Jinx 2014-03-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Jinx 2014-03-11

Post by jwhouk »

...Unless that Nu Gui somehow got glommed up into Shelly's brain. (She does look dangerously like how Senior Director Brandilyn Oduya looked when the Nu Gui was "in charge".)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Another odd observation: what if May wasn't lying to M?

Think about that for a second. We think it's cray-cray that Shelly and Tina are related; what if M and Jin are related?

Of course, that lays out the Final Battle of Wapsi Square: Bia vs. Mayahuel in the Royal Rumble.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Another odd observation: what if May wasn't lying to M?

Think about that for a second. We think it's cray-cray that Shelly and Tina are related; what if M and Jin are related?

Of course, that lays out the Final Battle of Wapsi Square: Bia vs. Mayahuel in the Royal Rumble.
Hmmm. Wouldn't that imply that Mayahuel must have borne a son or daughter, when she was (1) thoroughly trapped in the Demon Realm, and (2) already a golem?

The last time Mayahuel was biologically human was a long time ago... long enough that any normal path of ancestry leading to Monica from back then would be so long that the relationship would be thoroughly diluted. She'd be equally the ancestor of a good fraction of the humans alive today, via numerous paths of descent.

Granted, somebody could have been playing games with the timelines to make it possible, but I don't see evidence for that so far...
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Shelly really is looking good.Shes gone from Tom-boy to Hot Babe...with attitude. Could you imagine that "snack": "G'Ma, are you gonna eat that?" "No dear, You take it. I'm in the mood for Sweetbreads."
I also noticed how Shelly refers to Phix as G'ma to Monica calling her Grandfather "G'Pa". Is this a Minnesota thing? I would hate to think Shelly is making fun of Monica by being all haughty.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

TheDOCTOR wrote:I also noticed how Shelly refers to Phix as G'ma to Monica calling her Grandfather "G'Pa". Is this a Minnesota thing? I would hate to think Shelly is making fun of Monica by being all haughty.
I would think it is a Western US thing. The Comanche Nation is in eastern New Mexico, southeastern Colorado, southwestern Kansas, western Oklahoma, and most of northwest Texas and Monica's G'Pa might have been from one of those areas.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

The German for Grandfather/mother is Opa and Oma. I suspect the Nordic versions are something similar, and likely common among the Scandinavian heritage folks of the upper Midwest.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:The German for Grandfather/mother is Opa and Oma. I suspect the Nordic versions are something similar, and likely common among the Scandinavian heritage folks of the upper Midwest.
If I recall properly, the Scandinavian term for a matron aunt who won't stop hugging is "Ufda", right? or is that "Ahuah"?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I dunno, I'm from the right side of the Mississippi.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
Atomic wrote:The German for Grandfather/mother is Opa and Oma. I suspect the Nordic versions are something similar, and likely common among the Scandinavian heritage folks of the upper Midwest.
If I recall properly, the Scandinavian term for a matron aunt who won't stop hugging is "Ufda", right? or is that "Ahuah"?
Arrrg is closer. Ufda is the swedish "Why Me". Like Oy Vey in yiddish. It's a useful saying to use when you can't swear as much as you'd like. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:I dunno, I'm from the right side of the Mississippi.
Are you implying that there's a wrong side?
:P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I don't have my Comanche language dictionary handy, but what one would call one's grandparents depends on whether they're your Mother's parents, or Father's. Ma's mom was "Ka-Koo" with the "K" sounding close to "G" as in "Great Big Globs Of Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts." Dad's mom would have been called whatever the word would be in Arapaho, but Pop wasn't raised with a whole lot of his Choctaw or Arapaho ways, due to the struggles his folks went through in their youths. Us four kids were brought up with a mix of Kiowa and Comanche traditions, and some of the words we do know, we're not really sure which tribe they come from.

Meanwhile, my youngest nephew used to call Ma "G-Ma", so Moni's "G'Pa" isn't unheard of.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I don't know if it's been addressed before, but I've always wondered: are they saying it with a hard 'G' (Guh'Ma, Guh'Pa), or a soft 'G' (Gee-Ma, Gee-Pa)?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Id guess the soft.

===================

Datum point:

Maggie and Natalie call Kate "Ganga".
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber