Wapsi Square Trivia Quiz

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Aed

Wapsi Square Trivia Quiz

Post by Aed »

In an early story arc we learned that Katherine collects spiders. On another occasion Katherine and Monica discuss their interests and hobbies.

Q: Aside from collecting spiders, what hobbies does Katherine have?
lake_wrangler

Re: Wapsi Square Trivia Quiz

Post by lake_wrangler »

I couldn't remember all the details, so I had to look it up... Wow, that's quite the list!
Katherine wrote:I enjoy knitting and crocheting, but not at the same time, of course. I scrapbook too, but only once in a while. Last week, I thought about taking a class for stained glass, but I was too afraid.

I'm not a big sports fan, but I enjoy watching golf and tennis. They're more of an individual sport and I find that exciting. Oh, and I collect spiders although they scare me, and I talk to my betta fish every night.
A few pages later, Monica ponders the fact that she has no hobbies...

And here's the next question:

What kind of radio did Dietzel used to listen to, and why is he now dissatisfied with it?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, geeze, his Bose wave radio/CD player.

And the problem was that he could tell the difference now, after listening to Monica's Ultra Analog version of Pagliacci.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And as for our next question, a not-exactly-strip-related question:

"What exactly is 'Wapsi' short for, and what does the word mean?"

HINT: A river runs through it.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Re: Wapsi Square Trivia Qizz

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atomic wrote:
scantrontb wrote:
Aed wrote:The Geek Cred is just icing. Speaking of which, I wonder if there is any cake left?
there is no cake... the cake is a lie...
Sheryl Crow wrote:Lie to me
I promise I'll believe
Lie to me
But please don't leave
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:And as for our next question, a not-exactly-strip-related question:

"What exactly is 'Wapsi' short for, and what does the word mean?"

HINT: A river runs through it.
Brad Pitt!

No, really, Paul had to cross the Wapsinicon river to visit his girlfriend.
I remember reading that in notes under the strip back in the day, but have no way to link it...

What was not meant to be found? :shock:
Aed

Post by Aed »

I remember something similar, but I do not recall where I first found the information. The Wapsi Square Wiki has a bit of information but does not have any sources listed.

Oops, we forgot to list what the word means.

"The name of the river in the Ojibwe language is Waabizipinikaan-ziibi ("river abundant in swan-potatoes"), on account of the large quantity of arrowheads or wild artichokes, known as "swan-potatoes" (waabizipiniin, singular waabizipin), once found near its banks." Wikipedia, Wapsipinicon River
Last edited by Aed on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:Well, geeze...
Really? Either your Wapsi-fu is so strong that you're becoming condescendant, or I'm getting overly sensitive in my "old" age (46), but I didn't think it was that easy to answer...

First, one would have to think/remember why Dietzel was disappointed with any radio whatsoever, to remember Monica getting her Soviet-made vacuum tubes (vintage 1991 to 1993, but that's beside the point), go on to them listening to her record, then see the Bose Wave radio, in all of two panels only, and recognize said radio, which was never named but was drawn quite realistically (i.e. if you have seen photos of the Bose Wave radio, you would recognize the drawing of it that Paul did).

And here I thought I was being clever...

I think I'll just go cry in a corner, now... :cry:

:P :P :P 8-) :lol:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Aw, there there, I was never meaning to be condescending. I know there's some Dietzel lovers on here that probably knew the answer too.

(Oh: The portal cloth.)

In the same vein:
"What did Monica think tasted better?"
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

jwhouk wrote:Aw, there there, I was never meaning to be condescending. I know there's some Dietzel lovers on here that probably knew the answer too.

(Oh: The portal cloth.)

In the same vein:
"What did Monica think tasted better?"
Bananas http://wapsisquare.com/comics/2005-09-0 ... hecoop.gif

OK, Q) who told Tina that "Some people say Yoga is better than Sex..." ?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:OK, Q) who told Tina that "Some people say Yoga is better than Sex..." ?
*Still looking for corroborating link, thinking aloud...*

The logical choice would be to say Jacqui. Yet, I would tend to second-guess myself, because of the fact that it is such a logical choice...

And the only time I can think of where the subject would have come up, with Tina, is when Shelly started talking about sex, asking Tina if she has had any, since "the rats took over the ship", as Tina puts it, but every time she tries to ask, Tina completes the question with something completely unrelated. But I don't remember Jacqui walking in on that conversation...

Does that ring a bell, to anyone?

Help?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Lake Wrangler, you were right. It was way back in 2004. (Right before Kevin asked Monica out.)

Your question, sir?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:Lake Wrangler, you were right. It was way back in 2004. (Right before Kevin asked Monica out.)

Your question, sir?
So... Right on the person, wrong on wanting to second-guess myself, and wrong on the context... I'm not sure I'm too happy with my results... And to think, I remember going through this set of strips recently, but I don't remember Jacqui being there at the end of it.

Now, I have to actually look for a question...

Be back soon, I hope.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

OK. This is probably going to be an easy one, so I will try to not give too much away in the phrasing of the question:

Q: What moral dilemma was Tina faced with, not too long ago?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
TazManiac wrote:OK, Q) who told Tina that "Some people say Yoga is better than Sex..." ?
*Still looking for corroborating link, thinking aloud...*

The logical choice would be to say Jacqui. Yet, I would tend to second-guess myself, because of the fact that it is such a logical choice...

And the only time I can think of where the subject would have come up, with Tina, is when Shelly started talking about sex, asking Tina if she has had any, since "the rats took over the ship", as Tina puts it, but every time she tries to ask, Tina completes the question with something completely unrelated. But I don't remember Jacqui walking in on that conversation...

Does that ring a bell, to anyone?

Help?
From the Way Back Machine...
(Full size here: http://i62.tinypic.com/2cr97go.jpg )
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Confirming correct answer w/ a Bonus Entendre (double enTINAdre?) from the previous Day's strip:

Mmmmm, tiiiiiinnnnnaaaaaaaa...

PS II- Well done Wonky One...
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:OK. This is probably going to be an easy one, so I will try to not give too much away in the phrasing of the question:

Q: What moral dilemma was Tina faced with, not too long ago?
Yeah, pretty easy/memorable... an important moment.

It was whether it was proper to use her powers of demonic suggestion to compel Becky's insurance company to "do the right thing" and replace Becky's lost OCD medication.

Q: Where have we seen something ceramic being scratched, and what sound did it make?
Last edited by Dave on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Well, there is this, but it was more of a bump than a scratch, and the resulting "noise" wasn't so much the noise of the bumping, as much as the vociferation of the bumpee... :P

Grumble, grumble, grumble...
*Keeps looking*
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

There's also the "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR screeeeee" heard when Brandi used the side of a rough building, on a deserted sidewalk, to rub off half of a bowling ball... But I don't think bowling balls are made of ceramic, nor was the side of the building, for that matter...

I know, I know: Shut up and keep looking... :roll:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ah! I was sure I had it! But Phix only dug her nails into the palm of her hand, in front of the mosaic... She didn't scratch it.

But now that I think of it, I may be on the right track, and have to look at the various Phix episodes...