Already A Princess 2014-08-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dr. Otter

Re: Already A Princess 2014-08-08

Post by Dr. Otter »

zachariah wrote:
wwf wrote:Besides can you see Kathy, or Aunt Monica, putting up with Sali giving herself princess airs? I just hope this doesn't go to Sali's head in the long run.
I don't think it will. Despite her time with the memories of an entire civilization in her head, she still makes me think of a paranormal "Ellie Mae." ("Golly! We were in the see-ment pond, and a girl turned halfway into a fish!")
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I just can not see her as a Princess or having a posse. As for the Ellie Mae part that is possible but also remember she was the strongest of them, the fastest and would happily put a whipping on you if you got on her wrong side. Her staying under the radar comment shows she is not naive as it seems some seem to be thinking.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

One might also consider that Cricket was sent here for a double purpose. She said they realized that the child didn't need a protector. Maybe she needs a friend?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

oldmanmickey wrote:One might also consider that Cricket was sent here for a double purpose. She said they realized that the child didn't need a protector. Maybe she needs a friend?
Perhaps Cricket needs a friend and a protector?
Aed

Post by Aed »

Elvis wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:One might also consider that Cricket was sent here for a double purpose. She said they realized that the child didn't need a protector. Maybe she needs a friend?
Perhaps Cricket needs a friend and a protector?

Hmm, what could possibly protect a Fae princess from Castela, should she decide to do another Godzilla imitation with Cricket as Tokyo?

Oh, I know! A pickle fork. :lol:

*** One jar of sweet jerkins to the Pun Jar ***
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Aed wrote:Hmm, what could possibly protect a Fae princess from Castela, should she decide to do another Godzilla imitation with Cricket as Tokyo?

Oh, I know! A pickle fork. :lol:
Just so long as she doesn't use one from Morton's Utensil Company. If she uses it to poke at Castela, then that will just goad Castela into being even more angry and make her stomp on Cricket all the harder. If she doesn't use it on Castela, then Castela will have free reign to stomp all over Cricket.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Poor cricket could find herself in quite a pickle.
seriously i was more thinking cricket was sent to keep and eye on Castela by her dad after the royal guard got squished.
as363

Post by as363 »

Ah -More or less than 24 hour until our next fix from Mr.T. Depending on what time zone you live in of course. Our European visitors have the advantage there on those of us in the America's (including the Hawiian Islands) (:>)) .

Edited 2 times - for stupid fingers.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

as363 wrote:Edited 2 times - for stupid fingers.
Just washed your hands and can't do a thing with them, eh?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Let's see if we can tick off the reasons why our two mermaids are in "scared $#!+less" mode:

1. Jessie just witnessed The Jaguar Girl call Atsali "sweetie".
2. She (and her friend Krystle) also saw a little girl - whom Atsali promptly took in her arms and wrangled with - STOMP on a Fae, whom she is already in fear of.
3. She then had it established with Momma Kath's appearance that the little girl is her sister.
4. She also overheard the discussion about "Aunt Monica" and "Aunt Jin" - you know, the Timekeeper's Daughter.
5. They also saw Atsali consoling the Fae Princess - in a mode where the Fae didn't make any attempt at increasing her size to match Atsali's.
6. They also saw the bear twins apparently showing concern and respect for Atsali's sister - and friendship with Atsali, as well.

I think Atsali could probably tell the two "tuna" to do a line dance on a lunchroom table right now and they'd do it - willingly.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

You can also figure that information will be all over the school by end of day using the one of the 3 fastest forms of communication know to us. telephone, television and telateenager.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I can see why they're scared of all they have witnessed. jwhouk made a nice summary of it. What I can't figure is why they don't want to stay below the radar, at this point, and surreptitiously walk away, as if nothing had happened... You know, make no wave, act natural, don't bring attention to yourself...

Why is it exactly that they need to talk to Atsali, at this point? I can't figure it out. Especially with the second one (I forget her name) going "Aww crap"... It's obvious she certainly doesn't want to get involved, at this point.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Krystle going "Aw crap" as Jessie initiates contact with Atsali is, i suspect, very similar to how Lily would have reacted if Suzi had actually succeeded in talking to the Demon Shepherd that day they first encountered her...

Short for "Aw crap, my crazy friend is calling us to the attention of someone who can cause us to be squished just like bugs with barely a thought, and it's too late to cast 'Vanish Self'..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

That makes sense. Still doesn't explain why Jessie is initiating contact to begin with, though. But I guess we'll find out soon, won't we...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

My money is on Jessie being a princess of her own.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Princess, prom queen or head cheerleader. some type of high school "royalty"
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:You know, make no wave, act natural, don't bring attention to yourself...
She's a mermaid. Making waves is natural for her.

My guess would be that she's acting due to one or more out of three possibilities:

1) Status preservation -- She might be worried that Atsali has enough borrowed status from her friends and family to challenge Jessie's status as the school's social focus. By making contact with Atsali, she might be able to become part of Atsali's social circle and at least get in on some of that attention herself, or maybe even influence Atsali and thus maintain her own status ("See, even the niece of the Jaguar Girl wants to hang out with me!").

2) Self preservation -- Her only real previous interaction with Atsali was rather bumpy, and now Jessie realises that Atsali has protectors who could make things quite unpleasant if they get riled up. Jessie may feel that trying to smooth over any lingering resentment might help keep her from becoming filleted.

3) She actually does feel bad about how she treated Atsali (and perhaps about her school persona in general), and sees in this moment an opportunity to tell Atsali. After all of the confessions and revelations in the last ten minutes, she could retain some face because what she would have to say wouldn't really make much of a splash.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Or it could be 4) She is truly intimidated by the sheer number of powerful beings that she has seen around Atsali that she is in fear for her LIFE - "reputation" be damned.

I mean, Jaguar Girl, a whatsit, Momma Katherine...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Another reason, which occurred to me this morning, is that she simply had no choice: Atsali & Co. might have been standing near the entrance/exit for the cafeteria, and the only way to get out was to go by them. Doing so while pointedly refusing to even acknowledge her presence would probably not have been a wise move, at that point.

Of course, this does not invalidate the other points made by jwhouk and Catawampus.