not new. M has called Dietzel "Sweetie" since 2002. 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

We still haven't heard Deitzel bark, that was his "Here I Am Howl".

Little Spidy is bigger than we thought. Cricket has returned to full size to read the book. Deitzel and Lil Spidy are on the shelf and Spidy is half the size of Deitzel. That is a big spider, a lot bigger that we thought. Must make a heck of a web and eats a lot of bookworms as well.

Monica is not angry. She is concerned for both of them and worried. I doubt we will see unreasoning anger over the shrinking of Deitzel. What we should see is a face palm once Cricket explains. Then Monica says, "Turn him back." Then stands there tapping her toe staring at Cricket as she searches the spell book frantically.

Other choice is Cricket runs away and hides from Monica. She will be sure that this is the last mistake she gets to make. This arc may become a story about Cricket running away from home and Monica taking Deitzel and Lil Spidy with her. A sort of miniature Hero's journey.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Cheesy1 wrote:Gotta love Calista's "Oh shit!" look on her face in that last panel! :D
thats....not... the oh shit look...

that look is..... the i am going to die look
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Aed wrote:Is this the first time that we've heard Dietzel bark? :?
I think so.

Dietzel is the Harpo of this crew.
No, he barked when he could tell the difference between Bose and analog...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

My sister had a wirehair terrier, named Killer. When he wanted to let people know he was guarding the house, his bark sounded like, "Yow-wow-woo!" Just a friendly heads up. But, if he wanted to scare someone, he'd lay low, wait until someone got real close, then suddenly he would let loose with a bark from a dog several times his size! Sometimes he did that for fun.
illiad

Post by illiad »

jwhouk wrote:
Aed wrote:Is this the first time that we've heard Dietzel bark? :?
I think so.

Dietzel is the Harpo of this crew.
No, he barked when he could tell the difference between Bose and analog...
It wasn't a bark, it was a howl, I think... :/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/spoiled-now/

lake_wrangler: M's friends think he is a 'just a dog', but he is a very special one, with opposable thumbs to open doors, a liking for pizza and tv games! I guess the pizza place has touch tone ordering so he can do that?? :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

illiad wrote:
jwhouk wrote:No, he barked when he could tell the difference between Bose and analog...
It wasn't a bark, it was a howl, I think... :/
amar (noun):
  • a whining, complaining wail of discomfort and dismay
  • a state of psychological fugue, commonly triggered by listening to Bose components
(Interdimensional Dictionary of Audiophilia)

It is commonly acknowledged that the German word "nein" (no) has its origin in an unfortunate incident in which a group of proto-German farmers from the Roman era were inadvertently timedredged into the middle of a Bose sales convention in 1972. They were immediately exposed to the sound of a wall of Bose 901 speaker systems playing the hit song "School's Out" at ear-bleeding levels, and were seriously traumatized. Upon being restored to their original timeline, they were able to describe their experience only with a shocked look of revulsion and terror, and a stammer of "nine... nine... nine..."

(The Hitch-hiker's Guide to Temporal Anomalies)
illiad

Post by illiad »

ROFL :D :D :D :lol:
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

hey Cricket, remember what Monica said when you got there? Own what you do. Don't let anyone bully you if you've done nothing wrong. It was an accident, and you'll fix it. Stand up for yourself.
zachariah wrote: Little Spidy is bigger than we thought. Cricket has returned to full size to read the book. Deitzel and Lil Spidy are on the shelf and Spidy is half the size of Deitzel. That is a big spider, a lot bigger that we thought. Must make a heck of a web and eats a lot of bookworms as well.
It's a jumping spider. They don't build webs; they stalk their prey like cats. Some of them can get pretty big, too (video not safe for arachnophobes):
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sidhekin wrote:
It was the combination (I don't think she's used his name along with the endearment before) and the name of That Other Comic that i was referring to.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Zachariah: he is not bigger, check this page for ref.. :)
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/curious-explorer/
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Sidhekin wrote:
It was the combination (I don't think she's used his name along with the endearment before) and the name of That Other Comic that i was referring to.
That Other Comic already existed in 2002 (started in 2000, it seems). And the combination is implied.

I can just imagine Paul in 2002 going "hey, why isn't anyone noticing the reference?"

And then in 2004, he ups the ante with a "Dietzel! Sweetie," and still no one notices ...

... so ten years later, That Other Comic still running, he goes all the way, with "Dietzel-sweetie" repeated and "Dietzel Sweetie" as the title, hence multiple "Dietzel Sweeties".

8-)

illiad

Post by illiad »

Um, Wapsi started 09092001, not 2002...

sorry, you'll have give me a clue about 'That Other Comic'...
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

yes sir, good to know someone listens to ray stevens besides me, but the joke is far older. lol
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

illiad wrote:Um, Wapsi started 09092001, not 2002...

sorry, you'll have give me a clue about 'That Other Comic'...
Ah, but the first implied reference to Diesel Sweeties ("That Other Comic") appeared in 2002: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/12042002/

... if "implied reference" was what it was. I'm still not ruling out coincidence. 8-)

My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Aleister Crow wrote:hey Cricket, remember what Monica said when you got there? Own what you do. Don't let anyone bully you if you've done nothing wrong. It was an accident, and you'll fix it. Stand up for yourself.
Actually Calista’s best option may be a full breakdown -- huddled on the floor as a bundle of misery speaking apologies to everything and no one. Ought to give Monica pause to listen, and then gently coax Calista out of an impossible (mental) place. This can be the situation that Monica needs to reconnect with Calista on an emotional level and replace the fear her earlier actions generated.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote: lake_wrangler: M's friends think he is a 'just a dog', but he is a very special one, with opposable thumbs to open doors, a liking for pizza and tv games! I guess the pizza place has touch tone ordering so he can do that?? :)
I know that. It's just that it fit so well where I used it. :)

oldmanmickey wrote:yes sir, good to know someone listens to ray stevens besides me, but the joke is far older. lol
I'm sure it is. That's merely the first thing that popped in my mind upon seeing the comment about Calista making her own exit.

I've done nothing wrong, so I'll own what I did and not let anyone bully me into changing my answers! :P :mrgreen: 8-) :lol:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sidhekin wrote:
That Other Comic already existed in 2002 (started in 2000, it seems). And the combination is implied.

I can just imagine Paul in 2002 going "hey, why isn't anyone noticing the reference?"

And then in 2004, he ups the ante with a "Dietzel! Sweetie," and still no one notices ...

... so ten years later, That Other Comic still running, he goes all the way, with "Dietzel-sweetie" repeated and "Dietzel Sweetie" as the title, hence multiple "Dietzel Sweeties".

8-)
\
Over at the Misfile forum, talking about Questionable Content, where the gang were having a night out and Claire kept getting nonplussed or embarrassed, i remarked twice that there were sure a lot of nuns in that bar, and nobody gave me a straight line.

I finally did a post that just said "Nuns, dammit!" before someone asked me what the hell and i was able to post this link...

It's hell when you can't get anyone to feed you a straight line.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:The subtle little "clink" we just heard, was the penny dropping. One cent is the traditional cost one must pay, in order to purchase a brand-spanking-new "oh shit oh dear" moment.
We know that Tsillah can often be found at the Library. Let's hope that her Daddy isn't visiting her there right now, and that he doesn't want to use a vending machine and take this moment to ask the nice young fae lass for any other spare change that she happens to have on her.
My2Cents wrote:So I hope you are up for an adventure, assuming you do manage to get away from Monica.
Well, she did already answer the siren-call of adventure earlier that morning at school before classes started. . .
kingklash wrote:My sister had a wirehair terrier, named Killer. When he wanted to let people know he was guarding the house, his bark sounded like, "Yow-wow-woo!" Just a friendly heads up. But, if he wanted to scare someone, he'd lay low, wait until someone got real close, then suddenly he would let loose with a bark from a dog several times his size! Sometimes he did that for fun.
I knew a couple who lived in a nice house in a not-so-nice part of town with their two young kids, a fenced-in yard, and two dogs. One dog was an Alsatian of normal size, and the other was a larger and exceptionally fluffy white thing that was allegedly half Malamute, half Alsatian and half polar bear. Both of the dogs absolutely adored kids, whether their own family's or others. The dogs were also perfectly friendly and docile to adults usually; at most the Alsatian would give one woof just to let strangers know that he was watching them.

But if any kids were playing in the yard, and if a stranger started getting too close to the fence when the parents weren't in view, the dogs would get strategic. The big fluffy white one would stand out in the middle of the yard wagging her tail, looking all happy and carefree and friendly and brainless. She was the decoy. The moment that the stranger set foot into the yard, then the Alsatian would suddenly come charging out of ambush, hit the stranger in the legs from behind, and knock the person down. The fluffy white one would then run over and jump on the person's chest. Both dogs would then pin the stranger down until their owners arrived.

The dogs worked all of that out spontaneously, on their own. They had no special training or anything.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Is it me, or does Dietzel look somewhat plastic-y and 1980s-ish, on the bookshelf in that first panel?

The first official, in-comic appearance of My Little Dietzel?

Oh, and there seems to have been a sudden change in temperature... It's affecting the speech balloon, in that last panel... ;)