Just a Fairy 2014-07-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Just a Fairy 2014-07-28

Post by Catawampus »

Well, their relationship really got started off on the wrong foot there. Or under the right foot.

We've certainly been seeing a bit more of Castela's own unpleasant side lately. She's really the first paranormal who we've seen much of who totally lacks experience and maturity, which is rather a bad state to be in when you're more powerful in your own way than 99% of the rest of the people living around you.
eee

Post by eee »

I'm sure this is the beginning of a warm friendship... :shock:

I'm kind of surprised Atsali isn't grabbing Castela and pulling her off Calista. Although the shock of seeing her sister violently attack someone may have stunned her. I'm also kind of surprised Calista is letting herself be stomped on. Although the shock of being violently attacked may have stunned her, too. Once all the stunning wears off I expect a LOT of activity.

I think we may be going to learn more of Pickle's back story here. And perhaps find out how dangerous she really is.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Oh dear...this doesn't bode well. :shock: Hopefully Cricket picked up on the whole "That was Aunt Monica!" comment before she got squished and holds in her anger at least a little. Definitely some backstory here for Castela...and definitely trial by fire for Cricket's anger management issues.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

We Knew Castela could be dangerous and we Knew she had anger issues. We also know that she is still pretty damned dangerous and edgy when she grows up (from what Paul has shown us recently). The question is- does Castela have a genuine sense of right and wrong? Is she just a self-centered brat who only behaves (sorta) because otherwise she'd be lonely. I'm very much hoping that Castela can care about other people for more than just her selfish, centered interests.

OTOH, she is only six. Now is the time for her to become civilized. Katherine, Monica, Atsali, et al, are just the ones to teach her. Pickle can be saved!
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

Why do I get the feeling that Cricket is not the one that Phix and M should be concerned about?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Now we understand Jessie's reaction. But Castela's "You go squish now!" speaks of a prior encounter with the Fair Folk. Also, what does she mean, "She can't hurt me!" I can't directly recall what plants are Fae-Proof, unless she means whatever combined plant and critter makes her such.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Another factor why Calista isn't doing anything to retaliate is the last panel here:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/outta-here/

Knowing the promise she just made to not harm the Jaguar Girl's niece, I'm pretty sure that hearing the words "Aunt Monica" coming from Castela clicked in Calista's brain... right before she got stomped.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I'm probably wrong as usual, but I'm beginning to smell a setup. Pickle comes out of nowhere at just the right time especially to stomp on Cricket. Then keeps on doing it as emphasis along with slurs against Fae folk in general. I have to wonder if this is a prearranged first test for the princess. Could JG still be waiting in the wings to provide assistance as needed?

Gotta say seeing those little antenna sticking out from under her foot makes me feel really bad for the little cricket critter, her ability to take it not withstanding.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:Now we understand Jessie's reaction.
Krystle's reaction was even stronger... jumping into Jessie's arms, and now hiding behind her and using her as a [para]human shield.

I wonder whether Krystle is more frightened by an angry Fae, or by the presence of a being who thinks nothing of stomping repeatedly on an angry Fae?

In either case, she seems to be feeling entirely out of her depth!
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Is it just me or has Castela's face change, like back on the island talking to Tina?

part 1: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/life-strategies/
part 2: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/just-being-mean/
part 3: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/marshmallows/

hmmm ..... no, not the same face and definitely no horns this time ..... but strong (negative?) emotions do seem to cause Castela to change her face.

and, on this occasion, Calista's face as well :lol:

Put me in the group that thinks Castela has met 'fairies' before and it was not a good meeting.

ps: also put me down for a future friendship between Castela and Calista.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Celos

Post by Celos »

So this one is a psycho sadist like Monica, and a racist in addition? Nice.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

I sense much anger in this one. . .

So the Fae don't rank high in the plant world. Did not see that one coming. :o

So much said in so few words. . . "No It's a fairy. . ." does not get a sorry--it deserves to be stepped on.

"She can't hurt me, she is just a fairy. . ." This little girl is more than she seems, and has not had good experiences with fairies in the past. . .
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Skruddgemire wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Cricket is not the one that Phix and M should be concerned about?
Yeah ... wondering who Castela killed ... and if that was no accident, but rather the purpose for which the Whatsit was made ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
sheik

Post by sheik »

Sidhekin wrote:
Skruddgemire wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Cricket is not the one that Phix and M should be concerned about?
Yeah ... wondering who Castela killed ... and if that was no accident, but rather the purpose for which the Whatsit was made ...
Are you saying Castela is a purpose-made Fae Fighter?
That implies all is not well in the paranormal world and someone wants a war.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

(to the cadance "I want to be an airborn ranger"")
I want to be a stompin' 'whatsit'
I want to stomp all Fae to dogsh!t
Treat all their kind to pain and shame!
Send them all back from whence they came!

(breaking from doubletime to quicktime- Cadance "Canal Street")

Found myself a fairy, flittering through the grass
I jumped down, stomped around and broke it's stupid ass!
It was begging for mercy, had no will to fight
I jumped down, stomped around and mashed it through the night!
It was still a twitching, when the morning came
I jumped down, stomped around and kicked it's ass again!
Soon I was getting tired, even getting bored
I jumped down, stomped around and kicked it's ass some more
Soon my mommy was calling, said it was time for school
I fed it to a catfish that was lurking in the pool

... she would look just dandy with a RANGER brassard on the left shoulder...can our unit adopt her as mascot?
the Old Sgt.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

sheik wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:
Are you saying Castela is a purpose-made Fae Fighter?
That implies all is not well in the paranormal world and someone wants a war.
Just musing around conservation of detail and the unlikelyhood that someone so young could have several unrelated violent backstories.

Though in my musings the Whatsit was conceived (and employed) as a weapon of assassination, not war. Might even be the work of a rival Fae. And sure, said weapon may well have backfired ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Julie wrote:...and definitely trial by fire for Cricket's anger management issues.
Also a good lesson for Cricket: "If your kind gets a bad reputation due to its actions, then you can't count on friendly greetings from other people (even if they've never met you personally)". The actions of individual fae can have repercussions for all fae.
cmdrpowers wrote:We Knew Castela could be dangerous and we Knew she had anger issues. We also know that she is still pretty damned dangerous and edgy when she grows up (from what Paul has shown us recently). The question is- does Castela have a genuine sense of right and wrong? Is she just a self-centered brat who only behaves (sorta) because otherwise she'd be lonely. I'm very much hoping that Castela can care about other people for more than just her selfish, centered interests.

OTOH, she is only six. Now is the time for her to become civilized. Katherine, Monica, Atsali, et al, are just the ones to teach her. Pickle can be saved!
Sometimes Castela is a sweet adorable loving child. Other times, she's. . .not. That could simply be the result of being a youngster, as kids can be little complete psychos at times. I do wonder, though: we know that she is a hybrid of two very different types of organisms, so I wonder if she's ended up with a somewhat hybrid personality (and perhaps soul) as well? There could be more to her duality than just her species.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:Sometimes Castela is a sweet adorable loving child. Other times, she's. . .not. That could simply be the result of being a youngster, as kids can be little complete psychos at times. I do wonder, though: we know that she is a hybrid of two very different types of organisms, so I wonder if she's ended up with a somewhat hybrid personality (and perhaps soul) as well? There could be more to her duality than just her species.
Tasmanian Devil crossed with kudzu vine, perhaps? :geek:
Aed

Post by Aed »

Up till now I imagined Castela as the product of some human mad science. I never could decide if she was a human child that was experimented on to add plant abilities or a plant that was modified to give it human abilities and moral conundrums. A few times I wondered if she may have been the love child of a dryad and a human; rejected by both and thus "thrown away".

The idea that she may have been developed as an anti-fae (or other anti-paranormal) weapon had not occurred to me until the prospect was raised in this thread.

I am also wondering if some of the mean kids at the orphanage were fae, hence Castela's intense anger at them and by proxy at all fae. If that supposition is correct and the mean kids could not only tell, but provide gossamer images to act out their taunts, the impact upon Castela must have been incredibly magnified as opposed to words alone.

Any violent encounter with mean fae kids might also have left Castela with the impression that they can't hurt her. That may be true of fae children, but need not be true of fae adults or young adults so Pickle may have just bought herself some trouble that she is not able to pay for fully.

The fact that Calista is fae royalty may also draw more people into the incident. Consider what happens if someone has a tantrum and stomps a colored cloth repeatedly where others can see or somehow learn about it. Not much of a head turner, right? Now, what if that colored cloth is the flag or emblem of an empire or a religion, what then?

Any attack on Calista may be seen by some fae as an attack upon their entire kingdom. Consider also, that this is a very public attack, witnessed by everyone in the area, not a quick exchange in a mostly deserted hallway as happened earlier with Calista and Atsali. Regardless of how Calista reacts there may be royalists that will act on their own to avenge this affront. Even if Castela is immune to fae magic, what about Atsali and Katherine, are they likely to escape unharmed?
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Could it be someone had an unpleasant encounter with fairies?

Perhaps got thrown away by them?