Not Permanent 2014-09-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Aleister Crow

Re: Not Permanent 2014-09-19

Post by Aleister Crow »

Wyvern wrote:
Aed wrote:I was trying to recall what breed Dietzel is. Now I see that he is a "tea cup" version. :lol:
Dietzel is a bull terrier, like the dog in these photos
Ah, same breed as Spuds Mackenzie.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Did anyone out there have a flashback to the reason why Scotty was banished to the remote frozen outpost in ST:Reboot?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
CPUGuy1

Post by CPUGuy1 »

Oh, Cool! A Chibi Dietzel!
Wonder if there is a Dietzel Plush out there???
Is The Earth On A Diet?
With just one million people losing weight,
so after each one had lost 'one pound' ...
will the earth weigh 1,000,000 pounds less?
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

jwhouk wrote:Did anyone out there have a flashback to the reason why Scotty was banished to the remote frozen outpost in ST:Reboot?
Poor Porthos. In the novelization Porthos materializes at the very end. 8-)
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

On the good side, she now has a puppy her own size she can cuddle.
eee

Post by eee »

The interesting thing is that when Cricket gets very upset, her magic apparently bursts free and has random effects. She and Zimmy from Gunnerkrigg Court should get together.

No, on second (and more rational) thought, Zimmy and Calista should be kept as far away from each other as possible. Different planes of existence, even. Having two reality alterers who can't control their powers, anywhere near each other and possibly setting up a feedback loop, can not be a good idea.

On another subject, I wonder how long Dietzel is going to be chibi. And what's going to happen now that he is. As a dog now roughly the correct size in proportion to the Princess as a normal dog to a human, this might encourage her to talk to him more. Although she's already said quite a bit. And surprisingly, doesn't seem to be surprised that he seems to have human like reactions to the things she says...
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Paul eventually draws Dietzel's expression and body language to convey the classic message: "I got better!"

At least she didn't turn him into a newt (although at his current size, a newt might be able to take him two falls out of three).
Aed

Post by Aed »

Since time in the Wapsi-verse runs roughly at the same rate as in real live, Dietzel is getting up in years now. The Wikipedia article on Bull Terriers reports that "A UK breed survey puts their median lifespan at 10 years and their mean at 9 years (1 s.f., RSE = 13.87% 2 d. p.), with a good number of dogs living to 10–15 years." Taking Dietzel's age into consideration, while his current size is not permanent the spell may out last him.

*Puts on the tin foil hat*

Paul is, no doubt, aware of Dietzel's advancing age and may use this "Anxiety Arc" to not only resize Dietzel but give him a new lease on life, most likely something similar to the Doctor's regeneration but without all the alien technology.

While Paul may let Dietzel go the way of all things, doing so will surely break the hearts of a few Wapsi characters and quite a few of the readers' hearts as well.
Last edited by Aed on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
displaced

Post by displaced »

Would someone please explain how she knows his name?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

displaced wrote:Would someone please explain how she knows his name?
She read his tag.
displaced

Post by displaced »

I'm sorry. I didn't see that. but shouldn't it also list his owner's name or contact info?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

displaced wrote:I'm sorry. I didn't see that. but shouldn't it also list his owner's name or contact info?
Probably just a phone number. Which she probably wouldn't recognize - if she even reads it - because (a) she hasn't known Monica that long and (b) Monica's number is probably entered in her phone and she looks it up by *name*.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Warrl wrote:
displaced wrote:I'm sorry. I didn't see that. but shouldn't it also list his owner's name or contact info?
Probably just a phone number. Which she probably wouldn't recognize - if she even reads it - because (a) she hasn't known Monica that long and (b) Monica's number is probably entered in her phone and she looks it up by *name*.
The information depends on the tag. The rabies tag has the phone of the vet and date of the shot. An ID tag should have the pets name, owner's name, address, and phone. Some exclude the name of the owner. This can also vary according to state rules as well. In some you end up with an ID tag, a Rabies Tag, and a Liscense tag. Jingle, Jingle, Jingle as they walk.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Calista wrote:Don't roll your eyes like that! You don't know her like I do!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The question is, how long before she finds out, and what will her reaction be, especially considering the effect of the anxiety arc? :?
DoctorOverlord

Post by DoctorOverlord »

zachariah wrote:After everything D has seen why would shrinking send him over the edge. If Phix appearing in Monica's home to give back Jin's book didn't do it nothing will. BEsides if he can put up with being Bumble Bee Boy he can cope with anything.
Dietzel truly has the patience of a saint :) And excellent taste in pizza delivery gals.

Can you link Bumble Bee Boy? I don't recall that.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Calista wrote:Don't roll your eyes like that! You don't know her like I do!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The question is, how long before she finds out, and what will her reaction be, especially considering the effect of the anxiety arc? :?
Here's my bid for some Moxana points:... Cricket is still up on the balcony with Deitzel, when she hears Monica talking to Phix about how she can't find Cricket anywhere, so her session with Cricket for the day may as well be over, and that she has to get back home before Dietzel get's too lonely/hungry/ has to go pee (whatever...) and Cricket ABSOLUTELY FREAKS!!! she shrank The Jaguar Girl's DOG!!!. OMG, OMG!!!... so she cooks up a Gossamer version of Deitzel, and tells The Library to poit it to wherever Monica lives... then she can attempt to undo her anxiety arc, and return Deitzel to his proper size to be switched out at a later date... BUT... she get's the simulacrum wrong... it act's like an ORDINARY dog, NOT the Deitzel we know and love... Monica finds out it's a fake dog, and goes ballistic, wanting to know WHO!? WHO did this? so she can poit them to neverwhere!... she does this, probably within range of Cricket, and thus, Crickets perception of Monica will NEVER change!... she's ALWAYS going to be the scary monster to Calista...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

DoctorOverlord wrote:
zachariah wrote: BEsides if he can put up with being Bumble Bee Boy he can cope with anything.
Dietzel truly has the patience of a saint :) And excellent taste in pizza delivery gals.

Can you link Bumble Bee Boy? I don't recall that.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/crimson-mantis/

That's just about the best expression of long-suffering patience I've ever seen... and it ties in perfectly with today's eye-roll. :roll:
Aed

Post by Aed »

I was looking for the Crimson Mantis strip as well and discovered that in the Wapsi Timeline, Monica acquired Dietzel as a puppy back in 1994. That makes Dietzel roughly 20 years old! :shock:

Those that have speculated that Dietzel may have a supernatural component may well be right.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

scantrontb wrote:Here's my bid for some Moxana points:...
What? They give Moxana points, here? I thought they only handed out cookies...
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Aed wrote:I was looking for the Crimson Mantis strip as well and discovered that in the Wapsi Timeline, Monica acquired Dietzel as a puppy back in 1994. That makes Dietzel roughly 20 years old! :shock:

Those that have speculated that Dietzel may have a supernatural component may well be right.
That makes Dietzel, in Human years, 170 years old. Yoy! :o :shock: