One To Speak 2014-07-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: One To Speak 2014-07-17

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote:Everybody is acting like the girl in the last two panels is Bia, but from the dialog with Phix I'm thinking that Monica has learned to either shapeshift or glamour.
Sorry, I'm not following... just who do you think each of the characters is in each frame, and why? Your suggestion would seem to require that Monica (as herself, angry) be confronting Monica (shapeshifted, as Bia, flinching back) in the final subframe. Monica is occasionally neurotic, but we've never seen her be subject to bilocational multiple personality disorder.

The dialog makes perfect sense to me if each character is exactly who she appears to be... and this doesn't require assuming that Monica has suddenly developed another paranormal ability sans backstory.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Opus the Poet wrote:Everybody is acting like the girl in the last two panels is Bia, but from the dialog with Phix I'm thinking that Monica has learned to either shapeshift or glamour.
I'm pretty sure it is. I'm also pretty sure she has no idea what Monica is snarling at her about.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Welcome to the Family, Li'l Bia! This sort of thing is going to happen a lot.

I know how she fees, though. Apparently, I lead a very interesting life when I'm not around. Wish someone would fill me in on it.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

It is one thing to use reverse psychology, which is manipulating people to do something out of their desire to be contrary.
It is quite another thing to use a raw nerve to get someone to do what they were born to do. . . . .
She is the Demon Shepard afterall. Most of her life past, present and future revolves around fixing Bia's failure(s).
So if not Monica, then who? If not now, then when?
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Aleister Crow wrote:
I'm pretty sure it is. I'm also pretty sure she has no idea what Monica is snarling at her about.
Yeah, Phix can get an art-related job if she likes - she just did an excellent job of framing Bia.

--- puts some lampshade hangers in the pun jar
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

and apparently I'm stupid and thought Monica on the right was Phix, and Bia was Monica learning to shape shift.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

MerchManDan wrote:Oooh Phix, you are BAD. (And that's good.)
as long as she's never REQUIRED to finish that statement by adding "I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me." i'm sure that all of us will be glad; especially Monica.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

scantrontb wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Oooh Phix, you are BAD. (And that's good.)
as long as she's never REQUIRED to finish that statement by adding "I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me." i'm sure that all of us will be glad; especially Monica.
Sauce
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

eee wrote: Am I the only one astonished Phix has let Bia back into the Library, and not so she can slam her head through walls? I would have thought, even with Phix's efforts not to be a monster anymore, and Bia's contrition and return to childhood, that THAT grudge would take time to fade...
Whatever bia did, she and Phix are, basically, family, and both of them have concerns for Shelly and her dad.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Bia is at the "coltish" stage when girls who are going to be tall and slender seem to be mostly legs.

It can be intensely cute.

Actually, she reminds me of Wonder Girl way back in the early Teen Titans comics, as drawn by Nick Cardy:

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Here's an actual Cardy panel - Bia's not quite that busty, but...

WilliamCA

Post by WilliamCA »

This comic made me sign in after a year plus and reply. 9/10

At first i thought Monica had made it through, but nooooo....Phinx got her anyway!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I just noticed, after going back through the archives (Dammit, Jim, I STILL haven't found the Dr. McCoy references!), that I think I might know what Bia is about to say before Monica cut her off:

"And according to this family tree, it looks like you were right about... Tina. She's not only my great-granddaughter, but she's your niece."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin