Like Wildfire 2014-08-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Like Wildfire 2014-08-14

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Well, like some kinda fire.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
DilyV

Re: Like Wildfire 2014-08-14

Post by DilyV »

Yup... like wildfire Jessie... like wildfire. :lol:

I think Cricket may have a new friend... LOL!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Well if that doesn't change the "Queen Bee" I don't know what will.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

This deserves to be linked to again: Fiiiiiirrrrre!
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jessie had better hope that no one else is attracted to the wild laughter, and comes over to see what's so funny. "Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"... and if this tale gets out, Jessie's hope for any sort of halfway-graceful retirement from Queen Bee status will go up in malodorous smoke.

She's right in one way, though... Atsali is going to have to deal with a big change in the way she's perceived and "ranked". Under-the-radar probably won't work any longer.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

i wonder if the tuna twins got some herring in the make up? oh i hope this works fish farts
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Yea i am thinking her radar return just went from b2 to b52
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

The point that's coming up is Atsali is about to have the mantle of leadership thrust upon her by the mob, like it or not. And nothing is more dangerous than a mob whose will is frustrated.
Atsali and her friends will either have to ride the wave until they can learn to control it or be crushed by it.
The Mermaids are smart enough to know that they are not going to try and challenge it and have gone so far as to come and possibly offer their aid in helping Atsali deal with a situation she will be totally unprepared for.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

At least we have some idea of what ppbbbth sounds like now.

When she says "the school decides" I wonder if she means the people/beings in the school decide or the school itself decides? That is to say, is the school sentient like the Library and makes decisions as to who will be the de-facto leaders? Maybe the school polls the student's minds directly and comes up with a summation. Or at least gauges their reactions as each hears the latest news which is spreading around like fart-fire even now.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

KnightDelight wrote:At least we have some idea of what ppbbbth sounds like now.

When she says "the school decides" I wonder if she means the people/beings in the school decide or the school itself decides? That is to say, is the school sentient like the Library and makes decisions as to who will be the de-facto leaders? Maybe the school polls the student's minds directly and comes up with a summation. Or at least gauges their reactions as each hears the latest news which is spreading around like fart-fire even now.
Being "in charge" isn't an appointment, it's people latching on to those who are more popular than themselves to try and improve their own standing. Just like real-world high schools. The mob mentality decides who's popular, who's not, and who ends up as a complete outcast.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

First of all, Atsali outclassed them by offering Jessie a swimsuit when she "tailed" hers- and that, AFTER trash talk from 'Turkeys of the Sea'. Her kindness and innocence is a class of it's own. Secondly, the 'mob mentality' of the school will prove an annoyance, nothing more... if ANYONE takes offence that she won't rule the school, they will have to contend with a Fey, two Ursamorphs, two Mermaids and a VERY excitable Blackthorn... to say nothing of "Aunti Jaguar Girl", "Aunti Phix", "Aunti Shelly" (and her elemental), "Aunti Bud", and "Aunti Brandi"... did I miss anyone? Oh yea, Nudge, That shadow girl (I forgot her name) and Bia...

... right now, the poor girl is wondering "what in the name of tomato paste have I done?!?"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I am glad to see Calista having a good laugh- she needed one. This odd band of misfits will be celebrating the 'phart video' at the 20th reunion... I HOPE they have the common sense to NOT show that footage to Castela, not sure that an attempt on her part to replicate that experiment would work out too well, her being a plant and all... do plants fart? In the Wapsi universe, that is?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

oldmanmickey wrote:Yea i am thinking her radar return just went from b2 to b52
When I first made the 'radar cross section' remark, I had hoped there were a numeric value system, similar to drag coefficients. Your system sounds like a good way to quantify RCS.
eee

Post by eee »

Well, THAT'S a semi-friendship I didn't expect to see!

Bern has obviously read Machiavelli's "The Prince" and knows what's what.
Sgt. Howard wrote: "Aunti Shelly" (and her elemental),
Would Connie be Atsali's adopted cousin?
Sgt. Howard wrote:I am glad to see Calista having a good laugh- she needed one. This odd band of misfits will be celebrating the 'phart video' at the 20th reunion... I HOPE they have the common sense to NOT show that footage to Castela, not sure that an attempt on her part to replicate that experiment would work out too well, her being a plant and all... do plants fart? In the Wapsi universe, that is?
Plants emit oxygen, not methane. Methane and oxygen, mixed, are more explosive than each alone. Jessie and Castela, therefore, can't do this sort of thing together because that might REALLY cause wildfire. :shock:
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Sgt. Howard wrote:First of all, Atsali outclassed them by offering Jessie a swimsuit when she "tailed" hers- and that, AFTER trash talk from 'Turkeys of the Sea'. Her kindness and innocence is a class of it's own. Secondly, the 'mob mentality' of the school will prove an annoyance, nothing more... if ANYONE takes offence that she won't rule the school, they will have to contend with a Fey, two Ursamorphs, two Mermaids and a VERY excitable Blackthorn... to say nothing of "Aunti Jaguar Girl", "Aunti Phix", "Aunti Shelly" (and her elemental), "Aunti Bud", and "Aunti Brandi"... did I miss anyone? Oh yea, Nudge, That shadow girl (I forgot her name) and Bia...

... right now, the poor girl is wondering "what in the name of tomato paste have I done?!?"
Yeah NO. Sali helped Jessie out of kindness and neither one thought it had anything to do with out classing anyone.

The outclassing is purely the perceived social status of the person. Since Sali has these great family connections the rest think she should be the one everyone follows or pays attention to. The "School" is mindless and many ways like a school of fish. No one is really leading the group buy they all react the the movement of one of them. That one may not even be aware the rest follow it. As the word spreads a lot of them will not be trying to figure out what Sali thinks about everything. Then using their guess to guide their actions and claim the queen thinks that. So Jessie is right Sali will be put in that position whether she wants it or not.

I do like the bears brought up exactly the point I made yesterday about what Jessie might be doing. It did need to be considered. But Jessie remark pretty much hits that on the head. Jessie is right no one controls the school all you can do is run like crazy to stay ahead enough so you don't get squashed when it rolls over you. All sorts of things will now be laid at Sali's feet that she can catch the blame, or credit, for. Not a good place to be.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Ya gotta wonder in what form the girls were when that video was made, fish or human? Besides do we even know what mermaids eat? Are they meat eaters or do they live on seaweed and plankton? Do they go around saying "I could krill for a good steak!" or "The salad looks great! Could I have another Kelping?".

Drops a gas mask and fire extinguisher into the jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Unthought-of option: Atsali's cred jumps like Cricket late to class, but since Jess was seen talking to her during this Lunchtime of temporal vagueness, the Who's Ruling During Schooling doesn't change, because the Mermaids get a big boost for becoming friends with the kid with enormous..... connections. There will be a re-shuffling in any case, to accommodate the Bug, the Cubs, and the Weed.

Meanwhile, someone finds out where Atsali and Castela came from, and re-writes "Annie" in response.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Dave wrote:Jessie had better hope that no one else is attracted to the wild laughter, and comes over to see what's so funny. "Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"... and if this tale gets out, Jessie's hope for any sort of halfway-graceful retirement from Queen Bee status will go up in malodorous smoke.
I suspect that the Krystal's fart video of her just went viral.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sorta wondering if Krystle might have been a bit jealous of Jessie...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

kingklash wrote:Unthought-of option: Atsali's cred jumps like Cricket late to class,
heh heh heh...
kingklash wrote: but since Jess was seen talking to her during this Lunchtime of temporal vagueness, the Who's Ruling During Schooling doesn't change, because the Mermaids get a big boost for becoming friends with the kid with enormous..... connections. There will be a re-shuffling in any case, to accommodate the Bug, the Cubs, and the Weed.
Jugs, Bugs, and Cubs. Oh My! "Watch out for that Killer Weed!"
kingklash wrote:
Meanwhile, someone finds out where Atsali and Castela came from, and re-writes "Annie" in response.
Castela loves "the Sun'll come out, Tommorrow...", but what Crickets been getting from her, instead, is "Its a Hard Knock Life..."