Then That 2014-04-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wdot

Re: Then That 2014-04-15

Post by Wdot »

Since Castella isn't human, but an animal/plant "whatsit" the probability of actual harm is practically nil. So seeing the reaction of Kath being somewhat toned down is to be expected.

Imagine a similar scenario. A rural road. A five year old boy steps into the road to get a ball and a car runs him over. His mother witnesses the tragedy and is more angry than upset. She hollers out, "Clark! How many times have I told you to look before you step into the road?!"
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

txmystic wrote:JHFGBERUFKF indeed...
Easy for you to say that!
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

I Think....

Castela eats. The chewed food goes to her 'stomach' - a root ball with the roots on the inside - where it's absorbed into Castela's viney-ness.

How the rest of the little Whatsit works, no clue yet. :?:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Playing high - speed tumbleweed again? She could have made it worse, by running with blunt safety scissors.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:
txmystic wrote:JHFGBERUFKF indeed...
Easy for you to say that!
Maybe Bud spent time with Brenda Starr's South American tribe that had no vowel sounds in their language...

And, Castela is in good company...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Fairportfan wrote:Does Castela have a warped sense of humour?
Given who her role models include, how could she not?
Fairportfan wrote:One more thought: That's one way to sober up fast...
Though hopefully the "Child Stabbed Through the Throat" method isn't going to catch on any time soon in alcohol-drinking culture. Whatsits are in short supply, Castela might get tired of it, and substitutes would likely be a bit messy.
Dave wrote:Bud's horrified exclamation looks even tougher to pronounce than north-nerd-dialect Klingon!
Remember that in Bud's western Lanthian dialect, the emphasis is on the fourth unvoiced bilabial glottal fricative of the word. So "JHFGBERUFKF", rather than "JHFGBERUFKF" or "JHFGBERUFKF" (it's all in how you hold your toes, see).
Sidhekin wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:That's how it is with vines: They grow back.
Sure, as long as the main trunk has not been cut off...
How does that work without a root system?
Quite energetically, it seems.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Jabberwonky wrote: And, Castela is in good company...
Indeed.

"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

MerchManDan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote: And, Castela is in good company...
Indeed.

My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder!
Aed

Post by Aed »

Jabberwonky wrote:And, Castela is in good company...
Could Castela's transformation earlier in this story arc and now the 'running with scissors' incident be Paul's hint toward The Saga Begins?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

{insert expletives here} That gave me a huge procession of flashbacks...

Poor Katherine. I feel her pain. Been there, done that, own the shirt...

...only it was an end table by my son's bed, and he was jumping on his bed like a little monkey, and smacked his face, and put his front incisor clean through his lip. The scar thankfully is not as bad as it started out(thank goodness my Mother gave me her remedies from the old country).

Once I got done cleaning him up and calming him down(and the obligatory calling his doctor at the hospital and making arrangements to see him) I gave him a cold pack for the swelling, and once he was relaxed enough to sleep, I ran into the garage and had a proper freak out. Flashback to my siblings and their identical scars on their foreheads(that happened four years apart) that came from scissors, and my older sibling Parent level severe freakout.

I think I'm gonna go pour myself a nice glass of Jameson and try to blur out these last two comics...they hit close to home minus the comedy. I'll prolly look at them again tomorrow and be able to laugh.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:Poor Katherine. I feel her pain. Been there, done that, own the shirt...

...only it was an end table by my son's bed, and he was jumping on his bed like a little monkey, and smacked his face, and put his front incisor clean through his lip. The scar thankfully is not as bad as it started out(thank goodness my Mother gave me her remedies from the old country).
OwOwOw. Oh, you and he have my most sincere sympathies!

I've been through that myself, on the receiving end. When I was about 7 (I think) I tripped while running up some stone steps outdoors, fell, hit my chin, and bit right through my upper lip. I ended up needing three surgeries (one major, two minor) to correct the scarring... there's still a tiny little lump deep inside the lip.

Alas, my folks didn't have your mother's remedies at hand. Fortunately it ll turned out well, nothing noticeable on the outside. With luck and time, your lad's scar will fade to the point that nobody notices it at all... fingers crossed!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:OwOwOw. Oh, you and he have my most sincere sympathies!

I've been through that myself, on the receiving end. When I was about 7 (I think) I tripped while running up some stone steps outdoors, fell, hit my chin, and bit right through my upper lip. I ended up needing three surgeries (one major, two minor) to correct the scarring... there's still a tiny little lump deep inside the lip.

Alas, my folks didn't have your mother's remedies at hand. Fortunately it ll turned out well, nothing noticeable on the outside. With luck and time, your lad's scar will fade to the point that nobody notices it at all... fingers crossed!
It's not bad per se, it's just that "I" see it, and know it's there, and know why it's there, and cringe everytime I do thinking, "Worst Mom ever."

I tripped on a part of the sidewalk(due to it settling and shifting when I was about five) and broke my front teeth on the bottom door frame. Corrective measures failed to straighten my crooked smile, and I show my son that every time he tries to run into the house.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

How about this:

When I was about 5 or 6, I let a friend convince me to sit in a tire, so as to hold it upright, while he would take a bow and shoot an arrow at the tire. It was a typical metal tipped arrow, nothing particularly sharp, but still... He missed. (Show of hands: how many are surprised? No one? Well, I sure was, at the time...)

The arrow planted itself between my right eye and the bridge of my nose! One more centimeter (half and inch) to the right, and I would not have a right eye, today...

Many years later, I was working at a summer camp, and they had some windsurfing boards, which came in two sizes. Large, and smaller (not that small, but not as large as the other ones...) The large ones were made of one piece, molded, with no seam around. The smaller ones were made of two halves, sandwiched together (top and bottom), leaving an edge all around where the top half overlapped the bottom half. We were playing with the smaller ones, without the sails, sitting towards the back of the board, to lift up the front, in a Jaws-like effect... (Can anyone see it coming? Yeah, I thought so... Though it never occurred to me, at the time...) At one point, as a board was coming down towards me, the edge of the board caught me, beside the right eye, causing a small gash (think "making my eyelid opening wider"...) I didn't even realized I'd been cut. As we paddled close to the beach, the few people there started freaking out and asking what had happened to me. It's only then that I looked at my reflection in the water, and saw that half my face was covered in blood! I went to the camp nurse, but I refused to go to the hospital that night. The next morning, she insisted, and they made me go. By that time, it had closed itself enough that they didn't bother with stitches.

A couple of years later, at the same summer camp, I was making a hitching post for the horses at the barn, and using a knife to strip the top post of its bark. It didn't occur to me to use a motion that would push the knive away from me... So when the knive inevitably (as you all saw it coming, by now, I'm sure...) slipped, I slashed my left forearm about an inch wide, and ¼" to ½" deep. I found it fascinating to look at the fat layer below the skin... This one earned me 4 or 5 stitches. I still have the scar, 28 years later...

I try to be more careful, nowadays, but I don't always succeed...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Those kind of stories remind me of the time my brother and cousin decided to combine

with

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sounds like hours and hours of fun were had by all... as they were waiting in the emergency room...
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

When I was three, I fell off a tall slide and bit through my bottom lip. The scar is most noticeable on the inside.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:I found it fascinating to look at the fat layer below the skin...
Yeah, I had somewhat the same reaction when I had to amputate half of the big toe on my right foot when I was a kid. "Ooooo!" *poke poke* "I wonder what this part does?" *poke jab*

That same feeling carried on into my university dissection labs, actually. I was one of those students who went beyond the stated steps and basically took the critters apart into their constituent molecules. I suppose that in that particular regard, at least, I never quite grew up. . .