There They Are 2014-09-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Re: There They Are 2014-09-09

Post by shadowinthelight »

Something is seriously wrong with me. I just made panel 5 into my new cell phone wallpaper.

Also, for an added creep factor drop the whole page into your favorite image editor and see what it looks like with the colors inverted.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

So this is the "You must face your fear and overcome it" bit as seen in the motion pictures Dune and
The Empire Strikes Back.

Will she learn why the caged bird sings?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

I was like "why am I thinking of a canary in a coal mine"?

Well, duh! bird cage and gas masks ... and I guess Cricket's about to go spelunking.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Drakkenmensch wrote:This is one of those Wapsi moments where I wonder "Did I accidentally skip a day?"
Nah. We're supposed to flash back to Monica's trip inside Jet's Inner Spaces.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

Monica's hand turning skeletal isn't filling me with confidence either. Those two in front, Jaguar girl to the rear... Poor Crickett is definitely gonna need therapy when this is all over.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Bud_Fanboi wrote:Monica's hand turning skeletal isn't filling me with confidence either. Those two in front, Jaguar girl to the rear... Poor Crickett is definitely gonna need therapy when this is all over.
Ya mean this ISN'T therapy?
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

On this episode of Mythosbusters
  • What does happens when you ask a sphinx a knock-knock joke?
  • How much suction does it actually take to get a golf ball through a garden hose?
  • and do Fey have Demons or are their powers of glamor so strong to give their subconscious form?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This is basic phych 101.

1. They are in Cricket's demon space. Why so Monica can show Cricket some of her fears that tie her up inside and fuel some of her inner rage and anger. They also are at the root of her behavior issues as well.

2. This is Crickets fear of being caged. She was caged by her parents while kept locked away from the rest of the world to be protected. Then threatened with even worse confinement if she didn't take a mentor.

3. Cricket will probably end up back in the cage. This probably is a lesson about we all live in the cages we create and accept so we can live in a world of other people. Learn self control and that total personal freedom is an illusion. After all usual Fae don't restrain them selves and accept limiting themselves. All limits on them are usually enforced from the outside.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

shadowinthelight wrote:Also, for an added creep factor drop the whole page into your favorite image editor and see what it looks like with the colors inverted.
Indeed it is... What ever made you think of doing that???
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

-!-

*eep!*
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

zachariah wrote:This is basic phych 101.

1. They are in Cricket's demon space. Why so Monica can show Cricket some of her fears that tie her up inside and fuel some of her inner rage and anger. They also are at the root of her behavior issues as well.

2. This is Crickets fear of being caged. She was caged by her parents while kept locked away from the rest of the world to be protected. Then threatened with even worse confinement if she didn't take a mentor.

3. Cricket will probably end up back in the cage. This probably is a lesson about we all live in the cages we create and accept so we can live in a world of other people. Learn self control and that total personal freedom is an illusion. After all usual Fae don't restrain them selves and accept limiting themselves. All limits on them are usually enforced from the outside.
Here's the lesson.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

zachariah wrote:This is basic phych 101.

I would agree with this analysis. Especially #2. JG's specialilty is, after all, plunging beings into their worst fear. I guess that also can mean forcing them to face that fear. It may be to show her that any cage would be one of her own making and she can step outside at any time since she also holds the key. Like you said, self restraint. She just doesn't really believe that yet.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

lake_wrangler wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Also, for an added creep factor drop the whole page into your favorite image editor and see what it looks like with the colors inverted.
Indeed it is... What ever made you think of doing that???
I put the original website and copyright on the wallpaper but inverted things so they would be white on a black background.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

The one on the right is her techno demon, every teenagers fear of tech. Loosing it, being controlled by it, becoming part of the matrix. The one on the left is i think her image demon, a powerful one for teenage girls. Her fears of Fae image, being a princess, becoming or not becoming what her parents and people expect. These two are the main guards of cage that prevent her from becoming her own fully developed independent woman instead of just another faceless run of the mill dick Fae.

Of course i could be totally wrong on everything. lol just my two cents.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

oldmanmickey wrote:Of course i could be totally wrong on everything.
Which you probably will be... :twisted:

But then, that's about par for most of us... :roll: 8-) :lol:
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

[quote="Aed"]Hmmm, those two look familiar. Now where I have seen them, or someone close to them, before? Oh, I remember now:

Image Image

-- or perhaps it was Doctor Who, The Empty Child?

How about inspiration from "9"? Some wicked looking constructs in that film.

The gas masks harken back to dark images from the first World War, propaganda posters intended to terrify, gruesome photographs of the carnage. Stuff of real nightmares.
Aed

Post by Aed »

Paul may be giving us subtle clues in todays and yesterdays pages. In yesterday's page, notice how Calista's and Monica's hair blows in the wind and how the wind dies down during a quiet moment.

In today's page, take a look at panel 1. The ladies hair is starting to rise as the wind picks up. In panel two we see that the wind is now strong enough to blow Calista's hair horizontal to her head. We also see that Monica's fore-arm has become skeletal. The mood is shifting and I believe that the Old Wolf has got it spot on when he says that we are deep into the "uncanny valley".

Here is a graph from Wikipedia that I think illustrates the idea nicely.

Notice how a corpse is the bottom of the uncanny valley for still things and a zombie is the bottom of the uncanny valley for moving things.

Monica's zombie fore-arm adds to the mood shift.

Panel 3 gets creepier as Calista finds herself, seemingly, alone in the windy void. Calista's expression in panel 4 is both shock and terror.

Panel 5 shows us why. :shock:
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

It is amazing and wonderful to me how much thought and brain power we all put into analyzing and trying to predict the future of the comic and Pauls thoughts. Why if we put only part of this power into the worlds problems we .... naaa probably would not have any better luck than we do here, carry on.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
sheik

Post by sheik »

I find it interesting that Paul had to resort to WWI imagery to shock Calista.
The fact is, when it comes to the Uncanny Valley almost all of the characters of Wapsi Square would have us mere humans cowering there.
It was the merger of the motion picture film and WWI that put us beyond the simple horrors of Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster and into the realm of the unpredictably horrible where things like chemicals, radiation, and disease threatened make US into the walking dead.
I suppose, in a way, in real life we've outdone our ancestors, who could only imagine unnatural mergers of nature to create the horrible.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

sheik wrote:I find it interesting that Paul had to resort to WWI imagery to shock Calista.
The fact is, when it comes to the Uncanny Valley almost all of the characters of Wapsi Square would have us mere humans cowering there.
It was the merger of the motion picture film and WWI that put us beyond the simple horrors of Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster and into the realm of the unpredictably horrible where things like chemicals, radiation, and disease threatened make US into the walking dead.
I suppose, in a way, in real life we've outdone our ancestors, who could only imagine unnatural mergers of nature to create the horrible.
How about Zombie Steam punk? That might fit better than WW I. I don't think this is to shock her, being in her demon space means these images come from Crickets mind, not an outsider. So thee images have relevance to her. We really do not have any idea of what the Fae world in Wapsi is like do we. These may be the usual palace guards royalty use for all we know.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.