Like Wildfire 2014-08-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
My2Cents

Re: Like Wildfire 2014-08-14

Post by My2Cents »

Sgt. Howard wrote:First of all, Atsali outclassed them by offering Jessie a swimsuit when she "tailed" hers- and that, AFTER trash talk from 'Turkeys of the Sea'. Her kindness and innocence is a class of it's own. Secondly, the 'mob mentality' of the school will prove an annoyance, nothing more... if ANYONE takes offence that she won't rule the school, they will have to contend with a Fey, two Ursamorphs, two Mermaids and a VERY excitable Blackthorn... to say nothing of "Aunti Jaguar Girl", "Aunti Phix", "Aunti Shelly" (and her elemental), "Aunti Bud", and "Aunti Brandi"... did I miss anyone? Oh yea, Nudge, That shadow girl (I forgot her name) and Bia...

... right now, the poor girl is wondering "what in the name of tomato paste have I done?!?"
Actually, Atsali would probably be very relieved if that someone else takes over ruling the school, she doesn't want the job. But I suspect that the Mermaids, backed up by a Fae, aren't going to allow that to happen. Her various "Aunt's" will probably alternate between offer advice and laughing themselves sick as soon as they can get alone.

It will be fun if Bia ends up spending some time at the school and joins Atsali's inner circle. Her name translates as 'Force', she was supposed to be one of the physically strongest of the Titans, and one of Zeus's top enforcers. Avoiding falling back into that role could be one of her challenges. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CuteBruiser
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Dave

Post by Dave »

My2Cents wrote:I suspect that the Krystal's fart video of her just went viral.
That was my first thought... but Cricket could simply be looking at a direct replay on the phone.

If we start hearing laughter and whispered gossip from off-panel... yeah, that'd be evidence that Krystle hit the "Send" button. I suspect that doing so would end the friendship between these two... Jessie would have a hell of a time living it down, ever.

The Mob loves nothing more, than to see a snooty nose-in-the-air high-status social-Royal fall off of his or her pedestal... especially if it's a self-inflicted fall. This is when the message turns to "Oh, you think you're a bitch? I'll tell you what's a bitch. Payback's a bitch!"

Even if that video never comes out, Jessie no longer has the sort of practical immunity which comes along with being the King or Queen of the tribe. By stepping down (or being replaced) she's just become vulnerable. If she's been inflicting as much "fuck 'em over" pain on other kids as we (and Berdine) suspect, she's made plenty of enemies and could be facing a lot of painful payback. If she gets an itchy sensation right between the shoulder blades, as if she's in somebody's crosshairs... well, Nouri al-Maliki probably feels that way right now, for similar reasons.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

AmriloJim wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Yea i am thinking her radar return just went from b2 to b52
When I first made the 'radar cross section' remark, I had hoped there were a numeric value system, similar to drag coefficients. Your system sounds like a good way to quantify RCS.
Well actually i was talking about the radar return of a B-2 bomber verses a B-52 bomber. The actual RCS of a B-2 while classified is suspected to be .75 rcs(m2) while the return of a B-52 is 100 rcs(m2). My apologies for the confusion, as my wife keeps telling me because your ex military doesn't mean the rest of the world is.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

There is also another point that has been missed. This all started basically because Monica picked this time to appear for her little demonstration to Cricket and to tell her what going to happen. I can just hear Phix, " You did well with that, really impressed her and got her attention. I'm proud of you. Oh and you also caused Castela to find out shes a Blackthorn, almost caused The princess to get squished by her and last but not lest caused the dethroning of the schools previous school queen bee and putting Atsali into that position. Way to go kiddo!" She is gonna be as much of a deer in the headlights as Sali is.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

zachariah wrote:YBesides do we even know what mermaids eat?
Dunno about mermaids, but we know what a selkie eats.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

On reflection, I must say I'm impressed with Krystle, taking a maniacally laughing shoulder Fae so calmly.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sidhekin wrote:On reflection, I must say I'm impressed with Krystle, taking a maniacally laughing shoulder Fae so calmly.
Would you push a laughing Fae off of your shoulder? :) Or freeze, then smile and do what she asked, in the hope that she wouldn't rip your lungs out?

Her expression reminds me of the way Rod Serling described how TV "cowboy hero" Rance McGrew (an egotist and faker) looked, when he suddenly found himself in a real bar in the real Old West, facing the real Jesse James. James was very unhappy with the way that McGrew was portraying "black hat" bad guys such as himself, and challenged McGrew to a real shoot-out to settle the issue.

"Rance McGrew smiled the sort of smile which, on the face of a baby, means 'gas'."
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Dave wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:On reflection, I must say I'm impressed with Krystle, taking a maniacally laughing shoulder Fae so calmly.
Would you push a laughing Fae off of your shoulder? :) Or freeze, then smile and do what she asked, in the hope that she wouldn't rip your lungs out?
She's looking at the phone. Her shoulders are lowered. She's not even leaning away from the Fae; it looks rather like she's leaning towards her. There's no sign of fight-or-flight, that I can make out. Nor is she freezing up completely.

I wouldn't be that calm with a wasp on my shoulder. For sure, I'd keep my eyes on the wasp, not on the screen, no matter how amusing the clip. And I'm relatively calm about bugs. I know many who'd be flailing, running, diving for cover ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Sidhekin wrote:
Dave wrote:
She's looking at the phone. Her shoulders are lowered. She's not even leaning away from the Fae; it looks rather like she's leaning towards her. There's no sign of fight-or-flight, that I can make out. Nor is she freezing up completely.

I wouldn't be that calm with a wasp on my shoulder. For sure, I'd keep my eyes on the wasp, not on the screen, no matter how amusing the clip. And I'm relatively calm about bugs. I know many who'd be flailing, running, diving for cover ...
I dunno.. the wrinkled brow, crooked smile, eyes that are about to bug out... seems to me she is thinking "Just keep laughing, ohgodohgodohgod please keep laughing and don't kill me..."

Or she is trying to stifle an equally riotous fit of laughing...

I have been known to be wrong. Like the time with Lucas after the second case of beer; "Of course Jar Jar needs more lines!"...
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

How about this for a theory...

Somehow, the video of Jessie lighting her farts gets out into general knowledge at the school (hopefully by accident, and not maliciously by Krystal, as she seems to be holding the only copy right now) and a third-party individual (not yet introduced) takes over as "Queen-Bee" with Jessie getting demoted from Q-B status, and gets relegated to the Nerd-Squad for her embarrassing display, to forever tag along with the Siren and her Kid Sister the Weed, Da' Bears (who rarely say squat) that Stuck-up "Princess" Fae (they'd stay away from her ANYWAY!! who in their right mind would VOLUNTARILY hang out with a Psycho like her?!) and now the Farting Fish that is Jessie... yep, Jessie gets her wish of "not running the school" anymore, AND we get to see Atsali STILL stay under the radar... this is possible because, until proven otherwise, the only people that saw Monica were the six, maybe seven of them (Atsali, Cricket, Berdine, Nadette, Pickle, Jessie, and possibly not Krystal as she came in afterwards and asked Jessie what was going on)... as far as the "Stomping of the Fae" by Pickle, again we have only those seven (and Katherine, but she doesn't count)

However, seeing as how this is taking place in the lunch room at a high school, DURING lunch, and Pickle was able to see Monica from far enough away that even running, she couldn't get there before M poited out of there, i agree in advance that, yes, i am probably wrong.. but still... it COULD happen!!
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sidhekin wrote:She's looking at the phone. Her shoulders are lowered. She's not even leaning away from the Fae; it looks rather like she's leaning towards her. There's no sign of fight-or-flight, that I can make out. Nor is she freezing up completely.
Well, you were right and I was wrong. If they've reached the pizza-buddy stage already, things are plenty good between them! :)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sidhekin wrote:
Dave wrote:

Hansontoons wrote: I dunno.. the wrinkled brow, crooked smile, eyes that are about to bug out... seems to me she is thinking "Just keep laughing, ohgodohgodohgod please keep laughing and don't kill me..."

Or she is trying to stifle an equally riotous fit of laughing...
I get more of the fighting off bursting out laughing from watching the video yet again vibe, myself. Even if only so as to not shake off Calista. Not so much out of fear of Calista, but more like trying to be polite. I'm sure it's not very polite to shake off a fae from your shoulder, no matter the situation.