Gonna be offline till Thursday or so

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Gonna be offline till Thursday or so

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Heading down to visit Kate's mom and there'll be no internet
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Re: Gonna be offline till Thursday or so

Post by jwhouk »

...and it's so bad it cut off his post before he could use a period. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Have fun, AFpF; we promise not to spread any awful rumours while you're gone. ;)

I'm having some internet troubles of my own, oddly enough: The wireless adapter in my laptop keeps disabling itself at the most inopportune moments - IF I can get the bloody thing working at all. At home, it's no big deal; I can just plug directly into the router. At work, though, it's somewhat frustrating.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I is back.

Editing pictures (new cat, etc.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

MerchManDan wrote:Have fun, AFpF; we promise not to spread any awful rumours while you're gone. ;)

I'm having some internet troubles of my own, oddly enough: The wireless adapter in my laptop keeps disabling itself at the most inopportune moments - IF I can get the bloody thing working at all. At home, it's no big deal; I can just plug directly into the router. At work, though, it's somewhat frustrating.
that might mean that your adapter drivers got fubar'd via a software update somehow (windows is famous for doing crap like that, you update one thing and something else that shouldn't have been touched, get screwed up)... OR,that the thing is physically starting to fail... be careful if it emits its puff of magic smoke and becomes non-operational, it may take out your entire laptop in the process...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Parallel to Rawson's Third Law: Now that I've mentioned the problem & someone has responded, the adapter's working just dandy. :| Ah well; I'll take SMASH* to work tomorrow night & see what happens. If trouble returns, I guess that's a good indicator of borked drivers?

*That's what I named my laptop.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I would suspect the hardware first. Notebook network cards tend to be made with the cheapest chipsets the manufacturers can get away with.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

shadowinthelight wrote:I would suspect the hardware first. Notebook network cards tend to be made with the cheapest chipsets the manufacturers can get away with.
same thought here.

a few more questions: how old is the machine? and does your workplace use UPC's or surge protectors that you plug into, but not at home? or vice-verse, and that makes a follow-up question. do you use it most while on battery power or line power in both places?

the power questions are to see if maybe your incoming power at home is "cleaner" that the one at work, sometimes noise on the lines can cause issues with sensitive electronic devices like computers, etc. or if your battery is possibly going bad and thus can't provide enough power to transmit via WiFi anymore, even though it's still good enough to run the "normal" PC loads like Ethernet, which uses less power.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Hmm...the laptop is just over 2 years old, and I plug it into a standard power bar at work but an actual surge protector at home. I don't use the batteries much - maybe less than a couple of hours per week.

Worth noting: While at work last night, the adapter refused to work at all; in fact, it wouldn't even appear in the Device Manager. Here at home, it connected for a minute or two and then disconnected. Once I plugged directly into my router & looked for new driver software, Device Manager insisted the drivers were up to date.

So the problem does indeed seem to be the hardware; not a huge deal, since I found my old external adapter for my older desktop. :mrgreen: It's OK, but somewhat slower; still, I won't complain. It'll do fine, until I replace the internal one.