Pep Rally 2014-07-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jay-Em

Re: Pep Rally 2014-07-08

Post by Jay-Em »

"Making them fist each other" ..... :shock: Well now, that's seriously embarrassing (and probably darned painful) revenge for embarrassment.

Note to self: Don't insult fae-folk. Or better even : steer clear in a friendly manner...

Pretty consistent with the fae of legend though. When insulted -even a little- they didn't mind abducting, or even murdering all first born in a village, or kill all livestock or produce with disease, damning a whole village to starvation.

Let's hope that Atsali and the bear-twins (maybe with a little help from a rather powerful, well-endowed little woman) "domesticate" Cricket a bit before more trouble is started by her.

Maybe, like another poster mentioned, Cricket is, indeed, explicitly sent to a school with a lot of véry powerful creatures for that exact reason.. Seems logical.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

No doubt Atsali if blissfully unaware of what Cricket means, as she should be. Which begs the question how is it Cricket is so well versed on the subject as to cause the cheer crowd to perform the act properly (assuming they did)? Also, do the bear twins really know what it is? If so, how did they find out? Anyway, no doubt many of those in the stands enjoyed the new cheerleading routine. "GIMMIE AN 'F'!!"

I wonder if the event occurred at a normal HS? If it was a paranormal one it would seem all hell would have broken loose with whatever the cheer squad, and their friends, could dish out in their true form. Even a Fae can do just so much in her own defense.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Boxilar wrote:Cricket's response may be disproportionate retribution, bit it is completely in line with the sort of thing fae do in stories and myth to those that cross them.
Proportionality is a somewhat relative concept.
My2Cents wrote:My vote is for Tina. Cricket is neither human or sphinx, so Tina can shut her down at will. This would probably force Tina to become her mentor, and major character growth.
I'm guessing that glamour would be of very limited effect on demons.
KnightDelight wrote:I wonder if the event occurred at a normal HS?
I'd think that the revelation of faerie-glamour imaginary friends at a normal school would cause a bit more ruckus than just petty spitefulness and humiliation.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Illusionary friends explains why Nadette couldn't see their faces or shadows; they never really existed.

Cricket's response may seem like overkill, but it's completely in line with old myth. Fae had a nasty temper, and a nastier sense of humor.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Can you imagine the uproar if we find out that GOTLIEB was a transfer student from Boston as well as well?!? though on second thought the timing doesn't work out very well since she was here and established, well before Cricket showed up, oh well, nice theory huh?

either way, I'll bet that Gotlieb and Cricket WON'T get along at all, and it'll put Atsali in the middle of it all.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
eee

Post by eee »

Thor wrote:
Wapsi wrote:
jwhouk wrote:...she made them do WHAT to each other? :shock: :o :oops: :twisted:
http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/ ... sting.html
I see. Not just a figure of speech in this case.

Sounds like Cricket needs to learn the concept of "measured and proportionate response".
To one of the Fae, that IS a measured and proportionate response. These aren't Disney fairies; the 'Good People' were called that by humans desperate to placate creatures who would think nothing of turning you into an unkillable but vulnerable fly and feeding you to a million spiders and their descendants for a billion years if crossed. Humiliating Cricket - and breaking her heart - as the head cheerleader did was an INCREDIBLY stupid move and she got off lightly.

I wonder what happened to Cricket's 'friends'. It appears she made gossamer phantasms: In her pain was she unable to maintain them and they disappeared? Did she let the spell lapse? Are they still around but not at school with her? Will we ever see them? It would be interesting to see what sort of friends Cricket made for herself. And if any of them resemble Atsali...
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Troublemaking royal children get tutors, same for elites of equivalent status.

But just below that, reform schools exist, even for "toffs". Minneapolis Magic High does not seem to be one of those schools.

Calista's parents must be under some unique pressure to see that she learns to socialize. Since lying in front of Nadette seems impossible, she just confessed to sexually assaulting her fellow students. And of course, mentally raping them to make that happen.

Cricket wasn't sent here because the midwest is so laid back. She's here because Minneapolis is the City of the Jaguar Girl.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
displaced

Post by displaced »

I'm curious though. Being fae means that she could have "not" done it. Remember her "Gosamer friends" , it may have been a complete illusion but it would achieve the same thing.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

I like this fae, can we keep her paul, she was sheltered intentionally by her parents she tried to make friends but the parents did more harm than good... so she started to literally make her friends. and she got betrayed and NO,no one betrays a FAE and lives, those girls were lucky to have survived..but i bet they wont forget it heh
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

OK, I know the fae believe in "don't get mad, get even". And that she's the supernatural equivalent of a Mafia princess. And she's powerful enough that an unrestrained impulse can have serious consequences.

Even so... that's an image I really didn't need. She's a juvenile, and teenagers are literally non compos mentis as the neurology rewires itself, but I'm having trouble not counting it as rape by proxy even if the victims had already been doing this in private.

Maybe she's dealing with some honest self-loathing for that overreaction and she's doing the "I don't deserve friends, I should be punished, go away" thing by bringing out her worst behaviors early on. If so, maybe she's redeemable. But that's one heck of a barrier to set up on her first day.

(Or maybe she's been sheltered enough that she misspoke in an effort to come across as the Tough Gal. I suspect not, though.)
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I suspect Yamara is correct about why she is here. Remember a couple of comics back, the "bears" said that the Fae were only slightly less dangerous than elementals. I have long subscribed to the theory that the Fae were ancient gods. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy#Dem ... an_deities If you don't know the rules of a particular culture, you can break them without intending to. Unfortunately some cultures are extremely unforgiving about that. Add in the fact that your culture was subsumed by a larger one( and you didn't make first string of the pantheon)... yeah I guess there would be resentment. Gods are their own morality, so all bets are off when it comes to retaliation. Avoid. Appease if you can't avoid. Maybe cold iron and most certainly the cruci fixus will protect you.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

displaced wrote:I'm curious though. Being fae means that she could have "not" done it. Remember her "Gosamer friends" , it may have been a complete illusion but it would achieve the same thing.
Horrible, but considerably less harmful than outright mental rape and coerced sexual assault. Kind of like a magical version of posting 'shopped pictures on a jumbotron?

I suppose that's a possible editorial out; we'll see what the extent of Calista's powers and judgment are. We're already certain she likes getting physical in a fight, so I have to assume the worst until proven otherwise.

It's still a theme sitting squarely in the middle of the cafeteria, since, all on her own, Atsali can Name That Assault in three notes. This is going to be an interesting friendship.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Julie

Post by Julie »

:shock: :o :oops: Oh my.
My2Cents wrote:My vote is for Tina. Cricket is neither human or sphinx, so Tina can shut her down at will. This would probably force Tina to become her mentor, and major character growth.
Assuming that demons can affect non-human folk in any way (unless that was covered somewhere in the forums and I missed it). If demons can't affect non-humans, then Tina wouldn't necessarily be able to shurt Cricket down.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

So much talk of Glamour, but there is another Fae ability: Charisma. The Gift Of Gab is a form of Charisma, the ability to achieve what you want with just the spoken word. If you remember what Barrie wrote about Tinker Bell's kind, they are so small, they only can hold one emotion at a time, so her murderous rage at Wendy was just normal anger without the limiters larger beings employ. Calista's anger must have been near incandescent. She walloped the squad with one hell of a geas in return. When someone is killed, that's it, they're gone, done, ended. But there are ways to lop them off at the ankles, and still leave them standing, oftimes that can be worse.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

scantrontb wrote:Can you imagine the uproar if we find out that GOTLIEB was a transfer student from Boston as well as well?!? though on second thought the timing doesn't work out very well since she was here and established, well before Cricket showed up, oh well, nice theory huh?

either way, I'll bet that Gotlieb and Cricket WON'T get along at all, and it'll put Atsali in the middle of it all.
There is no Boston behind cricket. She came here from New York. Brooklyn to be precise, now say soitenly. It wasn't Gotlieb as if it had been she would still be trying to recover from the effects and social fallout.

I really wonder what the other part of what she did was? It had to be extreme. In the normal fae manner there may have been no proof that she set it up unless she wanted them to know who did it. So she probably was even more extreme when she finished her payback.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Just dawned on me, Cricket said that the Pom-Pom demonstration was only "Part of it." *eep!*
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Yamara wrote:Cricket wasn't sent here because the midwest is so laid back. She's here because Minneapolis is the City of the Jaguar Girl.
I am SOOOOO looking forward to an upcoming scene:

Monica: "What we have heah, is failyah to communicate!"
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

First thought: Man, the forum is going to go bananas over this.
Second thought: ... that was my first thought?! What's wrong with me?!
Third thought: "Aww, what a cute little rapist."
Fourth thought: Are we going to revisit how the Tar was dealt with now, to compare and contrast?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Aed

Post by Aed »

There are too many unknowns here to judge Cricket as a rapist. Considering her age and emotional maturity (or lack of), her actions may have been nothing more sinister than a very literal "putting the pom-poms where the sun don't shine" implemented by fae imagination and magic. :shock: Older more mature observers would naturally view it quite differently, as the reactions in this forum thread demonstrates. If she didn't already know, Cricket would probably learn, in the aftermath of her "pay back", that the behavior compelled by her geas is called "fisting".

I have no idea what Atsali knows about such matters, but it will be interesting to learn and observer her reaction. :oops:

It is nice to observe Nadette is a healer of sorts as well as a seer. :D
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Aed wrote:I have no idea what Atsali knows about such matters, but it will be interesting to learn and observer her reaction. :oops:
While viewed as a type of Innocent, remember Atsali-Boo is well-read, and eidetic to boot. Even though her short stint as a walking hard drive nearly did her in, she was probably better equipped to handle the burden than most. We know not what she do know.